Challenge: Sleep

Options
My next big challenge is sleeping. I have read a bunch about Leptin and the importance of quality sleep at THE RIGHT TIME to weight-loss and general good health. I think maybe this is why, even with limiting my calories and exercising, my weight isn't going down much at all.

For the past 15 or so years, I'm tired in mid-afternoon (2p-4p) and early evening (7p-9p) then I perk up! I actually do my best writing for grad school between 9p-1a. Then I'm up usually until 2a or 3a just reading, listening to various things online via earbuds, surfing or watching TV, or unfortunately for my husband (who isn't as much a night owl), chatting with him. I do what others do in the evening with their families but I do it long after most people are sound asleep.

Right now, I have the luxury of sleeping until 10a but even when I'm working full time and have to get up at 6am, I still am up until at least 2am every night. It's brutal at times.

This is a family proclivity. My parents and many in my extended family all are very late night owls too. Most of my chats with my mom are after 1am. She calls me at that time like you might get a call from your mom in the afternoon or at 6pm, just to say hi. LOL

So, this is my next challenge. I know sleep is the key. Do any of you have the same problem? What are some of your strategies to go to sleep and keep regular hours? This is where my disciple is almost non-existent. This is my achilles heel.

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    You and my wife have alot in common! While I am no sleep expert, I have found that I do best if I stick to a schedule and not sleep shift to all different times--be more regimented in your sleep routine. I used to fly in the USAF so I was flying across the ocean alot and shifting time zones like crazy. The only way I could survive was to sleep when it was time and ignore the local clock.

My wife tends to be a night owl and ends up taking naps--to me naps are the bane of good sleep. Exercising earlier in the day may help too, I find that late exercise keeps me wound up late (like right now!!).

Melatonin used to be the rage, ever try that? Not sure if it really works, maybe a placebo is all you need.