BMR/MAINTENANCE???

Options
I am kind of confused about something so if anyone could help me out that would be awesome :) I have a BMR of about 1700 calories, but it says in order to "maintain" my current weight I need to eat around 2100 calories. I am very sedentary, so I can't understand how if I were to eat 2100 calories I wouldn't gain weight? since my body is only burning 1700 a day.. If I eat 1500 calories a day would that be a deficit of 200 calories (from 1700) or 700 calories? (from 2100).. SOO confused lol

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,216 Member
    Options
    1700 calories is what your body burns to keep you alive (heart beating, brain functioning, lungs breathing). This does not include ANY activity at all. It is often stated if you were in a coma that would be the number of calories you would burn lying in the bed. Once you move in the morning, you start burning more than 1700 calories. For sedentary people it is about 20% more for the whole day. So 1700x1.2=2040 give or take a bit. If you are doing more than sitting around on a couch all day watching TV, you are likely more active than you think.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    1700 calories is what your body burns to keep you alive (heart beating, brain functioning, lungs breathing). This does not include ANY activity at all. It is often stated if you were in a coma that would be the number of calories you would burn lying in the bed. Once you move in the morning, you start burning more than 1700 calories. For sedentary people it is about 20% more for the whole day. So 1700x1.2=2040 give or take a bit. If you are doing more than sitting around on a couch all day watching TV, you are likely more active than you think.

Great explanation.
    I love my Fitbit, it was great to realise my activity and daily burn.