Excellent thick cream alternative

Options
richars65
richars65 Posts: 26 Member
Hi everyone,

I have been experimenting with fat-free cream alternatives. I have found that while fat-free sour cream and cottage cheese can do the job in a pinch, they just leave a little something to be desired when I need a good thick creamy dip or sauce. Greek yogurt is an excellent go-to, but it's so expensive (particularly the fat-free variety) that I can't justify spending that money all the time. Here's a great little trick I found.

To prepare, place a coffee filter in a sieve, colander, or wire mesh strainer of your choice. Place the sieve w/coffee filter over a large bowl so that there's a few inches underneath the bottom of the strainer. Take approximately 2 cups of plain, fat-free yogurt (any brand will do) and place it into the coffee filter, being careful NOT to overflow the coffee filter. Place the whole apparatus in the fridge for 6hrs - overnight. When you return, the whey (liquid) will have drained largely off, leaving you with thick, luxurious plain Greek-style yogurt that you are free to flavor with whatever you'd like (I have been going for diced shallot, dill, and garlic). It works great for sandwich spreads, veggie dips, or other creamy applications.

Enjoy! :smile:

Replies