My FIRST 5k!! HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is awesome. You have plenty of time to train too!

I also agree with lining up at the back...please do this! I ran a race last weekend and it was pretty icy so it was hard to pass people and there were a lot of slower people and walkers even who started close to the front or middle. I'm sure they just didn't realize but it was a decent sized event and ended up being annoying/kind of dangerous. I almost bailed trying to pass someone and I'm not even a super fast runner.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K and only went to week 4 before doing my first 5K. Just bring your phone with the C25K app on it and follow it while doing the 5K! You don'thave to run the whole 5K. I did four 5K's within a 5 month period and each time and quit training after, which I shouldn't have. I went from a full on couch potato mind you LOL

I started again and am now on week 5 day 3 and I have another 5K coming March 1st and am pumped! I am determined to get my best time ever! I am also doing the Glow Run!
  • tommed
    Options
    I agree that you have a good starting point if you can already run a mile. My best tips are to follow the program and to go to a specialty running store to get properly fitted.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    1) Line up at the back of the pack
    2) Pin your number on your front
    3) Have fun!

You have plenty of time to train.

Seriously…THIS ^^^ is such sound advice.

Train for it, c25k is a great place to start, but enjoying the event is something that is equally important :-)
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    For a 5k don't over think it. Regular socks are fine. You don't need to worry about expensive run gear or be too worried about what you eat until you get into double digit miles. Just eat whatever you normally eat before you workout. Wear whatever you wear when you normally run in. In short just do what you did for training and you'll be fine.
  • MrsBenTarr
    MrsBenTarr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    3) Have fun!

This. Definitely this. And I'm going to add #4: Run your own race -- don't pay attention to what the others are doing.

Couch to 5K is awesome.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The Glo Run looks like it'll be really good fun, C25K will get you there in plenty of time, you'll soon be throwing out statements like
    'come and do it, it's ONLY a 5k'!!!

Personally I would be fitted at a running shop for a proper pair of running shoes, if it was only the 5k you were doing I would say you could get away with just 'normal' trainers, however you will clock up a fair bit of mileage doing the C25K app and getting the right footwear is important (I didn't realise how important until I was nearly crippled with shin splits).

What I done once I had finished C25K app was I went back and started again but increased the effort on the jog phases and slowed down to comfortable jog on the walk phases (kind of interval training) and it's helped make my time faster (I still struggle but I can see an improvement).

I'm also a bit of a geek and I have a spreadsheet set up that I input my route (town, hill, flat, pavement, trail etc), distance, average pace and the splits for each mile (I run Map My Run in the background), it's helpful for when I don't feel like I'm improving, I can look back a couple of months and actually see the progress (it's one of my favourite things in the morning is inputting the info from the previous evenings run and comparing it)!!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    3) Have fun!

Can't stress this enough.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I love of all the advice, thanks guys!! I think someone should elaborate on the socks?? Smart wool good?

Personally I never had an issue with socks until my mileage got up a bit higher than a 5k would require. A good running store will have a variety of running socks, and a *good* running store will let you try them on. I have dedicated running socks for longer runs, but I don't bother for anything under 5 miles or so. They do help prevent blisters. Some have an inner fabric and an outer fabric and the two can kind of slide a little. So the fabric against your foot doesn't rub on your skin.

And it brings up a good point - while you're training, find the wardrobe that you like best. I have one pair of shorts that I've worn in all four half marathons I've run. The last thing you want at the event is some little thing bugging you. Oh, and if you get an event shirt the day before the event, don't run in it. Run in what you know.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!

I used the c25k program to start as well, and it worked great for me! I stuck with the plan as it is written, and by the end I was running for 30 minutes without stopping. :drinker: I had my first 5k race a few weeks later, so it was nice to have some time after finishing the program to continue running the full 5k distance and getting more comfortable with it. And the race you've signed up for will be a blast - great first race! It will be a fun atmosphere and you will love it! :smile:

As for race day, there's a great post here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race Great info and he covers everything from a 5k to a full marathon, and it's all good stuff to think about, helps you plan and know what to expect - really helped with a lot of my questions and "first-race jitters" I was feeling!

Good luck and have fun!
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    I've been a runner for 20 years :) 5K's are fun because they are so attainable and over pretty quickly! The Couch to 5K is a great program and I think that is all you really need to get to your 5K goal. One thing I will say is that July 12 is pretty far away -- I would say not to start your training too soon. I mean, it's fine if you are running for fun but if running isn't very fun for you or feels too stringent then starting your training too soon could burn you out before the race gets here. 6-8 weeks before the race is probably enough time.

I don't think you really need much more exercise besides the running to get ready for it. Just make sure you have a good quality running shoe (I love Asics!) and eat nutritiously to fuel your runs well. Stick to clean whole foods (lean protein, fruits, veggies, nuts, grains) and don't go too "low carb" -- you will need some good carbs to refuel your muscles (sweet potato, brown rice, whole grains are great!).

Best of luck -- have fun!! Focus on finishing for your first time instead of a specific time :)
  • amandalj
    amandalj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    First - Congrats on signing up for a race! Sometimes that is the hardest part!

Couch to 5K is fantastic - I used that to start running a few years ago and it really helped to build a solid running foundation. This also gives you plenty of time to get comfortable running that distance!

Some things that I have found along the way:

ABSOLUTLEY get fitted for running shoes. Running in the wrong shoes can make training a horrible experience and deter you from getting out there. A running store will be able to get you a great pair. And don't be afraid to ask questions or tell them what you like and don't like about the shoes they are having you try on.

Don't let setbacks get you down!! Some days running will feel so easy, and other days it will feel more like a death march. That's natural and happens to even the most experienced runner.

Make sure you have the proper clothing. I don't think you need to spend a lot of money, but make sure you are dressing for the conditions. I'm not sure where you are located, but here it is COLD. Lots of layers, hats, gloves, the works. Doesn't need to be fancy and expensive, just effective! Target has really nice affordable gear!

Most importantly - HAVE FUN!