Gotta say, MFP is disappointing more each day

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    1200 is the floor for calorie allowance it will give you.

To lose 2lbs a week, you need a deficit of 1000 cals a day.

Hey presto, if you maintain on less than 2201, you'll get 1200 when you ask for 2lbs a week.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    //////op deactivated///////
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So you basically signed up to use a tool without even understanding or learning how the tool works or why you would be entering the information that you would enter and now you're just pissy about not knowing what the hell you are doing...

sounds-legit.gif

You do realize that there are stickies and whatnot that you're supposed to read when you sign up...also, right next the the one Lb per week goal it says....wait for it...."recommended". You do still have to provide some brains...the calculator is just a calculator...it isn't magic...it isn't going to do the work for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    To be fair to OP, I think MFP could do with a sentence when you set your goals that says what sort of goal you should be aiming for. When I started out I didn't know anything about how many calories I should be eating, so I set it to 2lbs a week, because why wouldn't you? Luckily I had enough weight to lose that that goal was ok, but I think MFP could help guide people a bit more.

THIS.

MFP is way too vague. It doesn't tell you what the recommended weight loss rate is for your weight (it says 'lose 1 lb a week' is recommended though). Neither does it doesn't explain having to log exercise calories and eat them back. There's a lot of room for improvement overall.

Obviously it works well when used properly but when you read the forums you'll see that users who use it properly are few and far between.

actually, most of that is explained in the stickies that MFP recommends you read when signing up...problem is people don't read them...that's not MFP's fault...that's people being lazy.
  • fortally
    Options
    I don't feel I can trust this program to give me the guidance I thought it would, so to continue using it would be pretty stupid.

Based on that statement, I almost have to agree with you OP, but ONLY because you are looking for guidance. I really do understand the misconceptions that you had about MFP going in - after all, most diet programs market themselves as programs because if you could do it yourself you wouldn't need guidance, right?

To use a home improvement analogy - I'm in the middle of renovating my kitchen. I basically had two choices: hire a contractor or do it myself. I'm a DIY kind of person, so that's the route I went. But I still had to do my research, watch a lot of You Tube videos, and buy the tools & materials from the hardware store. Just because I bought the new sink doesn't mean it's going to install itself. MFP is a DIY approach to losing weight, getting fit, and improving health. It's just a tool. You have to figure out how to use it.

But if you don't know that going in and you assume it's another program like all the rest, I can completely understand why you're frustrated and getting upsetting results. If the DIY approach isn't for you (and it sounds like it isn't), it's good you realize it now and can find a guided program that will work better for you.

(And - to the forum - I waited too long to tack on a note to my last post, so I'll add it here. I really didn't mean any insult to the forum. I've dished up my own snark, gotten offended a couple of times, and rubbed a few people the wrong way myself - in addition to trying to share positive experiences. It's a learning experience and I'm guilty of plenty of mistakes myself. But I've learned a lot, laughed a lot, and meant no disrespect to the forum community. :flowerforyou:)
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    This probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but the problem isn't the tool it's the user.

You told this website that you wanted to lose TWO lbs per WEEK. That's a 7000 calorie deficit per week, or 1000 calorie deficit per day. Is it really a surprise that it gave you an absurdly low calorie target?

The reason you kept seeing 1200 calories a day recommended is because MFP will never recommend lower than that. That's the absolute minimum it will possibly recommend to anyone for any reason.

Set your weight loss to a more reasonable 0.5 lbs/week and you only need a 250 calorie deficit per day.

The danger wasn't putting your health in the hands of a free website, the danger was not knowing how the tool worked and using it anyways.

SOLID first post.

I agree with this.
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    Why are you calling it a program again? Its a calculator. It tracks how much you eat, how much you exercise, and tells you a goal calorie count all based on what YOU put it. I get you didn't realize that 2 lbs wasn't realistic and you adjusted it, but how can not using something to count calories be stupid? Whether you use MFP or a food journal it's basically the same thing. MFP is a TOOL, a RESOURCE, not a "program". I think you had the wrong idea of what MFP is.

This is definitely a good point. There are paleos, vegans, carnivores, and people who eat fast food every day on MFP. The app/site is merely a way of keeping track of what you've eaten. You can manually adjust your calorie requirements, you can keep track of what nutrients and vitamins you're getting... honestly, the fact that MFP is free is kind of mindblowing to me, just because of its sheer usefulness and good intentions.

I think we've all gotten the "1200 calories a day" recommendation from MFP, because who DOESN'T want to lose two pounds a week? But it's not dangerous to eat that little-- unless you're just eating a cinnabon and calling it a day. It's pretty easy to make 1200 cals go a long way, especially if you don't mind eating some salad or raw vegetables.

I honestly can't understand how one could not understand "eating back your exercise calories". It's kinda in the name :tongue:

I haven't ever gotten the 1200 calorie a day goal, just sayin'. I have however eaten just 1000-1200 calories more often than I have met my full calorie goal.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Yeah, OP deactivated. Big shock.

