Don't call it a cheat day

Don't call it a cheat day! To me, the concept of a "cheat day" implies a dieting mentality and we are not on diets right? This is a long term lifestyle change right? We want to get smart about the way we eat, think about and look at our food choices and portion size right? :smile:

I prefer to call it a "Treat day".

Just sayin... :happy:

Replies

• littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Agreed...
    For me, "cheating" is sometimes logging any extra snacks into the next day so I stay within my calorie goal. I just hate the red numbers. :tongue:
    (Though on special days like today I let it go...)
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    I have to agree with this.
    I shouldn't have to feel guilty for living a little and enjoying some foods.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,142 Member
    Don't call it a cheat day! To me, the concept of a "cheat day" implies a dieting mentality and we are not on diets right? This is a long term lifestyle change right? We want to get smart about the way we eat, think about and look at our food choices and portion size right? :smile:

I prefer to call it a "Treat day".

Just sayin... :happy:
    Call it what you want, it doesn't matter. That still doesn't take away the fact that you certainly are on a very low calorie diet.
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    treat days are fine, as long as not everyday is a treat day... it´s always about measuring...
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Agreed. I'm gonna go have a treat right now!
  • i want to loss 8kg in three months any good suggestion
  • tigersgrowl1093
    tigersgrowl1093 Posts: 45 Member
    Technically, a diet is the kind of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats. I am on a 1,490 calorie diet, others are on a 1,800 cal diet, a 1,300 cal diet, etc. Some are on an eat-whatever-the-hell-I-want diet.

I never understood the cheat day concept, though. The deficit for the week is what is important. So people who still want to reach their weekly deficit and have a "cheat" day will need to make up for it by eating less on another day. Unless they don't mind a smaller weekly deficit than planned.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    My diary is a contract with myself. If I go over, I cheat... period. I don't care how you call it, stop judging the way *I* call it.

If I didn't feel that eating 1000 calories over my TDEE was cheating, I don't think I'd ever be able to stick to this lifestyle long term. Believe it or not, it does help to see overeating as a negative thing.

Also, technically... what we eat is our diet. Whether it's low calories or not.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    I never understood the cheat day concept, though. The deficit for the week is what is important. So people who still want to reach their weekly deficit and have a "cheat" day will need to make up for it by eating less on another day. Unless they don't mind a smaller weekly deficit than planned.

Just speaking from my own experience (which is different than many since I started so big and need to sustain a very long term deficit) I don't focus on a daily or even weekly deficit. It is all about the long term for me.

A "cheat day" (and if you hate the term fine, I don't like it either cuz it is inherently negative) allows me to take a mental break from a caloric deficit. I am not even going to touch on the physiological aspect because I don't understand it fully yet - but psychologically it is 100% useful for me.

In another thread someone challenged me that cheat days are a hindrance no matter how I use them (just by their calorie dense nature). For me - who has tried this many times - having a night every two months or so where I can get my rockstar on, don't log **** and don't let it bother me has been key to me being able to sustain this long term.

At the end of the day I do what works for me to sustain a long term deficit. Days, weeks...even months aren't that important in the long run...at least in my particular situation.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Yes... thank you for the reminder and for the record, yes, I know I am on too few calories. I am in the process of changing this now but... baby steps ok? :smile:
  • tigersgrowl1093
    tigersgrowl1093 Posts: 45 Member

Just speaking from my own experience (which is different than many since I started so big and need to sustain a very long term deficit) I don't focus on a daily or even weekly deficit. It is all about the long term for me.

A "cheat day" (and if you hate the term fine, I don't like it either cuz it is inherently negative) allows me to take a mental break from a caloric deficit. I am not even going to touch on the physiological aspect because I don't understand it fully yet - but psychologically it is 100% useful for me.

In another thread someone challenged me that cheat days are a hindrance no matter how I use them (just by their calorie dense nature). For me - who has tried this many times - having a night every two months or so where I can get my rockstar on, don't log **** and don't let it bother me has been key to me being able to sustain this long term.

At the end of the day I do what works for me to sustain a long term deficit. Days, weeks...even months aren't that important in the long run...at least in my particular situation.

And I completely agree that not counting on occasion can be the only thing that keeps one on target in the long run.

I guess my issue is some people consider a cheat day necessary and beneficial for everyone. If someone has bingeing tendencies as I do, a cheat day can be detrimental in the long run.

It is also funny to me when someone has a cheat day, because it is what you are "supposed" to do to stay on track, but are then upset when they didn't lose what they thought they should that week. You may not count the calories you consume on that day, but your body certainly does.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I agree treats are better than cheats.

Because you can have treats without going over TDEE...by even a little.

I did last night...chocolate bar, chocolate covered almonds and McDonalds...and hit my protien...Yah.

Didn't go over my TDEE...

Eating an over abundance of food for one day or one meal is unhealthy imho...displays a poor relationship with food and indicates this isn't a lifestyle change but rather a "diet" in the negative sense. (unless you are bulking of course which is a totally different scenario)
  • BoxerBrawler
    Okay, okay.... chill... To those who feel like I am being judgemental about what you call it please know that is not my intention. I just made this post to lighten things up and be positive. It's just my own personal feeling on it. It is meant to be lighthearted and fun so please watch those stress levels :smile: We don't need to get into the technical terms and specific discussion about calories in and out do we? jeez... :laugh:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Agree
  • uptightoutasight
    uptightoutasight Posts: 69 Member
    I eat clean and a cheat meal just means having something which is not clean like wine. Apart from that I agree with you.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member

And I completely agree that not counting on occasion can be the only thing that keeps one on target in the long run.

I guess my issue is some people consider a cheat day necessary and beneficial for everyone. If someone has bingeing tendencies as I do, a cheat day can be detrimental in the long run.

It is also funny to me when someone has a cheat day, because it is what you are "supposed" to do to stay on track, but are then upset when they didn't lose what they thought they should that week. You may not count the calories you consume on that day, but your body certainly does.

Sorry I should have mentioned that! I agree 100% that for some people cheat meals are the start of a slippery slope and can trigger binge eating. This is def an area a person has to make a personal call and be honest on how it effects them :flowerforyou:
    Okay, okay.... chill... To those who feel like I am being judgemental about what you call it please know that is not my intention. I just made this post to lighten things up and be positive. It's just my own personal feeling on it. It is meant to be lighthearted and fun so please watch those stress levels :smile: We don't need to get into the technical terms and specific discussion about calories in and out do we? jeez... :laugh:

I actually agree with you that "cheat day" is a bad term...but at the end of the day it is just a name. I don't like it because it implies something negative, and for some people that can trigger binges because it makes them feel bad about what they are doing.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    My diary is a contract with myself. If I go over, I cheat... period. I don't care how you call it, stop judging the way *I* call it.

If I didn't feel that eating 1000 calories over my TDEE was cheating, I don't think I'd ever be able to stick to this lifestyle long term. Believe it or not, it does help to see overeating as a negative thing.

Also, technically... what we eat is our diet. Whether it's low calories or not.
    Well said.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Yeah that's how I feel too, it just sounds negative and can be a slippery slope. One cheat day can turn into two then three and it's too easy to justify why a person can or should have a cheat. If it's a treat... it just makes it special and more like a once in a while thing :smile:

Again... just my own personal (meant to be whimsical) thoughts on it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Yes but what matters is not how you call it... it's how you deal with it.

Arguing over semantics is pointless (and why am I even posting this LOL).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Meh...semantics. Shrug. :ohwell: