Has Sushi been given a bad name?

Options

Replies

• katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    In because I *love* sushi. I can make it fit in my calories if I want, but I usually have it as a treat and enjoy it, because it's sushi and it's awesome.

This. If I want sushi and I don't have many calories, I just get one roll of something non-deep-fried along with some edamame or soup. I never get mayo 'cause I don't like it in my sushi (seems strange, I'd rather avacado. And both? A little unnecessary).

But mostly I just eat it on occasion and save some calories for it. The rice and oils do add up but they're too tasty for me to care much.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    So people have always told me that sushi is to be avoided on a regular basis if you care about controlling your weight.

Right.

Because Japan is littered with overweight people, and not size 00 cuties in short skirts and knee high socks.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI6oqC2YbhQWQHg6OLwQUH5FTiNKDByKy9VVJo4lR_f2eZdqB3
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So people have always told me that sushi is to be avoided on a regular basis if you care about controlling your weight.

Right.

Because Japan is littered with overweight people, and not size 00 cuties in short skirts and knee high socks.

Yea, but in Japan, Sushi is what Americans call Sashimi. They don't have the rolls and what not stuffed with other stuff. That's what I have always heard.

I love all sushi though. Americanized or not. Yum!
  • JRKWebb
    Options
    So the consensus is eat good sushi! I personally don't mind a cali roll but tend to prefer the simple raw fish variants. I guess a lot of it is people get carried away. I've seen people put away platters of Phili rolls and I just think 'damn, where do you put it?!' I say that not to judge but because I actually find sushi very satiating. I don't think i could ever devour a platter myself.
  • Bellusion
    Options
    Sushi is my absolute fave food. Miso soup and sashimi if I have few calories. Add a tuna roll if I have my normal amount of calories left. Add a philly roll if I saved up my calories specifically for it! The only thing that stops me from eating it daily is the cost.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    So the consensus is eat good sushi! I personally don't mind a cali roll but tend to prefer the simple raw fish variants. I guess a lot of it is people get carried away. I've seen people put away platters of Phili rolls and I just think 'damn, where do you put it?!' I say that not to judge but because I actually find sushi very satiating. I don't think i could ever devour a platter myself.

I can never get past 2-2.5 rolls when I go to all you can eat. And I feel like such a failure :sad:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's because there's rice and you know... carbs are so bad for you :grumble:

But a lot of places do add things to their rice, so it might be why. I prefer the plain rolls anyway (salmon/avocado) or sashimi.

And now I want sushi :sad:
  • MoosyGoosy
    Options
    Mmmm, sashimi.

It all depends on what you're getting and portion size.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    who ever told you that oughta be strung up and horse whipped...sushi is God's little treasure from Japan
  • ldrosophila
    Options

But a lot of places do add things to their rice, so it might be why. I prefer the plain rolls anyway (salmon/avocado) or sashimi.

you should go out and have some try the sea urchin (uni) for me it's so yummy
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of sushi being something to avoid
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I just watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi on Netflix today. It was a nice documentary on a sushi chef in Japan. It was very interesting to watch how much goes into making sushi when you have a passion for it. Even so, it was mentioned in the documentary how grocery stores or malls have sushi on conveyor belts that are just being pumped out. While I was watching it I was making simple sushi rolls at home. It wasn't anything fancy, it was sesame seeds, rice, nori roll, cucumber and lobster. With wasabi, pickled ginger & coconut aminos (I can't have soy). I had two rolls for 450 calories and it definitely filled me up!
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    hey does anyone have a good go to for wasabi at home the stuff I buy is never hot like in the restaurant...and I want to cry when eating sushi
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    who ever told you that oughta be strung up and horse whipped...sushi is God's little treasure from Japan
    Some places that pass of what they call sushi gives it a bad name. Hard to find good sushi.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Gimmee all the fishies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SASHIMI all the way!
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I guess some rolls would come out to a lot of calories because of cream cheese/tempura/mayo but there are tons of things you can get without any of that. I usually just opt for the sashimi and have some super guilt free protein.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

you should go out and have some try the sea urchin (uni) for me it's so yummy

I've never tried sea urchin and my husband dives for them. They sell them to a broker who imports them to Japan.

I love sushi. Not much for the Philly rolls or deep fried stuff but I do love spicy mayo :blushing:

Now I want sushi too. And I can't :sad:
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Another thing I've noticed...some people order a LOT of sushi. Like 4-5 rolls per person. Even when I used to get the Americanized stuff like shrimp tempura, I typically ate one roll and MAYBE sampled a friend's. For me though that's mainly because I am cheap. I am not spending $50 on sushi just for myself.

lol thats me. im usually down to crush 3-4 rolls. I dont know why but its a food i can jsut eat massive amounts of, or be full off just a little. Depends on how glutinous i wanna be
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I always considered sushi to be low-calorie. I mean, just look at places like Itsu. They've built their reputation around selling low-calorie food ('eat beautiful') and they're primarily a sushi place.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I really like Sushi but -

1) I only eat the raw kind - not fried; and

2) I have heard that the rice has been mixed with mayonaise and sugar but whether it is true or not.

: )

To statement number 2: No.

It's rice mixed with a vinegar sauce that is rice wine vinegar, cooking sake, a little sugar, salt and kombu.