Any medifasters out there?

Options
Soo I think I'm going to start Medifast in the next few days, the nursing moms program. I worked at a Medifast center before I got pregnant and I don't 100% agree with everything on the program but I know the program inside and out and I know it works. I've had a weight problem in the past and lost the weight through diet and exercise but I'm really struggling with this baby weight.... Soo What I'm getting at is if there are any fellow medifasters out there looking for support/friends feel free to add me:) Hell even if you are not on MF you can add me :D

**I no longer work for this company, I am not a spammer or a TSFL coach trying to sell you anything.

Replies

• haneyteach
    Options
    I'm starting Medifast tomorrow. Support would be great!
  • hollyread2014
    Options
    Tomorrow is day 3 for me!
  • 123Allyxox
    123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My food doesn't come until Tuesday! Poo, darn weather/holiday delaying my diet plans!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    They send you food? really?
  • gresnicke
    Options
    Started Medifast Jan 13. Yes it works . I'm down about 15 pounds. I'm losing slower than many because I have less to lose, 50lbs, so I'm told. MFP has been very instrumental in my process because it helps me to keep track of those things I forget or neglect to write down. Especially those habitual things like chewing gum; something I don't think about, just do it. I'd be happy to have more support!
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I attempted Medifast about a year ago and was very unsuccessful. The food was THE most vile stuff I ever tasted. :noway: If you can gag it down I am assuming it would work. I would much rather eat "normal foods" that I can stay on for life, not this stuff that tastes horrid and that I eventually have to come off of.
    Great luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • cryssteen
    Options
    Agreed. The foods are pretty gross. Some things, like the bars, are ok. The soups are good if you alter them... like add chicken broth instead of water... but truthfully, I was sick of the fake food, fake sugar stuff. I would rather have an apple over a fake sugar brownie topped with fake sugar syrup. Now, it did work for me for a while. I lost about 15lbs in 10 weeks or so. Overall, that's not bad. But I found myself just feeling underwhelmed and grossed out by the food.. For example, the remaining bit of my chocolate protein shake turned grey.. like clay.. when it sat in the sink for an hour or so. I just can't keep putting that in my body. So, today is my first day on the "do it yourself" plan. I get it. Medifast is 800-1000 calories per day, lots of protein, 80-100 carbs. I'll probably eat less carbs and more calories on my own. But the principles are there. Good luck. There are many resources to help you alter the food to your liking. Don't eat the oatmeal in the first week!
  • chirojulie
    chirojulie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Medifast on and off for several years. I have been completely dedicated since Christmas and have lost 20 pounds. I want to get this weight off once and for all!!
    I am a little concerned that I am exercising too much right now though and am toying with going on 4 and 2, instead of 5 and 1. I am walking around 3.2 miles a day. I signed up for a half marathon for September and My thought is to start running in June - once I lose another 50 pounds. Anyways, I would love some support as well... I have tried the Medifast boards, but sometimes people can be mean there (and I have no time for that)!! Please add me as a friend if you want.
  • mrocka
    mrocka Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My mom & I started the shakes on yesterday.
    We probably wont order the food, I was nervous about this shakes actually making me feel full.
    But last night was actually ok, I wasn't hungry at all as I did a shake for dinner.

Please feel free to add me!
  • Amorgan325
    Options
    I just ordered my food and it's supposed to come by Tuesday evening. Guess I'll be starting Wednesday. My sister-in-law recently lost 85 lbs and loves it. I'll be surprised if I can do the 5 and 1 for longer than two or three months, but plan on transitioning over to more "real" food or evening slowly transition to Weight Watchers for the last little but -- rest of my life. :-) I have 55-60 to lose.
  • TSFLBethany
    Options
    I just started on Sunday! Last time I did this, I had to stop after a few weeks because I found out I was pregnant (with twins). They're 2.5 now, so it's way past time to get back on the wagon!

I was expecting to feel pretty icky for 4 days or so, but I'm already (day 3) feeling good this time around.

If you hang in there, it DOES work. It can be hard to put up with the food for too long.
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I did Medifast in the past for quite a long time and, while I didn't really have a problem with the food and taste (loved the oatmeal), all the weight I lost came back afterwards and brought friends along for the ride. I didn't learn anything about portion control or the right nutrition, and ended up back in my old habits. So now I'm trying a different route and the weight is coming off slowly but steadily and I am learning portion control, good eating habits and how to choose healthier foods.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I tried it in the past and did lose some weight with it, however, the low calorie/low carb diet was really hindering my workouts and I was tired of not feeling very well all the time on it. I switched to eating healthier foods and slowly upped my calorie intake to MFP's suggestions and haven't looked back since then. I eat a lot more food now and am still losing weight and the best thing is it doesn't cost a ton of money to do it.

