Let's talk spaghetti squash

Options
2»

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i bake mine for an hour. i love the stuff. eat it almost every night. not, however, as a replacement for pasta. just by itself, with some salt and pepper and maybe a tiny bit of butter. makes a great side to anything im having for the night.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Texture is where I get hung up on squash. If I dont burn it to a crisp it's too....slimy and fibrous? Does that make sense? I was hoping maybe it had a bite to it like pasta.

Oh darn, that sucks! Every time I make SS, it's slightly crunchy-ish!
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Its similar. I tricked my boyfriends 4 year old into thinking it was pasta. I just put some sauce and Parmesan cheese on it, part skim mozz if your are trying to disguise it further for children, some garlic. Delicious!

I've also heard of people baking the squash with salsa inside and pairing it with chicken and some guac.
    None of my kids would ever be fooled into thinking spaghetti squash was spaghetti. Not even the wee ones.
  • ballert1
    ballert1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love it. It's a great alternative. But thats all it is, an alternative. If you are on a boat all day, in the hot son with blue salty water, the best alternative to ice cream(for the melting purposes) would be apple sauce. however, is it just as satisfying? to most, no, to me yes.
    same goes for SS

Perfect perspective. :)

thanks!! glad i could help
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as pasta but have enjoyed it with pesto and roasted tomatoes. And with a spicy Thai peanut sauce.