Does anyone here follow a gluten free diet?

Options
Hi,

I am asking because I would like to try it out for a while to see if I feel any better. I have had symptoms on and off since my early 20's, I am now 32, but recently my symptoms have been consistent especially the last few weeks.

I have migraines, which I have medication for, persistent bloating, stomach cramps, a queasy kind of just eaten feeling, tiredness, excessive flatulence and I have been feeling like I'm on the verge of coming down with something like flu but I never do.

I have seen numerous doctors and I had scans when I was younger and have never had the migraines investigated. I have low iron levels which I have always attributed the tiredness and flu like feelings too but it is getting bad now not to mention embarrassing.

What kind of foods would I eat to diet and be gluten free?

This is just trial and error, I have not been advised by a doctor.

Also how soon would I see a decrease in symptoms if it was the gluten?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• farfalla2015
    Options
    I do!!!!! :smile:

It could take up to six months for symptoms to improve. It took my daughter only a month.

There are so many GF options out there!
  • curly1980
    curly1980 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Please excuse me if this is plain rude and you do not have to answer but do you and your daughter experience the same symptoms as I do?
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I follow a gluten free diet!
  • farfalla2015
    Options
    Please excuse me if this is plain rude and you do not have to answer but do you and your daughter experience the same symptoms as I do?

Absolutely! Stomach bloating, cramping, flatulence (lovely ain't it?) diarrhea, fatigue, fog brain (my term).

You don't have to be positive for Celiac disease to be glucose intolerant.
  • curly1980
    Options
    Thank you both of yo I will give this a go for a while and see if it all gets a bit better....I have been made out to be a crazy hypochondriac by doctors....one even told me all my symptoms were present because I was fat, I was 22 at the time and I was devestated! I was 3 stone lighter then too!

It looks really hard! Do you get most of your carbs from fruit, veg and rice?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options

Absolutely! Stomach bloating, cramping, flatulence (lovely ain't it?) diarrhea, fatigue, fog brain (my term).

I am also gluten free but when we first went GF it was just for my oldest daughter. She had most of the same symptoms and they cleared within a month for her. The whole family went GF because it was just easier for me and I discovered that I too felt better and my migraines (that I hadn't yet linked to the gluten) went away. After several months my son went to Boy Scout camp where he ate gluten all week long. He came home feeling crappy but we attributed it to the junky food they were eating. He kept eating gluten every week at church and every Monday or Tuesday he'd end up with a migraine and nausea, sometimes he'd even throw up. I finally made the connection, he cut it out and he hasn't had a migraine since.

In addition to the migraines, fatigue, stomach bloating, diarrhea and brain fog we also get mood swings (we're all very emotional if we've been glutened!) and aching muscles. The way you feel when your body aches when you've got the flu is the best way I can describe it. I am actually grain and potato free now because I've discovered that I get the same symptoms from those as I do gluten. Corn, potatoes and anything with gluten are my main triggers.
  • farfalla2015
    Options
    Thank you both of yo I will give this a go for a while and see if it all gets a bit better....I have been made out to be a crazy hypochondriac by doctors....one even told me all my symptoms were present because I was fat, I was 22 at the time and I was devestated! I was 3 stone lighter then too!

It looks really hard! Do you get most of your carbs from fruit, veg and rice?

Doctors do not have a clue about this (not all) but most. Their goal is to medicate you.

I don't do rice but I do enjoy my fruits and veggies. There are GF cereals for breakfast or have eggs. Google it, just so many options out there.
  • farfalla2015
    Options

I am also gluten free but when we first went GF it was just for my oldest daughter. She had most of the same symptoms and they cleared within a month for her. The whole family went GF because it was just easier for me and I discovered that I too felt better and my migraines (that I hadn't yet linked to the gluten) went away. After several months my son went to Boy Scout camp where he ate gluten all week long. He came home feeling crappy but we attributed it to the junky food they were eating. He kept eating gluten every week at church and every Monday or Tuesday he'd end up with a migraine and nausea, sometimes he'd even throw up. I finally made the connection, he cut it out and he hasn't had a migraine since.

In addition to the migraines, fatigue, stomach bloating, diarrhea and brain fog we also get mood swings (we're all very emotional if we've been glutened!) and aching muscles. The way you feel when your body aches when you've got the flu is the best way I can describe it. I am actually grain and potato free now because I've discovered that I get the same symptoms from those as I do gluten. Corn, potatoes and anything with gluten are my main triggers.

I think we're related (sans the migraines)

I don't do potato either and I do my best to avoid corn. I would love to be entirely grain free but It hasn't happened yet.
  • curly1980
    Options
    Aching muscles! yes! Again I was told I had mild fybromyalgia...I am definitely going to do this. Brain fog I get daily.......
  • curly1980
    Options
    I will be hitting Google hard tonight.

It's like a lightbulb has gone off.....the worst that can happen is I don't feel any better.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I also have a Fibromyalgia diagnosis but it magically goes away when I don't eat those foods. :) While I wouldn't wish it on anyone, I hope you find some relief. Here's a link for one of the GF groups on MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/129-gluten-free
  • curly1980
    Options
    I also have a Fibromyalgia diagnosis but it magically goes away when I don't eat those foods. :) While I wouldn't wish it on anyone, I hope you find some relief. Here's a link for one of the GF groups on MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/129-gluten-free

thank you
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am asking because I would like to try it out for a while to see if I feel any better. I have had symptoms on and off since my early 20's, I am now 32, but recently my symptoms have been consistent especially the last few weeks.

I have migraines, which I have medication for, persistent bloating, stomach cramps, a queasy kind of just eaten feeling, tiredness, excessive flatulence and I have been feeling like I'm on the verge of coming down with something like flu but I never do.

I have seen numerous doctors and I had scans when I was younger and have never had the migraines investigated. I have low iron levels which I have always attributed the tiredness and flu like feelings too but it is getting bad now not to mention embarrassing.

What kind of foods would I eat to diet and be gluten free?

This is just trial and error, I have not been advised by a doctor.

Also how soon would I see a decrease in symptoms if it was the gluten?

Thanks in advance

I had all of this for 5.5 years, plus terrible inflammation in my joints. My doctor knew it was autoimmune for most of that time, but since I have a family member with lupus and one with RA, we chased those for a while before my celiac test. I recommend getting tested BEFORE you eliminate gluten as I am miserable after even a small accidental ingestion.

Day 3 gluten free I woke up without a headache for the first time in more than the 5.5 years. The gastro symptoms took 2-4 mo to resolve completely. The tired/getting sick feeling took 6-8. The anemia took until October of last year to be where my doctor wants it without iron supplementation. There is no way on earth that I would eat gluten on purpose again. There are a couple of things that make me miss it - a particularly good bagel shop when they are baking and King Cake and Highland Brewing Oatmeal Porter - none of them are worth what happens when I even forget to wash the toaster oven rack after my kids use it. (Note to self: more toaster bags, stat!) My diary is open if you want to take a peek.
  • thutch40
    thutch40 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have been gf now for about a year. I have pcos and have been advised by doctors to go gluten free. It's expensive and overwhelming. I shop in bulk and make my own breads and treats. You can eat just about everything but just make sure it's gf. Just because it's gf doesn't mean it's better for u the calories r much higher. I bought the wheat belly book the recipes are easy and taste great. Good luck
  • kylinjames
    kylinjames Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was given the dreaded Celiac Disease diagnosis a few months ago (I was CRAZY in love with bread), and almost immediately found relief from the symptoms. Some will go away faster than others, it depends on the person. In the beginning it can be difficult to go GF, but it is worth it. I made the transition easier for myself by completely eliminating the GF alternatives to bread, etc - they cost far too much for my budget and just aren't as good to me. Good luck in going GF - I hope you get results from it and start feeling better! Feel free to add me if you want any help/advice!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options

I had all of this for 5.5 years, plus terrible inflammation in my joints. My doctor knew it was autoimmune for most of that time, but since I have a family member with lupus and one with RA, we chased those for a while before my celiac test. I recommend getting tested BEFORE you eliminate gluten as I am miserable after even a small accidental ingestion.

^^THIS, get tested before you change your diet otherwise you could get a false negative.

Doctors are more willing and knowledgeable about celiac disease and gluten intolerance now then they were a few years ago.

It is not something I would try on a whim, it is way more expensive and time consuming of a diet. For example a package of pasta $1.00, a package of gluten free pasta - over $4.00. I work with several people with celiac and they end up making all their foods from scratch.

Also you have an allergy or intolerance to something other then gluten. Keep track of what you eat and how you feel to take to the doctor.

Also once you have a diagnosis in Canada you can claim your gluten free groceries as a medical expense.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    I do! When I do eat small amounts in pasta, bread etc I get horrible aches. Pretty sure I'm allergic.

Gluten free is so much easier too! A lot of gf options available now compared to before. What I miss out on I make up for with sweet potatoes, oatmeal, gf protein bars, udi's choc chip cookies, bagel crisps. I could go on and on haha
  • curly1980
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice...I'm finding it ok without having to buy the substitutes but I have been caught out a couple if times by just assuming a food couldn't possibly have gluten but after feeling like poo I've read the wrapper and yep it contained gluten.

To get tested I have to go back to eating gluten and I don't know if I can do that as I feel so much better without it. Plus I think it's just an intolerance and was told it wouldn't show up on a test.

Maybe in a few months if its making me feel much better I might try the substitutes but I'm actually enjoying my food right now!

Again thank you for all you're input it really does help and its nice to know I'm not alone!
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free and I love it. I feel a million times better. I could list my symptoms, but it could take a while. LOL. They all went away with gf diet. I'm also dairy free.
  • TheContraryAthlete
    Options
    I'm gluten, dairy, soy, rice, and egg free...I was having tons of problems...weight gain, hair loss on my head, but growing on my face, body aches, hashimotos thyroid, PCOS, anemia, and my list could go on. I initially had no idea that food sensitivities could add to my issues, and didn't even know what gluten was. I've been at this for over six months, have lost 40lbs, and have been feeling great.

Gluten free is only expensive and overwhelming if you let it be. I stopped trying to 'replace' the things I was eating with the gluten free versions, and instead have changed my diet completely. I eat mostly whole foods (lots of protein, veggies, stone fruits and berries) and the only 'grain' type foods I allow myself are corn tortillas or quinoa.

You can do this...I know everyone is different, but I could feel improvement in the first week. Good luck!