Advice for dieting in an "all-inclusive" hotel?

Options
I've been following my nutrition plan pretty well so far, and have lost a few pounds. Now I'm going on a trip and I think it's one of those "all-inclusive" packages... So basically, things COULD get nasty for me. I'm sure there's basic gym equipment, treadmills and such, but I'd rather be at the beach as much as I can, unless its completely necessary for me to work off some calories.

I could track my calories up to maintenance at least, since I don't consider calorie tracking a "vacation ruiner".

Are there any tips or advice from people who've been in this situation? Is it hopeless?

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Haven't been in that situation, but I'd basically have one thought on my mind: portion control.
  • fujiko
    fujiko Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    YES! Portioncontrol! I think the buffet will be the hardest. Take a small starter plate and load it with salad leaves so that nothing else will fit on it. Repeat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Seriously though just don't go back for seconds, but enjoy your holiday!
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but I will come eat the food with you, if that helps :flowerforyou:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Portion control. But they should have a lot of healthy options. Just tell yourself that the healthy stuff is probably just as good as the rest anyway.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Most of those places have tennis courts and other various sports activities that are included too. I would check their schedule and sign up for some things like that. Rent a canoe, tennis, SUP (stand up paddleboard) etc, would be a great way to get your exercise in while on vacation! Then you can enjoy that cocktail and buffet when your done! :drinker:

Have fun!! :smile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's ok to skip a meal here and there.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    not like youre going to eat like this for the rest of your life personally I say eat and be merry and pay the pied piper when you get back home
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but I will come eat the food with you, if that helps :flowerforyou:

this is the best idea
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Haven't been in that situation, but I'd basically have one thought on my mind: portion control.

This.

I traveled out of the country last year and couldn't log. There was also lots of really yummy food and drink (including some mint tea with pine nuts that was so freaking good). I watched my portions as best I could while I was there, and did my best to mind my body's signals. When I came back, after the water weight from the excess sodium dissipated, I had actually lost a couple of lbs.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If your dining options are buffets, try to start every meal with a plate of fruit, salad, and/or vegetables, or a cup of a broth-based soup. Maybe after that you let yourself have one indulgence per meal, or maybe you only have dessert every other day, or whatever. Or maybe you don't. But if you're basing your meals on healthy foods to start and walking and swimming a lot, you should be okay.

Enjoy lots of long walks on the beach (says the person who did two vigorous rounds of snow shoveling today)!
  • andresconejo
    Options
    I've been in that position, the best is portion controll and just grab food that you rarely eat everyday, only food that worth it.
    And maybe try not ot be too restrictive and maybe you can pass over your calorie limit by a couple hundred of cals... :)
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't waste time at a buffet at any of the the all-inclusive resorts I've been to. I would just focus on portions and having a good time. The fruity drinks at the beach are what really can get you! But there's also snorkeling, tennis, beach volleyball, scuba, a bunch of things to stay active. Last time we went I would wait to have a drink until lunch (one glass of wine) and then have just one afternoon cocktail. (except the day we joined the poolside flip cup game) Then we'd have a pre-dinner drink, and yea all inclusive is just trouble! But you wait all year for vacation (if you are poor like me anyway LOL) so you may as well have fun!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of suggestions for food, but what does being at the beach mean to you? I guess some people just lay there, but BEACH!!

Walking on the beach, playing in the water and oh, so many sports available are probably better than spending any time in the gym!!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you go.

I just got back from an all-inclusive resort and it wasn't the food that was the problem it was the drink.
    Only a few of the items at the buffet were appetizing at all and I don't think I ate much more then at home. There was a lot of salt in the food so I would wait a few days after you get home before you weight yourself. Plus I was fairly active with the beach time, I love the beach and swimming.

But drinks to take to the beach, then a refill, then lunch (usually water during lunch to stay hydrated), then a drink for back to the beach, then more drinking until bed time.

I was on vacation so I didn't focus on dieting. I was there to be with the boyfriend, friends and family. I had a blast. I didn't gain any weight but I didn't lose any either.

Also 3 out of 12 of us caught a stomach bug. Its a good way to cause you lose weight but I wouldn't recommend it.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Actually from my experiences at all inclusive resorts, there has always been a lot of healthy but delicious food. Tons of local exotic fruit which is what I would eat the majority of. My last non-pregnant all inclusive trip I went on I ended up losing weight (without trying!) I also was very active, snorkeling, swimming, kayaking. I did do a lot of lounging too, though. I didn't go too crazy on the alcohol (although admittedly it doesn't take much for me) and I only drank at night. I went dancing a lot too which I am sure burned off some calories. I just relaxed and had fun and because I wasn't stressed I am pretty sure that is why I lost some weight. I did hit up the open until 2 am snack bar a few times too.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting study on how skinny vs heavy people eat at a buffet.

http://consumer.healthday.com/mental-health-information-25/behavior-health-news-56/gorging-at-the-buffet-table-tactics-may-help-you-eat-less-675526.html

It was done at a Chinese buffet, but the 2 key takeaways are:

1.) Skinny people scope out the entire buffet first to see what they want to eat. That way they can focus on the few items they really want.

2.) Skinny people chew more times per bite vs heavy people are 'speed eaters'.

I also agree with others who suggested filling up on salad, light veggies, broth, water first then go back for your main entree.

And get some fun activity in, preferably on the beach, not in a gym!

Hope that helps and most importantly, have fun!!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Lots of seafood if they have it. Shrimp and fish in particular are low cal, filling, and at least for me would be a splurge since I don't get it much at home. Also get steak, salad, fruit, veggies, and soups. Avoid tons of filler breads, mashed potatoes, tortillas, chips and other stuff that isn't very satisfying.

Mix your drinks with soda water and a bit of fruit to keep hydrated and keep your cals lower.

All inclusives tend to have activities for a lot of the day. Volleyball, water aerobics, kayaking, snorkeling etc. You can also do a lot of walking, swimming etc.

Have fun!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you are going but I am guessing a tropical island. Fresh sea food and tropical fruit is a good choice. I love to have things I would not normally buy or cook for myself at home. Enjoy and don't stress too much. You will probably be burning tons of calories on the beach and dancing the night away.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    LOL, and I'll come and tell both of you "no, don't eat that" - LOL. Have a great time, walk on the beach as much as you can (good workout), drink plenty of water....but only bottled especially if it's Mexico.
  • mikeabboud
    mikeabboud Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been following my nutrition plan pretty well so far, and have lost a few pounds. Now I'm going on a trip and I think it's one of those "all-inclusive" packages... So basically, things COULD get nasty for me. I'm sure there's basic gym equipment, treadmills and such, but I'd rather be at the beach as much as I can, unless its completely necessary for me to work off some calories.

I could track my calories up to maintenance at least, since I don't consider calorie tracking a "vacation ruiner".

Are there any tips or advice from people who've been in this situation? Is it hopeless?

dont track enjoy your trip