Cant't get rid of last 20 pounds and extra belly skin!

Options
Hello guys,

I'm frustrated to say the least. I started losing weight March 2013 and have lost 70 pounds which is awesome (and I'm grateful) but I cannot seem to lose the midsection. I had a huge belly before and unfortunately the skin hasn't really gone anywhere. To lose 70 pounds and only go from a size 16 jeans to a size 12 is not that impressive and its because my midsection is still there. I started at 220 and am now 148lbs. A very honest reality evaluation and I know that I still need to lose 20 more pounds. (I'm 5'4, 28 years old). I lost all my fat in my arms, legs, face, etc but the belly is still there and its been so difficult to lose the last 20 pounds. Can someone tell me what I can do to help minimize the stomach situation and lose the remaining weight? Any diet/exercise combo out there that helped you with this problem that you'd be willing to share with me? I did calorie counting before but it doesn't seem to work anymore. Any other tips/advice? Thanks!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce... If calorie counting doesn't work, it means you're not doing it correctly... You have to weigh your food, not eat too many exercise calories back etc. You're probably eating too much.
  • Fuamami
    Fuamami Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree you can't spot reduce, but I also know that core workouts help my posture and my pooch. I think it's just sticking out less when I'm consistent with ab workouts, because my inches lost doesn't go down too much, but it feels better anyway.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    She has lost 70 pounds. She's doing something right.

I don't have the answer for you, but I want to hear what others have to say because my belly is my biggest problem.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It might just be that patience is required. I'm in the high 130s (also 5'4) and I still have a belly pooch. It's just about keeping at and losing for awhile.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Patience is a virtue. The problem areas are the last to go.

Weight lifting really helps with all over body composition. Do you weight lift or otherwise exercise? This has helped me and I've been seeing tummy improvement.

Also, as you lose body fat, you lose it all over. It might take a few years for loose skin to tighten, but it might not be perfect.
  • Jmartinleslie
    Options
    You could have diastasis recti, a separation of the abdominal muscles. This happens after pregnancy but can also happen in women who have never been pregnant, as well as men. If so, no matter how much weight you lose you will still have a "pooch" due to unsupported abdominal contents poking through.
    Here is some info: http://www.befitmom.com/diastasis_recti.html
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I don't have the answer for you, but I want to hear what others have to say because my belly is my biggest problem.

Not necessarily. A lot of people manage to lose weight being lenient with food logging, but when you get closer to your goal, and you have less calories to play with... it becomes more important to be really accurate.

I'd add that my midsection is still my problem too, especially with the loose skin (so it's impossible to know how much fat I really have left), so I know what it feels like (and although my goal is only 8 lbs away, I could probably lose another 15).
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. A lot of people manage to lose weight being lenient with food logging, but when you get closer to your goal, and you have less calories to play with... it becomes more important to be really accurate.

I'd add that my midsection is still my problem too, especially with the loose skin (so it's impossible to know how much fat I really have left), so I know what it feels like (and although my goal is only 8 lbs away, I could probably lose another 15).

That's true. I just hope there is a magical answer for my damn stomach. :sad: :laugh:
  • boomerette
    boomerette Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I will tell you. don't be discouraged. You have been doing something right to lose that 70lbs but maybe your body needs a little more intensity for the last 20lbs. I have had 4 kids and have 20lbs to lose and my stomach is also my biggest problem. My dr told me unless I get it surgically repaired I will always have a ponch (not the word she used) because my stomach is Separated. I think it would be worth getting a dermatologist or a dr to look at just so you know the reasoning behind it. It could be either of those things. I hope you find what it is you need. I would suggest a more intense workout as well as calorie counting and if that truly isn't working go to your dr to see if there is an underlying issue. we all have opinions but the best opinion you can get is from a medical professional. I am still going to do everything I can to get the extra 20lbs of weight I have on, OFF. And then I will go from there. Youre doing amazingly well don't be discouraged.
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm almost at my goal weight, but I still have a jelly belly and chunky thighs, I've been doing Pilates to try and tone up my core, I've also ordered some kettle bells and I'm going to start doing weighted workouts at home as I've heard the weights will help to tone me up.
  • jennkmetz1
    jennkmetz1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your belly not responding could be something totally different than stored fat.

http://www.redbookmag.com/kids-family/blogs/mom-blog/flat-abs-exercises-post-baby

Sometimes when you are pregnant or put on a lot of weight your ab muscles get all out of wack. I know mine have.

Especially if you had a c section, sometimes they do not fuze back together in the nice perfect 6 pack ab formation and then no mater how many ab work outs you do they will never look great.

There are some workouts to get them to match back up, I've been trying and ive got my mommy tummy down about 3 inches.