Does running get easier?

Options
Hey all. As some of you may know, I am doing the c25k program and loving it! I got off the treadmill and completed a run on the track today and it was DIFFICULT. So much so that I went from week 3 back to week 2 and I don't regret it. I'm going to just keep going from there. That said, there is nothing like the accomplishment of running, and I can't wait until my first 5k in 58 days.

So I am going to keep at it no matter how hard it is. If I have to change something, I will. I am also doing well with calorie counting and losing weight. Here is my question...
Will running get easier before I lose this weight? I have about 100 lbs to lose total, and I just hope that I can get more comfortable running before then. I know running will always be challenging, and without that, I wouldn't experience the triumph of completing a run, but I am curious about the "hardness" of it. Make sense?

Thoughts?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yes, it definitely gets easier.

Keep up the good work and great attitude! :drinker:
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Running gets easier.
    It is a jump on your body to go from Treadmill to outside. Outside is harder. Uneven ground, up and down inclines etc.
    Good plan to back down a week.
    Keep it up you are doing fine!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Keep going.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Yep, it gets easier. Stick with it. My slim husband and my slim cousin both started C25K over a year ago, right after I did. They thought that they were going to die after every 30 second interval, just like I did. Go slow, stick with it, and try to level up each week. You may end the last run on every week thinking "OMG! There is NO WAY that I can do the next one!", but you will surprise yourself with what you are capable of.

I LOVE running. Distance, tempo, whatever. As long as it's on a trail, I'm happy. But the first month or two is hard, it just is, for pretty much everyone. Runners are just the ones who stick it out anyway, and make it through that tough period.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes it gets easier. The first three weeks or so I thought I might die.
  • C25K is an awesome app but I also like the Zombie Run app it is fun, almost like a video game and keeps your interests! Good luck!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Dear lord I sure hope so.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will. I had to repeat certain weeks, but I managed to keep progressing at my own pace.. I couldn't believe how great it felt when I finally did 20 minutes. I never would have believed it. Best of luck! You got this!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    yes, it will get easier than you will want more challenges to make it harder again. ;) plus you do get faster as you lose weight too.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yes and no!

It gets easier to go at the pace you are now, but if you want to get faster you will still have to push yourself. But the great thing is that when it gets easier, you can run for a longer time and it feels like a great accomplishment.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. They always say to add a little incline to the treadmill because running outside is harder. Can't say I actually do it, but it does seem like good advice.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    First off, great job! Keep up the great training!!!

Second off, running does get easier. As your body adjusts to the workload, so does your mind. Exercising takes both body and mind. Sometimes your body will tell you when you're tired from something but sometimes your mind will tell you instead. So, as you keep doing it, both your body and your mind will adjust to your new workload. And it will become easier.

Third off, and this is the tricky part: Do you actually LIKE running? I know you say you feel the accomplishment of the finish. But do you like it while you're doing it? Not everybody likes running. Some people absolutely detest it. Running can be like licorice - you either love it or you hate it. If you're struggling because you like it but stink at it, then that's one thing. But if you're struggling because you simply don't like it even though you keep trying? The odds are if this is the case then you're never actually going to like running.

I hope this isn't the case. I personally love running. It's an unbeatable high. But I know that what's great for me sucks for other people. And if it's not the case and you really do love running? Then yes it'll definitely get easier.
  • sundog10
    sundog10 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    yes, at the beginning it is hard but just stick with it; you are doing a wonderful job. Going from the inside to the ouside is a big change; and one day you will be running and have that great feeling of enjoying running so much. then you will want to challenge yourself more; lol Good luck on the race. You will do great just finishing . and don't forget to be proud of yourself too.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yes! And when you start running outside, you will find it to be absolutely exhilarating. You'll see other runners and you will acknowledge each other with a smile, grunt or head nod and then you will know that you indeed are a true runner and won't even realize the distance and speed you achieved. It only matters that you keep going forward one step at a time. Dang, I wish it would stop snowing.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Yes.

And then it gets so easy, you start thinking of ways to make it harder. "I can run further!", "I can run faster!" . But by then, you enjoy it so much it doesn't seem like work.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 8 months now and have yet to find it easier, exhilarating, joyful, etc. It's still a pain in the *kitten* but i do it anyway because it helps me burn calories.

I started with C25K in July and just started Hal Higdon's program for a 10K.

I don't think every person is meant to be a runner. Too many biomechanical variables come into play. Then there is the mental aspect of it all.

Maybe one day I will learn to love it. Not today.
  • rocketman_nz
    Options
    I did week 1 Day 1, 2 days ago and my legs still sore. the calves were almost cramping up on me on my warm down walk so hopefully I can manage to get through Day 2 tonight
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've always hated running, but don't have access to a gym. It took me probably a month before I actually started feeling comfortable, like it was something I could DO without dying. Sometimes now, I even enjoy it, although admittedly, I don't more often than not :D
  • kesciamuhammad
    kesciamuhammad Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets easier...so much so that you will have to schedule rest and recovery into your workouts or risk injury!
  • kesciamuhammad
    kesciamuhammad Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes! And when you start running outside, you will find it to be absolutely exhilarating. You'll see other runners and you will acknowledge each other with a smile, grunt or head nod and then you will know that you indeed are a true runner and won't even realize the distance and speed you achieved. It only matters that you keep going forward one step at a time. Dang, I wish it would stop snowing.
    QFT