Eating back calories lost from exercise - is it needed?

Options
Hey all, sorry if this has been posted before but I'm new to MFP and..well, organized dieting in general.

I currently have to lose 125lbs+ and I aim to eat around 1500 calories a day.

I make sure I eat enough, 3 meals and a snack.

I'm just wondering if it's necessary to eat back your calories burned during exercise, or eat part of them back? Wouldn't eating them back make exercise more pointless and make you lose less weight? Lol, I'm just confused by the whole thing, sorry D:

I'd appreciate some help <3

Replies

• Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have been asking this same question for 2 years now! NO ONE WILL EVER TELL ME.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Depends on your activity settings or how you determined your calorie amount. It sounds like you're not including activity since your calories are really low and you want to lose 100+ lbs. I personally eat back at least a fraction of my exercise calories because I have a deficit before any exercise so I don't need to have an even bigger deficit. But it's really a personal choice.

I will say, not being hungry helps a lot with adherence so...there's that.

Eta: I tend to eat back no more than 75% of my exercise calories because the database waaaay overestimates burns and I'd hate to undo my deficit.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, MFP already has a deficit cut out for you. You can, and probably should, eat back some of your exercise calories. If not, you're body will go into survival mode and you won't see any progress. Since it's already set up to have you at lower calories just by eating, not eating back ANY of those calories you work off will hurt you more than help.

I saw where someone said eat back about half of them on a previous thread. You can click on "Search" and type in your topic and probably find more posts just like yours with more answers.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP suggested caloric intake yes eat them back. If you got the intake from a pro, or another site, most likely they already accounted for your exercise.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    That is how MFP is designed. It does not equate exercise. The calorie goal it gives you builds in the deficit you need to meet your goals without exercise, so when you exercise you're earning more calories for the day and still hitting that caloric goal you set. Many here eat a percentage back as MFP can over exaggerate burns.

In short, yes, that's how MFP is designed.

I would also recommend clicking on "search" and entering this question.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I would for big burns/intense workouts. if you're gonna sweat and gasp for air for more than 40 minutes, myself personally would recommend eating somewhere about 50% of what MFP tells you you burned off. if you're going to log cleaning or walking... I wouldn't bother eating them back.

but that's just what I wish I would have done when I started all this. everyone's different. :) if you're hungry, eat. if you're not, don't.

best of luck!
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This is how I understand it: When you put in your goals and personal info, MFP calculates how many calories you should eat based on those goals. If you don't exercise, that number doesn't change. If you DO exercise, those burned calories are extra on top of the pre-existing calorie deficit based on your goals. I believe the choice is up to you whether or not you eat them back. If you do, you will still meet your goal. If you don't, you will likely lose more weight than projected by your set goals. Personally, I find I need to eat some of them back because my expended energy makes me hungry. I'm sure someone will correct me if my understanding of this is wrong...
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have about 100 lbs to lose also, and I eat about 1400 cal a day. My workouts right now consist of riding my stationary bike for 30 min each night. I eat my cals for the day and then do my bike. right now I am NOT eating for my calories burned. I think once you get into more intense fitness then you should. I have read once that maybe an extra healthy snack or two. Plus I always think that MFP gives way too many calories for what you did. My bike says like 225 cal burned for the 30 min and this says like 444!!! Right now I am just going to let what I burn happen and not eat.. everyone is different. But this is what I choose. Some people will say you HAVE to eat them, but I think at this point I am not going too. It seems to be working for me. I have lost 14 in the past 5 weeks! :) Eating the calories they give me and doing my small work outs. Add me as a friend if you want!! :)
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I noticed two things about MyFitnessPal. 1) It asks how many workouts/ how long per work out (so your exercise is figured in) 2) Notice also that when you fill out your profile it gives you the value in NET calories. That means that the amount of calories you end up with at the end of the day needs to end up as the number to the right of the = sign shown on your home tab.

