the scale and clothes disagree

Options
The scale says I've lost 28 lbs. My wife says she can tell, and in the mirror, so can I.

However, I am still the same clothes size, even though I now have to fasten my belt 4 holes further in than I used to. I wear a 42" waist, and a 40" is still uncomfortably tight. Same with shirts, I'm still really a XXL. I am able to wear a 17.5" neck dress shirt and used to be an 18.5, but that's about the only difference - casual shirts, an XL is still too snug.

Right now I am 221 lbs, and when I was 210 lbs 6 yrs ago (when weight was on the way UP), I was a 38" waist...I can't imagine I'll lose 4 inches if I lose 11 more lbs.

What gives??

Replies

• ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My ticker speaks for itself....12 pounds difference from left image to right image. Everyone carries weight differently, you never know when those inches will come off!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've also lost about the same amount of weight and can still fit into my clothes, some are just baggier than others. I wouldn't get too discouraged over it, it just means that we can hold off a little longer on getting new stuff while we continue to lose weight. I would recommend focusing more on your fitness goals to tighten and tone up your core muscles so that when the extra does come off you've got a great base!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    for me it was the first 20 or so lbs before I saw any changes in clothing sizes to really get excited over. But now every 8-10 more lbs lost is another size. (ish)
    keep up the good work!
  • rockinright
    Options
    I'm sure it's partly how I'm built - I'm short (for a guy) with stubby legs. I am a 28" inseam - nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find in my waist size and hard enough in smaller waists.
  • tatze
    tatze Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It took me a little while, but I'm definitely noticing a difference in the fit of my clothes. I'm wearing pants I haven't been able to wear in some time. Shirts are looser too. The weird thing to me is that my rings are not feeling any looser. They are just as snug now as before. If there is any difference, it is very slight.

But keep up the good work!
  • gupton11
    Options
    I'm not sure what your exercise routine is but make sure you are working your inner and outer oblique muscles, when you do core exercises imagine a string pulling your belly button towards your spine, you can do this when you're just walking around this will help pull in your abdominal muscles.
  • rockinright
    Options
    Well I did lose 2 more lbs...and had to go in another notch on the belt. However, I think in part the belt stretches over time.