C25K people!

indymomof2
indymomof2 Posts: 10
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone! I see a lot about this program so I decided to look it up. I tried the first day but jogging for 90 seconds was SOOOOO difficult for me and the 60 second recovery period didn't seem like long enough! What I am wondering is, should I wait until I am smaller to attempt it! Right now, at my weight, it just seems so hard to be running! Those that are comfortable with stating your weight when you started this particular program might give me the encouragement I need! Thanks guys!

Replies

• LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 674 Member
    When I started running I was 203, in January. I don't do C25K, but I did my own program. I started walking a mile then slowly built myself up to running a little bit more of the mile than the next time. I read a lot of running books and have learned a lot. Once you can run a mile without walking, then you slowly increase your run by 10% each week. So once you are comfortable with running a mile and want to increase your distance, then move it up to 1.1 miles the next week. Just listen to your body, if you aren't feeling it, then take a day off. The books also suggest when you first start out, not to run 2 days in a row. So I usually run one day and walk the next. Your weight is not an issue, my husband is bigger than you and started running. You can do it.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    I was 202 when I started it. They say it's a 9 week program, but I've just gotten to week 7 after 4 months. I did many weeks over and over again until I felt comfortable moving on. My sister just started it on Monday and her walks are as fast as my runs, so maybe you are going to fast? I have noticed in that 4 months that my recovery time isn't as long. Like alhint states, you should do this program only 3 days a week (MWF for example) and take the other days as rest days.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Hi there :) I started the plan in June of this year weighing around 230ish and I graduated in August. If I remember right, the first week is jogging 60sec and walking 90sec. I too had a hard first day, actually, I never even completed my first day, I was 10min into it and quit...but I decided that I was only hurting myself by quitting so I continued on. I am now running my first 5k this coming Saturday. When I started my journey in April, I was 243.9lbs and about passed out after jogging for 30sec..and now I'm 204.8lbs and running a 5k :) Listen to your body, push, but don't push to the point of injury. There is also a few modified versions of the plan... here's one:
    Week 1-Walk briskly for 20 minutes
    Week 2-Run 20 seconds, walk 90 seconds for 20 minutes
    Week 3- Run 40 seconds, walk 90 for 20 minutes
    then start the regular C25k plan at week 1 and continue from there, and I'm sure you could break it down even more if you wanted too.. Good luck and I wish you nothing but the best!

Edited to say that my 'jogging' was slow that when I tracked it, it claimed I was walking semi fast...so check your pace..slow way down if need to. Also, I have the Droid and use the app C25k lite(free) and you can play your own music and the c25k lite app with turn down the music long enough to chime so you hear when to change walking and jogging :)
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Something that helped me...

This girl put together 'podcasts' that go along with the weeks. The music she picked isn't too bad, and it counts down the last 10sec of each walk/run interval. I find that I do better when I'm not staring at a watch.

You can download her podcasts here:

http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html

I'm starting this up again today. :flowerforyou:
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    I just started this program as well and I am currently 186. While I have managed to finish the first 3 days (week 1), I am actually going to do week 1 levels for at least another two running days as I am just not ready to move on yet. Do it at your pace. This is a race and move onto the next level when your body feels ready. Day 1 just about killed me and I was only able to do 6 of the running intervals. On Day 2 and 3 I was able to do 8 and my time actually improved on Day 3 so I am seeing improvement already. Listen to your body.

Also week 1 is running for 60 sec and walking for 90 secs for recovery... You have it backwards. Also, I tend to later in the intervals to walk to 2 min to let myself catch up.

Good Luck!!!
  • Thanks everyone! I just typed the intervals backwards, I was doing it right when I did it! Hopefully with all the encouragement, I can get it done! Thanks again!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    I just did my first day of Week 1 and only did 6 of the 8 runs. I'll work my way up!
This discussion has been closed.