I really, really need advice.

Options
I've gone back to my old habits. I was unemployed for a while so I had time to exercise and eat right. I finally have a job again thanks to my sister who hired me. Here's the problem. Since it's a family business and I'm very grateful for the help the job requires a lot of time. I have to be at work from 6am until 8pm. I feel wiped out at the end of the day. I only have 30 min lunch breaks and have been cheating because I need something fast. I get home at 8:30ish and work out for an hour. I don't get to have dinner until well past 9:30. I eat what I made in the crockpot but I overeat because I only had coffee for breakfast, and something crappy for lunch. I've gained back a couple of pounds and I'm just frustrated (which doesn't help losing weigh) I can't quit my job or myself I just don't know how to find a medium.

Replies

• girlruns
    Options
    What is the job? Do you have time for a few quick snacks? (yogurt, fruit, etc.) Do you cheat at lunch because of the time constraint or because of something else? Could you pack your lunch the night before?
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My schedule is not quite as tight as yours, but I'm at work from 6 or 6:30 until 6 three nights per week. In order to keep my food under control, I pack snacks, a breakfast and lunch the day before and make "instant dinners" on the weekend. I crockpot on Saturdays, divvy food into servings, and reheat them when I get home. So far it's working. I feel a little crazy, but it's working.

Good luck!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Today I'm working 8.30am -- 9pm-10pm. I ate a peanut butter sandwich on my way to work. I brought last night's leftovers for lunch (which I ate while working at my desk), cottage cheese & fruit as an afternoon snack, a Luna bar to eat while driving from one job to the next (careful with multitasking while driving!), and I'll eat a healthy dinner tonight when I get home around 10-11pm AFTER grocery shopping.

I've been doing this (with different food combos, of course) 2-3 days a week (I work 8.30-5 the other 2-3 weekdays) for the last year and I've lost 80 pounds.
    It can be done.
  • sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options
    it's a dry cleaners with only five emplyees. But we dry clean for hotels, other dry cleaners, businesses and for regular walk in customers. I can't do the small snack idea because I have to be ironing and I can't do it over the clothes.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Why not get yourself some tv dinner and some baby carrots with 100 cal packs of hummus , things that are already portioned out and easy to grab. Lots of people work longs days and can use that as an excuse to eat bad, but you can buy a pack of lunch meat and bread and make sandwiches and soup for lunch. There is always a way around it. Keep a container of natural pb at work and bring an apple for a quick and protein packed snack.
    You can do this!!!
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I would try a shake (meal replacement). When you go to use the bathroom, drink it down fast...Just a thought. Maybe that could hlep. When I don't have time I do a meal replacement shake for breakfast and sometimes dinner. Just depends on my day. Also, a meal replacement is better for lunch than fast food. You could do the shake and a banana. Easily done in 30 min if not less. =]

GOOD LUCK!
  • hmrtym
    hmrtym Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    planning and packing food!
  • brwnsugababe
    Options
    Yeah , the shakes and a piece of fruit are a great idea for meal replacement. The shakes can be easily and quickly consumed. Special K has a nice line of snacks and meal replacement alternatives. I tried their fruit yogurt cereal today for the first time and to my surprise it was delicious and the small amount I ate held me over until lunch... I didnt even need a before lunch snack.

And if your job is reachable by public transportation, I would suggest that. You will get to have breakfast and walk a little bit each morning before and after work. And again the shakes come in handy.

Good Luck on whatever routine you try!
  • First of all ... I really do understand that you need to work ... I graduated with a Bachelor's in 2009, and I still have no job .... And I also get that you feel committed to your sister for giving you a job ... And on top of that it's a family business ..... BUT .... IMHO ....You're wearing yourself out!! That won't help with trying to get yourself healthy. You're working 14 hr days! How many days a week do you do that? I don't think that you're using the long work day to not eat healthy, but as you said ... You need to find a way to eat better while at work. Quick non-messy snacks might be the best choice ... Someone else already said carrots, raisins or some other dried fruit, an apple, rice cakes with some sliced cheese or peanut butter, or maybe just a small bowl of tuna salad with a few crackers (I moved up from completely non-messy because you said that you're grabbing fast food at lunch, so I assume that means you do get a lunch break). I wish I'd clicked the 'quote' button because I don't remember everything you said. When it comes to your crock pot dinners, you just have to use portion control. Maybe you could get someone at home to take out a pre-decided portion and put it in the fridge for you to heat up when you get home, and put the rest in the freezer out of reach ... So to speak. Have you reevaluated your goal calculations based on your increased daily activity? You should because it will change the amount of your TDEE, and increase your cal/day. The protein/meal replacement shake idea is also a good one, but I don't recommend downing anything fast because it tends to promote the mindset of 'eat and run'. No matter what lunch you decide to go with you need to sit down and eat or drink slowly ... Even if it's only 15mins. I know it's difficult, but I think with planning you can get back on track!!

KIM