Tips For Running After A Break

Options
I stopped running for 6-7 months and before that I used to run three times a week for 30 minutes..

I'd like to add running back into my routine but am not sure how much to do at once. Any tips, ideas?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Start in 1-2x a week and see how you feel. Maybe go at a slower pace. I've been easing back myself after several months off. The weather is keeping me from starting back as much as anything. All I've really noticed is I'm a little slower and slightly achier.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    At the same amount of time or work my way up?
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    At the same amount of time or work my way up?

I would go by how your body feels. If you can do 30 minutes at a slower pace then I would start with that. I took 2 months off and my first run back was a half marathon race. I ran it 25 minutes slower than I normally do but I was fine and completed it. If you can't do 30 minutes after your time off then do some run/walk intervals and work your way up again. Listen to your body though. If you're feeling a lot of discomfort then don't push because you don't want to get injured. Remember to warm up and stretch afterwards as well.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I would ease back in with a few mellow 20mins at an easy pace for the first week.

Based on how that went, slowly build up a base again as the weeks progress...