why does my fiber goal increase as I exercise?

Options
I've started keeping track of my fiber intake & I've been having a hard time trying to meet my daily goal. Recently I noticed that when I exercise my goal is increasing and is nearly impossible to meet :sad: What I want to know is why is it increased?

Replies

• avoidingdeath
    Options
    I want to know this as well. Im lucky to get 15 grams of fiber a day and I'd love to get closer to 30 without eating bread but seems nearly impossible. Then it increases to nearly 40 or more if I exercise lol...
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I've started keeping track of my fiber intake & I've been having a hard time trying to meet my daily goal. Recently I noticed that when I exercise my goal is increasing and is nearly impossible to meet :sad: What I want to know is why is it increased?

[/quote

Because all your macros increase when you log your exercise calories. Fiber, Carbs, Fat and Protein are set as % of your calories goals, hence when your daily goal is increase, so are your macros.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My experience is that this is a new, odd occurrence in MFP. and perhaps even a coding error.

I notice the same thing, but only on the desktop version, not mobile.

Since they don't stock Colon Blow in my neck of the woods, I'm SoL. I just do the best that I can.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    How much fiber do you need? (Mayo Clinic, link attached)

How much fiber do you need each day? The Institute of Medicine, which provides science-based advice on matters of medicine and health, gives the following daily recommendations for adults:

Age 50 or younger Age 51 or older
    Men 38 grams 30 grams
    Women 25 grams 21 grams

http://www.mayoclinic.org/fiber/art-20043983
  • sccet
    Options
    I want to know this as well. Im lucky to get 15 grams of fiber a day and I'd love to get closer to 30 without eating bread but seems nearly impossible. Then it increases to nearly 40 or more if I exercise lol...

Almonds are really great for fiber (among other things).

I also like the "Carb Balance" type tortillas: 130 cals and a TON of fiber.
  • sccet
    Options

How much fiber do you need each day? The Institute of Medicine, which provides science-based advice on matters of medicine and health, gives the following daily recommendations for adults:

Men 38 grams 30 grams
    Women 25 grams 21 grams

Yar.... which is why I don't like this recent MFP change where it increases with TDEE....
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

I've added hemp protein powder to my morning fruit smoothie. It has a LOT of fiber.

http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Protein-Fiber-Pound/dp/B0012C2GFM/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392343115&sr=8-1&keywords=hemp+protein+powder
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Men 38 grams 30 grams
    Women 25 grams 21 grams

Yar.... which is why I don't like this recent MFP change where it increases with TDEE....

What? Why would it increase with TDEE? MFP is based on the NEAT system, which is why you eat your exercise cals back. TDEE includes exercise calories.

If you are doing TDEE, you can custom set your calorie goal (including fiber goals) and just log your exercises as 1 cal burns.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    MFP increases all macros with increasing calorie intake. Ignore it.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was like WTF when I first noticed it. I just try to make sure I meet my original set amounts for the macros. The change does help in whether or not I am keeping everything balanced eating back exercise calories.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb is 10g/1000cals minimum.