Heavy Weight (aka stuffed deep dish pizza)

Options
calibriintx
calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
This isn't a diet food. It's not low fat, low carb or low cal. It's just a delicious spin on pizza that will have people asking for either the recipe or your hand in marriage. Maybe both. I've never been to Chicago but I hear that this is basically a Chicago deep dish stuffed pizza. I call it a Heavy Weight b/c that's what it was called on the menu at the restaurant where I first tried one. They shut down, so now I make my own.

Ingredients

Pizza Dough (Recipe below if you need one)
Tomato Sauce (Recipe below if you need one)
*15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
*1/2 small yellow onion, diced
*1-2 cloves garlic, diced
*2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
*12 oz Canadian bacon, sliced to about dime size
*2.5 oz pepperoni, sliced to about dime size
*Basil/Oregano/Salt/Pepper

*These are either optional in amount or entirely. If you don't want to tomatoes, skip the diced tomatoes. If you like less cheese, only use a cup. I wouldn't use 3 cups though. Tried that once and it was redic. If you don't eat meat, GTFO. Just kidding. Just skip the meat and throw in some yummy veggies instead. I've been wanting to try spinach.

What to do

Preheat oven to 425. Aside from the dough and sauce, toss all of the above ingredients in a bowl and stir them up.

Divide the dough into two pieces. One should be about 2/3 of the dough; the other, 1/3. If you have a scale, one piece should weigh about 12 ounces; the other, about 6 ounces.

Grease the bottom and sides of a springform or cheesecake pan. I use a 9" springform.

Stretch, then roll the larger piece of dough into a round large enough (about 15" to 16") to line the bottom and sides of one pan, with some overhang. Do the same with one of the smaller pieces of dough, rolling it to about 9" to 10". It doesn't have to be perfect. Mine are never perfectly round. Just adds character when it's done.

Place the larger piece of dough in the pan, pressing it gently into the corners; you'll have some overhang. I don't even press it all the way into the corners b/c the filling will do that for me. I just make sure it's stretched enough so that it won't rip when I fill it.

Grab the bowl of stirred up ingredients and gently pour or scoop them into the dough lined pan. Make sure the filling is pretty level and then place the smaller piece of dough over the filling. Fold over the overhanging edges of dough, and squeeze/crimp to seal. Poke holes all over the top crust, to allow steam to escape, or make a couple slices with a knife.

Bake for about 15-20 min or until top looks golden brown. Remove from oven and top with tomato sauce and maybe some parm/reg. Return to oven for 10-15 min. Total cook time is 25-30 min. Sometimes I throw foil over the pizza for the last 10 min as the edges tend to get pretty dark.

As written here, the entire recipe has: cals - 2,261 protein - 160 fat - 65 carbs - 264 fiber - 18. Hungry people could probably eat 1/4 of the pie each, or if you were serving other NOMS with the pie, you could get 8 pieces out of it.

Some visuals (These aren't all the same pizza. I just grabbed the best pics I had, which isn't saying much as I was too lazy to pull out my nice camera and my phone blows)

33698522_102.jpg

33698522_3809.jpg

33698522_3798.jpg

33698522_807.jpg

33698522_1847.jpg

Pizza Dough

Ingredients
3/4 c warm water (temp should be whatever your yeast says)
1 T olive oil
1 T sugar
1.5 t salt
1T milk
2.25 c bread flour
1 t active dry yeast
basil, oregano parm/reg and rosemary to taste (I use about 1/2 t each and closer to 2 T of the parm/reg)

What to do

If you have a bread machine, add all of the ingredients to your pan and set it to pizza dough. When it's done, you're ready to go.

Otherwise combine the dry ingredients and the oils and milk, mixing till crumbs form. Then add the water, and mix and knead - by hand or stand mixer - to make an elastic, fairly stiff dough.

Place in a large, greased bowl; cover, and let rise at room temperature for 1 hour. Now you're ready to go.

Tomato Sauce

Ingredients
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 T sugar
salt/pepper/basil/oregano to taste

What to do

Pour in a bowl and stir it up. This isn't a fancy sauce. It really doesn't need much with all of the other yummy flavors. If you want something more, add more to it.

Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    As+did+I+_4ab14266609ce02f940b1548ab81844b.gif

Thank you, this is a wonderful recipe! I can't wait to try this ambrosia! Thank you, thank you!
  • calibriintx
    Options
    Thank you, this is a wonderful recipe! I can't wait to try this ambrosia! Thank you, thank you!

Enjoy!:drinker:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    NOMNOM
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    6A0PhvW.gif
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I am going to make this. Will probably throw some olives and mushrooms in there as well. Minced beef could be awesome too!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ml7c40V57q1rs4qpso1_500.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am going to make this. Will probably throw some olives and mushrooms in there as well. Minced beef could be awesome too!

I was just thinking this too! :drinker:
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    homer_drool_1.gif
  • calibriintx
    Options
    Someone requested a pic of an actual slice. Someone was starving and cut into right out of the oven so it's all melty but if you give it a few minutes to sit after taking it out and then slice it, it holds together really well:

33698522_5958.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Someone requested a pic of an actual slice. Someone was starving and cut into right out of the oven so it's all melty but if you give it a few minutes to sit after taking it out and then slice it, it holds together really well:

33698522_5958.jpg

Unf
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

33698522_5958.jpg

Lord above, that's amazing.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I'm from Chicago and yup, that looks pretty accurate.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    this looks great but......is there no...cauli... eh nevermind.

it does indeed look authentic.
    source: also from chicago area.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Yay for a real pizza!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm from Chicago and yup, that looks pretty accurate.

^ Yup. Do away with your "Heavy Weight" term, OP, for this is definitely Chicago style.

Now if only I had a kitchen to make this in...
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yummmmmm!

Going out for Chicago Pizza tonight for V Day. Been saving calories all day. But that right there? That looks awesome.
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Will make this weekend for five hungry boys!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    1284521-bender_applause_super.gif
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    What, no free samples?

:noway:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    awesome when I have earned that big of a cheat day I am going to make this one :P