Yielding the Right of Way at the Gym

Options
Ok. In the modern gym there's a lot of equipment, and it is usually laid out for the facility to accommodate as much equipment as possible with at least just enough room for people to walk thru. And yet, sometimes people don't pay any attention. I'll be half way through a set, and some passerby will shuffle by at about 2 feet/hr, brushing within millimeters of me...and not to mention as I am drawing the weight back...Um, so, what do they expect to happen when I push the weight forward? Do they think I'm going to pause for 18 seconds and wait for them to hobble on by?! Or am I supposed to? It usually seems to result in people not wanting to walk around me "the long way" - a clear, open path that would result in about a 10 second detour for them. I've actually been bumped into by people while pushing weights forward.

Anyway...when I walk by people (because it's the only available path), I either wait until they are done with their set, or else QUICKLY pass by when their weights are retracted. And even if I myself know I've left them enough room, I make some kind of accommodating motion with my body language so that they can rest assured I've left them plenty of room. To me it all just seems like basic logic and courtesy.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Ok. In the modern gym there's a lot of equipment, and it is usually laid out for the facility to accommodate as much equipment as possible with at least just enough room for people to walk thru. And yet, sometimes people don't pay any attention. I'll be half way through a set, and some passerby will shuffle by at about 2 feet/hr, brushing within millimeters of me...and not to mention as I am drawing the weight back...Um, so, what do they expect to happen when I push the weight forward? Do they think I'm going to pause for 18 seconds and wait for them to hobble on by?! Or am I supposed to? It usually seems to result in people not wanting to walk around me "the long way" - a clear, open path that would result in about a 10 second detour for them. I've actually been bumped into by people while pushing weights forward.

Anyway...when I walk by people (because it's the only available path), I either wait until they are done with their set, or else QUICKLY pass by when their weights are retracted. And even if I myself know I've left them enough room, I make some kind of accommodating motion with my body language so that they can rest assured I've left them plenty of room. To me it all just seems like basic logic and courtesy.

I think your biggest complaint is with whoever designed and operates a facility that is laid out so poorly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    people are stupid. it happens.

It happens even more when you work with a BB- you'd be surprised at how dumb people can be.

Clear your space- look grumpy- and don't be afraid to speak up. Claim your space- don't be rude- but don't be a doormat!

I also like to wait to pull a lift until the area is reasonably clear of ramblers. Situational awareness is important.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    people are stupid. it happens.

It happens even more when you work with a BB- you'd be surprised at how dumb people can be.

Clear your space- look grumpy- and don't be afraid to speak up. Claim your space- don't be rude- but don't be a doormat!

I also like to wait to pull a lift until the area is reasonably clear of ramblers. Situational awareness is important.

And it that doesn't work, you may have to make an example out of someone.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I walked into someone at the gym and now I am scared to go back. I'm not very observant and I can't see perfectly.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it happens deal with it..

I was doing DB lat raies one time..and could see this guy walking towards me in the mirror....I was thinking he might want to go around me, he did not, and as I was doing my raise I almost drilled him in the head with a 40# dumbbell...

so just deal with it...sorry that is all I got...
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    almsot watched a regular beat the hell out of some noob for this exact thing. the young kid almsot caused a serious problem by bumping into the old dude's bech lift bar.
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's the nature of the beast unfortunately. I would just keep going. If they're dumb enough to not pay attention to where they are going, then they deserve to get smacked by some weights
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Clearly whoever is using the piece of equipment has right of way! It's obvious that space is taken up to use them, and if somebody walks into your path, that's on them.

Although the other day some woman was doing crunches on the big stretching mat about two feet from the wall, and I reached over to the wall to retrieve a band that was hanging there and she gave me the stink eye! WTF Lady, I was miles from you!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    It's the nature of the beast unfortunately. I would just keep going. If they're dumb enough to not pay attention to where they are going, then they deserve to get smacked by some weights
    Yeah, a few weeks ago I was deadlifting next to the rack that I pulled the bar from because there's no effing room to do them anywhere else and the racks have stupid safety bars built in so you can't lift inside the rack (seriously, WTF?!?!) and two little brodudes came up and started setting up in my rack to bench. I was like, "Hey, how 'bout you give me a hand moving my loaded bar over so you have room to lift in my cage, and let me get my water and chalk?" I don't mind sharing, but it's nice to *ask* first!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this is why I don't do walking lunges with DB's

The bigger the bar the better ;)
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I don't pay attention to those walking past me while I'm on a machine - it's their job to steer clear. I've actually kicked someone on the dockey kick glute machine and I just kept on going. Their fault, not mine.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I was getting ready to do a bench press one time and this guy walked by really close and I almost hit him with the end of the bar as I lifted it up off the rack. But I don't know why he was walking so close, so I didn't really care....
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I give people lifting wide berth. Having been hit in the face with a baseball bat while I was too close as a catcher taught me that.

TL;DR Lifter has right of way.