Not speaking about her specifically, but after being on this site for a year and a half, it amazes me how little common sense some people have about their health. I can understand the 15 yr olds that think living on tic tacs and lettuce for a month might be a good idea, but surely by the time someone is in their 30s and 40s, they have educated themselves at least a little bit about nutrition?

Just because you are given an arbitrary number for losing weight, doesn't mean that it will automatically work for you. You have to know your body and see how it responds to calorie numbers and certain types of foods. I mean, come on, just use a few brain cells to learn about your body.

Perhaps I give the general population a bit too much credit?
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    So you basically signed up to use a tool without even understanding or learning how the tool works or why you would be entering the information that you would enter and now you're just pissy about not knowing what the hell you are doing...

sounds-legit.gif

You do realize that there are stickies and whatnot that you're supposed to read when you sign up...also, right next the the one Lb per week goal it says....wait for it...."recommended". You do still have to provide some brains...the calculator is just a calculator...it isn't magic...it isn't going to do the work for you.

Also this.

I'm willing to bet that the people in the success stories forums didn't hit a road block, blame it on the computer program they track on, then post a rant on said program's message board about how it's not their fault they've hit a road block, it must be the computer's.

90 pounds lost? All me. Can't lose weight anymore? I don't know what's wrong but it can't be me, it must be something else.
  • auntscrewy
    auntscrewy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the absolute minimum that a woman should ever eat.

You should also try very hard not to exceed a 1000 calorie deficit, especially for long periods of time.

And, like others have said, the skinnier you are, the smaller the deficit you should try to hit.

Myfitnesspal does NOT track calories burned and when it set a goal for you of 1200 calories, it presumes without exercise.

I personally use a Bodybugg (I think it has significant advantages over the Fitbit, but I digress), to tell me how many calories I am burning each day. It interfaces with myfitnesspal so that when I do any activity, it automatically adjusts how many calories I am allowed to have and still meet my goal.

Myfitnesspal is only half of the equation
  • lwestmill
    lwestmill Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    All I can say is WOW! I have been using the website since November. Information given must be easier for some people to understand than others. I understood after reading a few posts, what the "eat your exercise calories meant". In defense of the 40 year old mom, maybe there needs to be a "definition board to newbies." But all of your posts have been right on point and honest. However, some people need to hear in different ways information because all people learn different.

I'm glad for all that folks share, harsh or not, because when I need to ask a question in the future and need some solid answers, I want you all to be honest with me. With all that I have been reading on MFP, there have been extremely sharp people on this site to explain every detail to people that need assistance. They have given up their time for others as well as their pictures, diet and exercises. Its been amazing!!!!!!!! I love MFP and friends! :smile:
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    OP - I am not sure if you will see this, but I also want to recommend not counting/restricting calories when you are very sick. You have probably realized this in your recent unfortunate experience, but when you are sick your body needs fuel (food) to heal. You should probably eat close to your maintenance level (MFP does tell you what it is when you are setting up goals). You could probably even forego logging calories since it is unlikely you will want to overeat while sick.
  • tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    tic tacs and lettuce. hahaha!

Crap! I've been doing this all wrong. Probably need to add in a few Mountain Dews and some NoDoz.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Wow. That was a long post. I almost read a third of it and then gave up.
  • nikkileesinclair
    Options
    I think one thing people need to keep in mind is that A) this site is a TOOL, not a Dr of a registered dietitian. By no means is inputting your weight and goals a consultation. MFP is a food and exercise tracking toold. If you do not know what you should be tracking or how much you should be working out etc, you need to consult a professional.

B) This **** is free. If you don't like it do not use it. But don't bash it and blame it for what it isn't. I am sure if people were paying for it it may do a bit more than what it does but this is the best free website/app I have ever seen before.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Um - do you know what Norwalk virus is? It's basically throwing up. Over and over. It's a struggle just to stay hydrated.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    OP - I am not sure if you will see this, but I also want to recommend not counting/restricting calories when you are very sick. You have probably realized this in your recent unfortunate experience, but when you are sick your body needs fuel (food) to heal. You should probably eat close to your maintenance level (MFP does tell you what it is when you are setting up goals). You could probably even forego logging calories since it is unlikely you will want to overeat while sick.

sorry - meant to quote this...
  • Hi
    I just started and it too calculated my daily calorie total at 1200 and I had put that I would like to lose 3 stone. I was very surprised at this low figure too as it is not really enough calories for an adult to get through the day.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Um - do you know what Norwalk virus is? It's basically throwing up. Over and over. It's a struggle just to stay hydrated.

Yeah, that's why you don't need to count calories when sick. It is a struggle to get enough calories when nothing stays down and you have no appetite. The OP made it sound like she was still trying to diet through her illness and that is what caused her to pass out.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I just started and it too calculated my daily calorie total at 1200 and I had put that I would like to lose 3 stone. I was very surprised at this low figure too as it is not really enough calories for an adult to get through the day.
    Then you need to have a more realistic time frame of how long you want to take to lose weight. What are you expecting it to do? Fudge the numbers?