I didn't lose any weight until I ate myself back down to that NET value. My Net value was 1200, which usually means I end up eating about 1600 Total calories a day.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    As has been said very often before, do you need to? probably not but MFP creates a deficit in calories based on no exercise so that you can lose at the rate you set without any exercise at all. Thats how I lost the first 40 lbs, no additional exercise and lost at about 1.5 lbs per week.

Now I do exercise and eat back my calories (calculated by HRM then adjusted to net) and am losing at the rate that I set my goal too.

Not eating exercise calories will just create a larger deficit and make you lose faster. Sounds good but bear in mind that many sites, including MFP and the NHS recommend a maximum loss rate of 2 lb per week. Losing too fast could cause its own set of issues such as low weight but high BF%, the possibility of gaining the weight back easily or being hungry due to low calories and giving up
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I noticed two things about MyFitnessPal. 1) It asks how many workouts/ how long per work out (so your exercise is figured in)

That's just to assess your fitness goals because whether you put a lot or no exercise there, it won't change your calorie goal.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    When I first started being able to eat exercise calories was a huge motivation for me to exercise more.

However, now that I am at a point where I want to exercise for fitness and feel good sake, I have switched to the TDEE method, where your calories are calculated to include exercise.

I love using TDEE, it makes life much simpler.

So I think it depends on you. Find what works best for you now.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I have been asking this same question for 2 years now! NO ONE WILL EVER TELL ME.

There are literally hundreds of posts where people explain why you should eat your exercise calories back. And I do not exaggerate. This question gets asked almost every day. Maybe you just don't like the answers.

Your deficit is already built in by MFP. MFP doesn't take exercise into consideration, so when you exercise, you should eat a portion of those calories back. Your MFP calorie goal is a "net" goal, not a "gross" goal.
  • KrissyRawrz
    KrissyRawrz Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many replies! I wasn't expecting such a response, thank you all for chipping in, honestly, feel like I've got a much better grasp on things now - I wish I could quote you all personally though, but so much text! Haha

I guess with dieting too it's trial and error sometimes finding what's right for you, I think I'm going to stick around 1500 a day for now whilst doing my normal daily routines as I wouldn't class me walking to the shop etc as "exercise" but when I get into proper workouts I'll add a bit more food in so that I've got more to burn off

Honestly, thanks to every one of you, can't tell you how much I appreciate the replies, and thanks for the people who've let me add them :) if anyone needs a friend feel free to send me a request too
  • KrissyRawrz
    KrissyRawrz Posts: 342 Member
    Options

There are literally hundreds of posts where people explain why you should eat your exercise calories back. And I do not exaggerate. This question gets asked almost every day. Maybe you just don't like the answers.

Your deficit is already built in by MFP. MFP doesn't take exercise into consideration, so when you exercise, you should eat a portion of those calories back. Your MFP calorie goal is a "net" goal, not a "gross" goal.

Ouch, sorry for asking then D:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I like you.
  • MaquisJim
    MaquisJim Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    sometimes I eat it and sometimes not~~I look at it as a "cushion" in my diet :)
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 small meals a day that are high in protein and i eat 1300 or less calories a day and have lost 113 lbs in 15 months and I do not use my exercise calories in my number because that's just an excuse to eat garbage for me. So in my personal journey, no I don't eat them back. I have lost the weight steadily which is just about 2 pounds per week on average. I lift, play sports and do cardio for my work outs so it is pretty intense activity and I have no problem keeping it going.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I would for big burns/intense workouts. if you're gonna sweat and gasp for air for more than 40 minutes, myself personally would recommend eating somewhere about 50% of what MFP tells you you burned off. if you're going to log cleaning or walking... I wouldn't bother eating them back.

but that's just what I wish I would have done when I started all this. everyone's different. :) if you're hungry, eat. if you're not, don't.

best of luck!

I feel this way too. I get extra hungry after weightlifting but after walking or cleaning(you know the kind that makes you sweaty) i am not as hungry. MFP recommends it because its good for your basic metabolic rate. THis is what keeps you burning calories even after exercise. I don't always eat them back. I pretty much eat when i feel hungry. Its good to switch things up every few days is what i have noticed so far.