Biggest looser and other shows calorie goal

NikkiDerrig386
NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I posted this today:

http://www.bravotv.com/thintervention-with-jackie-warner/season-1/videos/experience-thintervention-pt2

If you havent seen her show you should! Its kinda of like biggest looser w a mix of your are what you eat, This link is just a part of it that has to do with sugar and what you should be eating. Check it out!!

New Topic:
Now I was watching this new show and she gave everyone a 1500 calorie limit, She gave them intense workouts that burnd at least 400-700 or more calories each workout. Now in the biggest looser I seen the trainers give these people 900 calorie goals. These people in these shows loose greater amount of wright than I do. Is it because I am adding the 700 calories to my exercise log? It makes you wonder about how many calories you really should be eating when trying to loose the lbs.................

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Keep in mind, its a TV show, not everything is as it seems, I have heard reports even that the "week" between weigh ins is actually longer than 7 days (on biggest loser), its great motivation but not realistic for someone at home to try to duplicate this.
  • The calorie limit is interesting to me. On this website, and many other places - 1200 seems to be the accepted minimum daily intake. Any lower than that, then people start to say you're starving yourself. I've noticed for myself personally though, since I've bumped up to 1200 from 900 after joining this site, I haven't really lost anything. I think my metabolism is just so freakin slow, I have to eat much less to lose anything. It sucks! I don't want to be "unhealthy" or "starving"... but I think for some people, maybe eating a super low cal diet might be necessary to actually lose weight?
  • i agree with u i have a cousin that had the bypass surgery 4 weight lose and her dr tells her 2 eat 1800 cals daily and is not restricting her from anything wants her to eat good lean meats fish ck turkey vegs and friuts i am tryin to do this and i have lost 11 lbs in 6 wks but i have lost one clothes size also she loses 2 lbs a wk and she works out 20 min a day so try 2 follow that
  • I should mention I was referring to daily net calories (consumed - exercise)...
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    New Topic:
    Now I was watching this new show and she gave everyone a 1500 calorie limit, She gave them intense workouts that burnd at least 400-700 or more calories each workout. Now in the biggest looser I seen the trainers give these people 900 calorie goals. These people in these shows loose greater amount of wright than I do. Is it because I am adding the 700 calories to my exercise log? It makes you wonder about how many calories you really should be eating when trying to loose the lbs.................

Interesting...considering both Jillian and Bob are VERY adamant on their websites and in their material that you should not go below 1200 calories if you're female and 1500 if you're male. I don't know that I've ever seen any episode where they tell the people to go below 1200 calories, but I guess I could have missed one.
  • I'm a huge fan of the show and have been very curious about the calorie intake as well. During last season, Koli mentioned in one of the episodes that his intake was around 1,500 calories on the ranch so I'm guessing its 1,500 for everyone (at least the men).
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Keep in mind that these shows have a Doctor on site. The first hint the participants have a problem they are checked. Also who really knows what goes on when the cameras are off.... or for that matter what exactly they are eatting and what has been added to it.
  • navy4you2
    navy4you2 Posts: 31 Member
    I am watching the one with Roulon Gardner because he is from my home state. I saw the sheet that had the "unknown" eating and it said it was only 1097 calories. how is everything they do healthy????
This discussion has been closed.