Instant Oatmeal!

Options
Okaay so is instant oatmeal and a banana, orange, or a apple a good healthy breakfast?
I have heard instant oatmeal isnt good for you and people said that Bananas, oranges, and apples are high in sugars and stuff..
But arent they good sugars?
I mean they are fruit so how can they be bad for you?
HELP MEEEE!! Lol

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I eat instant oatmeal. Right now, I'm eating Whole Grain Cranberry instant oatmeal for 120 cals a packet. I used to eat it pretty much every morning for breakfast, usually of the fruit and cream variety. I lost weight eating it and my cholesterol went down.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Sure. But I'd add some protein in there so you feel fuller, longer. I love Quaker quick oats made with 1/2c almond milk, mix in 1TBS peanut butter and half a banana, with a hard boiled egg on the side. Keeps me full until lunch.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The naturally occurring sugar in fruit isn't the same as the refined sugar you get from candy or junk food. As long as you're not diabetic, you don't really have to worry about incorporating fruit into your diet a few times a day.

Instant oatmeal is okay, but making oatmeal from scratch can be a little healthier since you control what goes into it. Rolled oats take two minutes in the microwave, and if you buy them in bulk, you can get them for really cheap. With instant oatmeal, you're paying for the convenience of the little packs.
  • MissKimi_xoxo
    Options
    Okay! Thanks everyone!! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    where's the protein? That is a lot of calories for very little protein, would you still be able to hit an adequate amount of protein if you ate this?

If you still get enough protein (roughly 0.8grams per lb of body weight) and enough fat (0.35 grams per lb of body weight min) then it is a fine breakfast.
  • DeborahBarone2
    Options
    I eat Quaker instant oatmeal weight management with half a cup of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Love it.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You can also find lower sugar varieties of instant oatmeal. That was always my choice.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Okaay so is instant oatmeal and a banana, orange, or a apple a good healthy breakfast?
    I have heard instant oatmeal isnt good for you and people said that Bananas, oranges, and apples are high in sugars and stuff..
    But arent they good sugars?
    I mean they are fruit so how can they be bad for you?
    HELP MEEEE!! Lol

Food nazis will try to tell you about processed sugars, too much sugars, eat raw only....blah, blah, blah.

The issue facing the majority of people is overeating, period. So just watch your calories, TRY to eat a balanced, nutrient rich pallet, and exercise. You will be just fine.

I do instant oatmeal sometimes, but I like steal cut oats much better. I cook those up and add a tablespoon of maple syrup, a sprinkle of brown sugar, and a dab of butter. It is hearty, gives me great energy to start my day, and is around 300 calories for a big ol' bowl.

Enjoy.
  • b2kelly
    Options
    Instant Oatmeal is a great choice. I eat this all the time. Use one pack of the regular sugar free and one pack of the reduced sugar apple cinn and you are good to go.. keeps me full for a long while..
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I eat instant oatmeal quite often. I have been buying OatFit by Better Oats - this kind had lower in sugar and higher fiber than others I tried. They come in 100 calorie packets. Basically, some instant oatmeal is better than others - just take some time and review some labels while at the grocery store.

I also eat a lot of fruit and never once worried about the amount of sugar I get from it. It hasn't hurt my progress at all.
  • MissKimi_xoxo
    Options
    I eat instant oatmeal quite often. I have been buying OatFit by Better Oats - this kind had lower in sugar and higher fiber than others I tried. They come in 100 calorie packets. Basically, some instant oatmeal is better than others - just take some time and review some labels while at the grocery store.

I also eat a lot of fruit and never once worried about the amount of sugar I get from it. It hasn't hurt my progress at all.

Wow you have lost a lot of weight from your progress chart!! Any secrets??
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I often eat instant oatmeal for breakfast, usually with a peice of toast with peanut butter. Keeps me full.
  • tjbron
    tjbron Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    +1 to adding some protein.

Also, making oatmeal from oats isn't really any less convenient or time consuming than the instant kind for me. I also prefer the texture to the instant, and would rather just add some banana than have whatever they put in the instant kind to make it sweet but low cal.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Special K for breakfast but was always super hungry - seriously, the 30g recommended serving size of that stuff is a few little flakes in the bottom of your bowl, and it tastes like cardboard!!

Now I'm a big convert to porridge (or oatmeal as you guys over the pond call it!) for breakfast. I have Scott's Old Fashioned Porage Oats which take 2 1/2 mins in the microwave. I make it with skimmed milk and mix in a small squeeze of honey to sweeten slightly, then top with a dollop of fat-free greek yoghurt and blueberries or raspberries. Sometimes I'll put a scattering of seed mix on top too. Deeeee-lish!! It works out at around 300 cals or less and keeps me full til lunch!
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I mix in vanilla whey. But I use old fashioned oats, better texture. Add fruit, spices, mix, nom.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In for food Nazis....
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    The naturally occurring sugar in fruit isn't the same as the refined sugar you get from candy or junk food.

so sucrose (a fructose/glucose disaccharide) is different in fruit?

Like say a banana...(http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2)

Per 100 grams it has:
    12.2g Total Sugars, 2.4g Sucrose, 5.0g Glucose, 4.8g fructose
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow you have lost a lot of weight from your progress chart!! Any secrets??

There is only one real secret, don't ever give up.

If you follow the plan of counting your calories to assure you don’t over eat, and adding some exercise to your routine to get moving a little more, then you will ultimately get to a healthier weight. If you do that and never, no matter what, give up, then I guarantee it will be worth it.

If you have a bad day, you overeat and decide not to exercise, just forget about it and start fresh the next day. Don't let a bad day turn into a bad week, don't ever give up.

Good luck - you can do it!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    In to hear more about how sugar is the debil
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with oatmeal?

Whats wrong with fruit?

Oatmeal beats processed cereals anyday (I love both)

Fruit beats chocolate any day (I also love both)

: )