Hungry at night

Options
I eat my recommended calories for the day but wake up at like 3:00 in the morning craving something sweet or peanut butter and find it really hard to resist that. Any tips or advice?

Replies

• JJHnIOWA
    Options
    Save a few calories from the day before and sneak a small sweet treat into your day.

Peanut butter is a calorie killer tho, so be careful.
  • AngeliaDR
    Options
    I saw in your profile that you're looking to build muscle so I'm assuming you strength train. I know a lot of guys who lift that swear by having a protein shake before bed as that's supposed to be a long time without protein for your muscles when you do a lot of strength training. Just passing on third party opinion. You can research it and if you like the idea that may be a satisfying hit of sweet at night.
  • jseward20
    jseward20 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same problem for the past month. I do strength training 4x time a week and cardio 3-4x aswell. I usually eat a good sized supper around 630-7 after I've been to the gym. I then wake up @ 3-3:30 (4 if I'm lucky)..and I am extremely hungry. Sometimes I eat my breakfast that early but usually I force myself to wait until 5am. My breakfast is always massive and my biggest meal of the day by far at around 750-800 calories. I heard eating right before bed is not good for you, so I'm not sure what to do about this.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes do it for me, powder, milk, ice, blend. They are really filling and taste like a chocolate milkshake. Less than 300 calories.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I heard eating right before bed is not good for you, so I'm not sure what to do about this.

Nope. Don't worry about that, net calories no matter when they hit your system are what count.
  • scorpiana89
    scorpiana89 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    After a full glass of water you may not want anything else. Maybe try taking a teaspoon to tablespoon of some peanut butter to actually ease your cravings. The taste of what you want plus the fullness...plus knowing you should probably get back to bed!...should do the trick.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Waking up in the middle of th night is a sign you are not eating enough.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Your adrenaline surge is regulated by your internal clock. Every person has a time of day that is his or her physiological low point. In a normal person, this falls between 2-4 am. At this time, adrenaline reaches its peak. It does this (according to Matt Stone) because the metabolism is at its lowest. The metabolic rate is in charge of stimulating cells to generate energy. As it falls and energy becomes scarce, adrenaline surges as a form of backup, secondary energy. In other words, lack of energy is stressful and causes a rise in adrenaline to compensate for this emergency state.

If an improvement in metabolism lowers your adrenergic surges enough, you stop waking up at that time of night.
  • duna_pruna
    duna_pruna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I end up eating a low fat cheese stick and drinking water to go back to sleep. If you can avoid eating as much during the day, I've had success with eating a lot more protein at dinner.
  • juzaam
    juzaam Posts: 17
    Options
    I had the same problem and fixed it with casein powder mixed with 100g of 0,1 Greek yoghurt . 170 calories and around 30g of proteins that will fill your stomach for the night.
  • bradXdale
    Options
    Casein Protein.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/casein-protein-health-benefits.htm

Keeps your tank full over night. Basically without going into too much detail casein protein is a slower digesting protein and will not be absorbed as quick as whey protein. So you can make a protein shake (1 scoop of protein - 8oz of water, milk, almond milk, etc) and it will take a lot longer for your body to use it all up.

or....

Try eating a banana / orange / apple before you go to bed (~30 mins / 1 hour before sleepy time)...if you don't feel like buying the casein protein. The natural sugars are easy your digestive system before sleeping and should keep your tank on F overnight.

How many calories a day are you at right now? You could be eating too few throughout the day and your body just isn't used to the deficit overnight?

Just something to consider!