I need to lose muscle mass

Options
2»

Replies

• Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I was a gymnast for years and as an adult still have muscles like a brick house, now under a layer of fluff.

I did a lot of research, as I want a leaner frame and this is what I found:
    Long bouts of sustained cardio, not intervals, but pick a level you can maintain and do it for a minimum of 45 mins and work up to longer.
    Avoid pumping motion in the area. No biking, or squats, etc. look into long lean movements. Pilates and yoga are strength based and sustained movements, not pumping.

Here is a great article that gives reasons why people choose to do this AND how.
    http://fitnessblackandwhite.com/how-to-lose-muscle/
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I would maybe suggest running this past your doctor as losing muscle mass has health implications

Losing excess muscle mass that is no longer needed to support your level of activity is absolutely not unhealthy. In fact, nearly all of us who are cutting fat are also cutting a percentage of muscle mass, some more than others.

Take a look at the bodies of retired professional athletes and bodybuilders who once needed to maintain a larger than average amount of muscle mass to function in their fields. When they stop supporting that muscle, they lose a great deal of it, and it's completely natural, completely healthy, and does not have "health implications". Losing too much muscle in true starvation (not starvation mode BS), when your body gets to the point of needing to fed on vital muscle tissue, such as in the heart, is what has "health implications".

Lean mass = muscle, bone, sinew, connective tissue, organs.

Not something I would want to lose if I didn't have to.

Still each to their own.????
  • Tito0925
    Options
    I totally understand. I was a gymnast for years and as an adult still have muscles like a brick house, now under a layer of fluff.

I did a lot of research, as I want a leaner frame and this is what I found:
    Long bouts of sustained cardio, not intervals, but pick a level you can maintain and do it for a minimum of 45 mins and work up to longer.
    Avoid pumping motion in the area. No biking, or squats, etc. look into long lean movements. Pilates and yoga are strength based and sustained movements, not pumping.

Here is a great article that gives reasons why people choose to do this AND how.
    http://fitnessblackandwhite.com/how-to-lose-muscle/

That article is full of information I needed. Awesome contribution !!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Personally, unless you are very short, I would just aim to compete in a heavier class. I wouldn't drastically cut calories to lose it either as your stamina training could suffer. If you want to lose, start counting a normal day and reduce slowly.