Not a diet!

Options
Day 1 on MFP. I hope this site will keep me better informed of what I'm eating and that making healthier choices will come naturally. I refuse to call this a diet... making good food choices (which include allowing for a snack, meal out or a glass of wine now and then) are a part of life and life should not be one long (or many short) diet. Oh so easy to say... hopefully this site will make it less hard to DO!

Replies

• hsklenicka
    hsklenicka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So far this site has helped me do just that. I found that within a couple of days I was asking if I really wanted to eat something, or was I just bored. Usually it was bored. If I really want to eat something then I eat it, but I have to write it down. Some days I go way over my calories, but most days I can hit the mark. I don't want to lose a lot of weight, just be conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth. Hope it works for you.
  • Hi! Im Lisa. Its a good idea to not call it a diet because this is how you really want to eat for the rest of your life and who wants to be on a "diet" that long? So far everything I have learned to do and eat on here has been something I could follow for the rest of my days. I can eat anything I want and just know I should do a little more exercise or just not do it everyday. Every so often EVERYONE needs a sundae, banana split, cake, cookies, chips ect..ect.. ect.. As long as you know it isnt something you should do everyday it is a good thing. Because lets face it who never wants to be able to eat a cheeseburger ever again? Definately not me! I love food. ALOT. But when you start on here and you watch your calories, carbs and fat you start to make different choices. And you actually start to like it. I still binge on and off. Just not so often. And that migt be a day I dont record BUT when I do record it I make sure that tomorrow I dont eat the same whay. And you actually start to find that you only do it a little which is healthy for you. Makes you a happier camper! So I say YEAH to you for not calling this a diet because it really isnt!

Lisa :)
    PS....WELCOME!!!
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle change if you want it to be long term. And it's probably good to have times where you do allow yourself whatever it is you really want. So, I agree with that sentiment. However, I was able to change the way I thought about food so that now certain items I'd never even consider. And it won't bother me a bit. Some of them are trigger foods or drinks. So, I avoid them completely. But basically I just started eating in a more healthy manner and watching the calories and exercising. I log all meals so it's easy to see when I hit my limit for the day. And I've learned from experience some things can be deceiving.

Not a diet is correct. Personally, I don't miss fast food or sodas one little bit and I never cared for cake, candy, etc. I skip ice cream completely now. But that's not to say I would never have it again. I just choose not to. It goes against all my goals logic-wise. I don't want to take any longer to lose weight and keep it off than is naturally required. I'm eating plenty per day and so while it's a reduction from what it would take to maintain my current weight, eventually I'll go up a bit to maintain my goal weight.

Funny story: My Wii Fit Plus wants me to have a BMI of 22. That would put my ideal weight around 148 lbs.
  • Want2bHealthE
    Want2bHealthE Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ... "However, I was able to change the way I thought about food so that now certain items I'd never even consider. And it won't bother me a bit. Some of them are trigger foods or drinks. So, I avoid them completely"

Thanks for your post. I hope this is the point that I will get to, sdaubel. Ice cream is my trigger food, but I can't imagine that I'll ever get to a point where I won't even consider it. How long did it take you before you stopped even considering un-healthy choices?
  • fattyellis
    Options
    Good luck on your weight loss journey!

Did you live in Egypt by any chance?
  • hopfroggyfrog
    Options
    I just had this same realization over the weekend. It's not a diet. I was thinking that I don't want to have to limit myself forever, but actually knowing what I was eating and then exchanging the most fattening things for healthier choices has helped so much. I really like being more aware just in general how many calories are in something. This site has helped so much, I can't even begin to explain.
    Today I finally started working out again. I've been doing a little here and there, but my work has it's own private gym. I've worked there over two years and today was the first time I went in and gave it a try. It felt so good to get sweating again.
    A combination of staying motivated to hit the gym, and being aware of what I'm eating that is healthy and not so healthy is so amazing. I've barely done anything and lost 13 pounds in just over a month. You'll do great if you keep a happy mind set :)
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    ... "However, I was able to change the way I thought about food so that now certain items I'd never even consider. And it won't bother me a bit. Some of them are trigger foods or drinks. So, I avoid them completely"

Thanks for your post. I hope this is the point that I will get to, sdaubel. Ice cream is my trigger food, but I can't imagine that I'll ever get to a point where I won't even consider it. How long did it take you before you stopped even considering un-healthy choices?

I'm telling you Skinny Cow Ice Cream saves my life!
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This site has been an amazing tool for me! I know it will be for you too, you certainly have the right attitude. I'm not on a diet either, diets end and I need to make a change that's will last the rest of my life. Good luck to you.
  • ktbug1186
    Options
    amcmillan730 I soooo agree with you!! Skinny cow is AWESOME!! The cookies and cream ice cream sandwiches tastes soo good! :)
  • Want2bHealthE
    Want2bHealthE Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts and tips... will be picking up some Skinny Cow products this evening :)

@ fattyellis - we were living in Israel and traveled by bus to Egypt and Jordan.
  • ohiogirl30
    ohiogirl30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! If you need anything... let me know (especially motivation)
  • fattyellis
    Options
    Thanks for the posts and tips... will be picking up some Skinny Cow products this evening :)

@ fattyellis - we were living in Israel and traveled by bus to Egypt and Jordan.

Skinny cow saved me from going over my daily calorie goal on MANY occasions!

I lived in Egypt for 6 years..thought we might of been 'neighbours'
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

I'm telling you Skinny Cow Ice Cream saves my life!

Agreed!