Have you tried following the calorie settings here, first? It may save you money in the long run. The thing I didn't like about that plan is it really does not teach you how to eat right at all. You only have one meal a day that you are prepping yourself and that doesn't show you how to be able to maintain and eat healthy for long term.
  • TSFLBethany
    Options
    I've tried it all! I definitely agree with the philosophy of MFP, and especially weight watchers. But my problem has always been staying motivated! It is so hard to watch the lbs come off so slowly when I have so far to go (180lbs to lose). I can stay more motivated when they're coming off quickly. I think they KEY is working on the mental aspect of it at the same time as losing the weight. The reason I got where I am is because of having an unhealthy relationship with food. I will definitely need the accountability for the rest of my life. My plan for now, is to join weight watchers (for accountability) when I get closer to my goal. The only way to keep it off is to learn to have a healthy relationship with real food, for sure!
  • akpete88
    Options
    Congratulations on chosing a program that actually works! Ive been on medifast for 5 weeks now and lost 24 pounds! It works as long as you stick with it to a T. Get a weigher to weigh your lean and greens. Im also doing 30 minutes of cardio and weight lifting with it, I have a ton of energy throughout the day but when it gets to be night Im dog gone tired. (which is good) Stick with it and you'll do absolutely amazing!
  • akpete88
    Options
    Forgot to mention! The oatmeal, Beef Vegatable soup, brownie soft bakes, Honey mustard pretzels, Hot Chocolate, and pretty much all the crisp bars are excellent!
  • misty1040
    misty1040 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have known many people on Medifast. Most have lost a ton of weight and then gained it all back (and then some). One of my friends is a TSFL health coach. She lost over 50 lbs with Medifast and has kept it off for close to 3 years... it gave me some hope. After doing a ton of research, I decided to give it a shot. I have been on Medifast since January and have had great success. I am on the 5 & 1 plan and so far I'm down 26 lbs and only have 23 to go. The food isn't bad. I DO have a health coach that checks in with me on a weekly basis and is there ANY time I need her. Having a health coach is HUGE to me, especially for when I start transitioning to regular eating. She has been where I am now and can easily guide me in the right direction for what I want and need.
    I am an EXTREMELY active person. One of the hardest things is cutting back on my workouts (walking/running 3 days a week, swimming 3 days a week and bootcamp 3 days a week). I still work out, but just at 50% of what I used to. Since it IS a high protein diet, I am maintaining most of my muscle. Of course some of it is going away because I don't have the high intensity workouts, but I'll get back to my routine once I'm out of the weight loss phase.
  • Alchemagician
    Alchemagician Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of success with Medifast. About 2 years ago, I went on it for 7 months and dropped over 50 lbs. Went off it due to moving back east and being back around friends and family (Hooray for mom's cooking, decent pizza and diners!) and gained about half of it back.

Went back on it 9/1/14 and since that time I am down 51 lbs and have gone from a 40 waist jeans to 34. So yes, it works. You just can't go crazy eating all the kinds of junk I did when I went off it, LOL. I should have known better, truly.

Some of their food is vile, yes. I tend to mostly eat the bars. The new chewy ones (esp the peanut butter chewy bar) are great, and if you like Girl Scout thin mints, chances are you'll love the chocolate mint crunch bar. Of the shakes, I only found the strawberry one to be decent. The banana one is a bit chemical-y and the chocolate and vanilla are chalky. The cereals aren't too bad, and the parmesan cheese puffs are decent. Unless you really love paprika, stay away from the sloppy joes- they taste like paprika and tabasco with water. Not my thing.

Good luck!
  • Droppinelbees
    Droppinelbees Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that info... I've tried it while I was in the Marine Corps a few years back because I started gaining but with the workouts I was doing, I felt horrible and I know they recommend you don't workout so I stopped the program. LOL, my wife wound up eating the rest of the food only not to waste it and was pissed so you can imagine how she felt when I said a few years later (Feb 28th, 2014) that I'm going to start it and stick to it. Not crazy about the taste but that's the least of my concerns. I'm more concerned with having a heart attack before 50 and trying to get my blood pressure down without meds.
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I started on February 18th. So I'm about 2 1/2 weeks into the program. I've lost 9 pounds so far, which I'm happy about. Most of the food is not great, but it's not terrible either. There are a couple of items that I absolutely hated (mac & cheese, pancakes, the strawberry shake). I think it's personal preference though when it comes to which items you'll hate/love.

For the people saying that they gained all their weight back and that this program doesn't teach you portion control, I say this:
    They have a transition plan for you once you get out of weight loss mode. The transition plan moves you into maintenance mode. Maybe you never made it that far. I'm hoping I will.

I like having a health coach call me every week as well. It's exactly the opposite from what I expected or experienced in the past from other weight loss programs. The amount of materials that they provide for you to read and activities to complete are impressive. These are the items that will teach you how to have a better relationship with food. At least that's what I'm learning. I think that this program is very positive overall.

In regards to the amount of money you spend.... well I guess it depends on your personal situation. For me, it's easy. Single, not married, no kids. I went from eating out every day, every meal... spending $20-$30 a day on food to spending about $15 a day now.

For me, I need structure. I tried doing weight watchers at one point and the scale never budged. I tried using MFP eating my own food choices, the scale never budged. So now I'm trying Medifast. Their meals are supposed to be 100% balanced with all the nutrients you need for the day, plus your lean & green. Plus, I have a crazy long commute. I am on the road about 4 hours a day. So if you have more time to prepare all your meals, that's great. But I don't have that kind of time, so this plan is very convenient for me.

The fact that it's convenient and costing me less money is enough incentive for me to try it for at least a month to see if it really works. If it does, then I'll go another month. I want to believe in the program, but like others who are new to it, I am skeptical. I really do hope it works long term. We'll see, only time will tell :)