Does anyone know how to watch TV without eating?

Options
I realize that question sounds ridiculous, but I really do have a problem watching a TV show (or going to a movie) without munching my way through it.

Even worse, unless I'm working, I tend to want to eat whenever I even sit down!

I know I'm not the only one. Have any of you had this problem in the past and found a solution?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    That's easy, don't watch TV, problem solved. Go for a walk, or to the gym, besides, there's not much worth watching on TV anyway, except The Walking Dead.

Rigger
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I normally watch tv when I eat dinner...........Otherwise a lot of my television time comes when I am doing some cardio on a machine. Kind of hard to eat when I'm huffing and puffing.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Eat only at a table to dissociate sitting down and watching TV with eating. If you want a snack, switch off the TV, sit at a table and eat it. That'll soon make it seem like too much trouble!
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Find something else to do with your hands. I started addressing and stuffing some envelopes for my sister's real estate business in my free time, and I found that it drastically decreased my snacking. I would do it while watching tv and the snack food stayed in the box. You could learn to knit or crochet. Or do sudoku. Whatever.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Me!! If I know I'm going to have some time to veg in front of the TV, I leave myself some calories to do so. I enjoy munching while I watch TV, so I make sure I work it into the day. The only show I don't eat while watching is The Biggest Loser. :wink: :wink:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I am a serial TV snacker. But for that reason I only watch maybe 2 hours of TV a day, and one of those I do while on the treadmill. For the other hour I sit down and eat dinner so problem solved. :) If you absolutely must snack, have something light like grapes, carrots with hummus, or no butter popcorn.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Start switching a beverage, no cal, for your nibbles.
  • wandadars
    wandadars Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I only watch tv while I'm on the elliptical at the gym. I watch Netflix on my Kindle.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I realize that question sounds ridiculous, but I really do have a problem watching a TV show (or going to a movie) without munching my way through it.

I know I'm not the only one. Have any of you had this problem in the past and found a solution?

Save some calories for tv time. Find lower calorie snacks to munch on. Air popped pop corn, rice cakes, popchips, raw veggies & hummus, pretzels, fruit, etc.

I personally like to have a nice snack when I sit down to watch tv at night. So, I save 200-300 calories for that each day.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    This is going to be totally mind blowing : )

Don't. Watch. TV.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    You just need to retrain yourself to enjoy it without the food. Like anything new, it will feel odd at first, but then it becomes normal.

I'm a huge movie popcorn girl... Most of the time I just get it an enjoy it, but there are times that I've tried moderation. Totally didn't work for me... I did however find that I can go to the movies and not buy popcorn and I'm fine. I just can't buy it and think I'm not going to pig out...
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Knitting, obvs.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    This is going to be totally mind blowing : )

Don't. Watch. TV.

I don't watch much tv and never eat when I am.

I do allow for popcorn when I go to the movies. I have to have it!
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    What helps me is a mug of tea or a coffee when I see a movie :) Something very low carb that will take a while to finish :)
    Or eat dinner beforehand so you're full.
  • GSXRGIRL61
    GSXRGIRL61 Posts: 6,287 Member
    Options
    Pop a piece of peppermint chewing gum in your mouth before you sit down to watch T.V. and/or brush your teeth. Find something else to keep your hands busy. Eat something healthy and filling before you sit down to watch so that you are full. Put on gloves so that you "can't" eat. Before long, it will become a habit NOT to eat.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    While I don't actually have diagnosed OCD I have a lot of OCD type habits and behaviors and it is kind of icky to me to eat anywhere other than at a table. So this is not an issue for me. Perhaps others could make it a "rule" that they eat only at the table to avoid TV snacking? Then again I don't really watch TV either!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It's a bad habit,

Apparently, it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. So you need to set yourself a 21 day goal (or a 1 month goal, to be sure) to not eat while watching TV or going to the movies or at any other time. Find a way to reward yourself for every day that you comply and have 1 week targets if you like... do whatever it takes to stay on track for 21 days (or 1 month) and by the end of that time, you should have trained yourself in a new habit and it should be easier to stick to after that.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I've heard it helps to find something else to do with your hands, like knitting. If it's really an issue, think of something you can do...might even be taking care of a chore like shinning your shoes, folding laundry...whatever.

Personally, I allow myself a healthy snack and carefully measure out just one serving into a bowl. I usually go for premade light popcorn (skinny pop is my favorite at 155 calories for 4 cups). I eat it one kernel at a time so it takes longer and also take the opportunity to drink lots of water, which helps fill you up plus meet your water quota for the day. String cheese is another good snack for me, again because I can take a long time to eat it.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Have a 24 ounce glass of "PLAIN" water at hand. Every time you think about eating, take a sip of the water. Just lifting the glass of water should burn a few calories.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I recently got an iPad so if I really want to watch something, I watch it on the treadmill on my iPad on Netflix, HBOGo, etc.
    Otherwise, I really stopped watching TV because of it. And started going to bed early.