Exhaustion Eating

Everyone knows about emotional eating, but does anyone eat to stay awake or am I just really weird. When I'm really exhausted and I can't keep my eyes open at work, I start eating to try to stay awake. I'm snot sure how I developed this habit/trigger but it seems strange and illogical. I don't know why I'm so tired either. I didn't go to bed late or early. It was about normal. I slept well too.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Yep. I had this habit too. Drinking water sometimes is a good substitute or make sure you have healthy snacks at work. Something that takes a while to eat is usually best - popcorn, carrots, berries, etc.. Or if you can get up and go for a quick walk or stair climb it might be a good substitute.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Interesting observation. I do want to eat a lot when I'm exhausted from exertion. A busy, active day or a tough workout. I did some painting for a friend a few days ago and was ravenous after. It's probably an automatic reaction. Tired--->need fuel. I find that if I don't eat enough for a few days I feel exhausted. Dehydration will do the same thing.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    You are not alone, I to tend to eat more when I am exhausted. And it is a real problem for me because I have MS and a common symptom is fatigue/exhaustion.

I try to keep low calories snacks always on hand that has been key for me.
  • I totally know how you feel! When i'm studying a feel super tired my first reaction is to eat something then, i'm awake. I'm trying to wean myself off the habit though.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Your job is probably boring the hell out of you and you aren't sleeping well at night. Bad combination. Try to get up and walk around a bit if you can, keep the blood flowing to your brain. haha
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Plan to have a snack at your typical eating time and make sure to drink some water.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    It's been widely reported that lack of sleep triggers overeating and weight gain. Working nights compounds the effect (not sure what hrs you work). I worked straight nights for many years and every one would eat to stay awake on slow nights. Even now, when I can't sleep, I want to get up and eat something, I think more as a comfort tool.

Walk around, jog in place, do some stretches then drink lots of fluids. Plan ahead by having some healthy snacks available. Piece of fruit, cheese with a few crackers, hard boiled eggs, a protein shake, veggies and hummus.. there are a lot of options you can select to minimize the less healthy choices.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I would first try to determine the source of such extreme fatigue and try to address that. I don't usually feel fatigued until it's getting close to bedtime. At that time, my solution is to go to bed.

If you find that you don't have the energy to get through a normal day, I'd start looking at figuring out why.