Need to gain but stressed about eating

Options
This is my first post here. I'm currently 5'0 and this summer I was staying pretty consistently between 92 and 95 pounds. I'm very small boned, and I've always been around that weight. I've since gained a little and am finally hovering between 100-102. I'd like to get up to 130 but my problem is that I really don't get hungry. I have a sedentary lifestyle and eat a lot of pasta and add butter, but I can't seem to have enough of an appetite to get in the amount of calories I need to gain that much. Does anybody else have this problem where you constantly count calories trying to make the scale go up and are stressed about eating as a result? What is the best way to try and get the calories when I don't have much of an appetite?

Replies

• TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation; trying to add weight for bulking up a lil bit but find it a bit tough. I've added protein shakes and the like to help supplement. Have you defined your goals yet? That would really help in tailoring your dietary needs. I'm sure others will chime in on what's helping them but there are plenty of resources about in regards to supplementing your meals. I'm currently learning a lot about nutrition and what's best for my situation. Again, it will all depend on what your goals are.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    OK, this isn't a problem we see very often, but at 5'0, 130 pushes you into the overweight category; you are currently in the healthy category. Why have you chosen that weight as your goal?

Are you doing strength training so that the weight you put on is muscle?

However, since you are at the bottom of the healthy weight, I will bite: Eat calorie dense foods, like nuts. Drink full fat milk. Cook with healthy oils, like olive oil. Have some avocado.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you can post your full stats maybe people can have an actual data we can consider to recommend for your calorie intake and/or exercsise. For example your body composition, bodyfat, activity, etc.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    OK, this isn't a problem we see very often, but at 5'0, 130 pushes you into the overweight category; you are currently in the healthy category. Why have you chosen that weight as your goal?

Exactly. I'm wondering the same thing myself. Hard to believe, frankly.
  • duna_pruna
    duna_pruna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't now, but when I was pregnant I had food aversion because I was so sick. I was able to keep enough calories in to protect the baby by drinking cold shakes. My husband would blend soy milk, banana, protein powder, and vanilla with ice. I would sip this for an hour or more. I drank 4 of these a day without throwing up. If you can manage to exercise, you may build more of an appetite too.
  • b2kelly
    Options
    to gain weight I can def help with this;

1) Chicken Wings (probably the fattest thing on earth and least filling) eat a box of these often and you will be well on your way to Lard City

2) Don't stop with wings, eat pizza, pasta, basically anything with red sauce and a wheat component will get you ready to guest star on the Sopranos in no time!

3) Feeling down? nothing washes tears down better than a pint of haggen dazs, they have all sorts of flavors, I can recommended "Rocky Road to Depression"

Just follow this diet for 3 days and you will be at your fitness goal.
  • Seemberg
    Options
    I have this problem, too. I saw a nutritionist who said calories are more important than nutrients for the underweight, so I switched to whole milk, and even use cream in my lattes, smoothies, casseroles, etc. I find it easier to drink than eat, when I'm not hungry, so lots of smoothies and lattes. I also add ground flax seeds to my smoothies. I drink more fruit juice, only unsweetened ones, but they have a lot of calories. Good luck.