full fat greek yogurt?

Options
Where the heck can I find full fat greek yogurt? All the stores seem to just have fat free. I like fat! It keeps me full...

Replies

• ginnyntonic
    ginnyntonic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    right? its so ridonk. it would be a perfect thing to get healthy fat and protein in my breakfast =( everyone's obsessed with low fat, its maddening. I'm sorry, I don't want weird fillers. just give me the fat!! im not afraid.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I agree. I found some at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, and occasionally at my regular grocery store. Also, you're more likely to find it in the big tubs as opposed to individual containers. Good luck!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    ive not done it but sitting here thinking...what if you just added nuts to it?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You can get it in England :). Shall I send you some? Lol. My son takes a Yeo Valley full fat Greek yogurt for his lunch at school every day.
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It is very hard. I actually use the Greek Gods Athena Strawberry and Honey flavor. It is more than full fat because it's yogurt made with cream instead of milk, but it's delicious and has more than its share of fat.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greek Gods and Fage both make a full fat greek yogurt that are pretty easy to find at the grocery store these days.
  • nlabrosse86
    Options
    It's in the large containers. Trader Joe's, Safeway, Costco (whichever grocery chain you happen to live by) all carry "traditional" Greek yogurt in large containers, rather than small single serving containers. I like the Greek Gods brand Vanilla Honey the best so far!
  • baggleflap
    baggleflap Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just buy regular yogurt and strain it thru cheese cloth. Voila! Greek yogurt! I actually make my own yogurt in a crock pot. Very easy. Just use whole milk or raw if you can get it. I eat it plain but you can add berries and sweetener if you wish. Google crock pot yogurt.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Supply and demand I guess. More and more people are switching to fat-free everything. My boyfriend prefers the full-fat kind as well. I love the fat free myself.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    There's typically: 0% and 2%.
    I've seen Chobani make some flavors in 1%.
    And I've seen 10% greek yogurt as well.

Chobani and Fage both have 0% and 2%.
    Trader Joes does too.

Stay away from the Dannon, Yoplait, Stoneyfield Oikos, Voskos, etc if you want 2%
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Supply and demand I guess. More and more people are switching to fat-free everything. My boyfriend prefers the full-fat kind as well. I love the fat free myself.

That is due to the continuous brain washing of people thinking they need to keep away from fat. <SMH>

To the OP: As others have said, Trader Joe's Whole Foods, most health food stores, etc carry full fat in the larger tubs.

I love the Trader Joe's cream line, Greek God's plain full fat, Fage full fat and Noosa.

All of these are yummmy
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Superstore used to carry 9% greek yogurt. I haven't seen it lately. I miss it. :( It was President's Choice brand, their in-house brand.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Where the heck can I find full fat greek yogurt? All the stores seem to just have fat free. I like fat! It keeps me full...

Try :noosa" yogurt, really nice and creamery, full fat too.
  • kikiboniki
    Options
    ive not done it but sitting here thinking...what if you just added nuts to it?

not a bad idea =) I'm trying to create the perfect balanced refrigerator oatmeal for my breakfast! so adding nuts could get me the fat I want =)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    That is due to the continuous brain washing of people thinking they need to keep away from fat. <SMH>

To the OP: As others have said, Trader Joe's Whole Foods, most health food stores, etc carry full fat in the larger tubs.

I love the Trader Joe's cream line, Greek God's plain full fat, Fage full fat and Noosa.

All of these are yummmy

I'm sure you are right, but I personally end up usually getting nonfat Greek Yogurt, also, because I generally like to keep most of the foods in my kitchen as significant sources of only 2 macros. It just makes it easier for me to make my macro goals without really tedious balancing of my intake.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem, I'm not a fan f low fat yogurts in general. I just started buying big containers of regular full fat yogurt and draining the whey out. It can be a bit of a pain but it's also cheaper than buying greek yogurt and I'm cheap.
  • kikiboniki
    Options

I know. its sad =( I am trying to get more fat in my diet. Yesterday I hit my macro's perfectly and it made my body feel so much better.. less cravings when I had more healthy fats. go figure.
  • cherylbileau
    cherylbileau Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am on a high fat low carb diet so I hear what you are saying. Look for Cabot Farms Full Fat Plain Greek Yogurt in the large container. I can get it where I live and I live in the rural back woods, middle of nowhere in Maine where I have trouble getting a lot of things. So if I can get it, you should be able to. Also, if your market does not carry it you can talk to them and ask them to get it. Often times they will.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That is odd. I have not had trouble finding whole fat, low fat or fat free at any of groceries around here. Could this just be a regional thing?

I just switched myself back to full fat after reading a number of new studies showing you get more health benefits from full fat dairy than from non-fat. Yeah for me because full fat is a lot tastier as well.

I even heard a recent study on NPR indicating an association that folks eating full fat dairy stay thinner than those who eat fat free dairy. And for those skeptics -- it is just a statistical study,and they state more research is needed. But it is great that research is now being done instead of just theorizing low fat will cause you to lose fat.

the link to the NPR story...
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/02/12/275376259/the-full-fat-paradox-whole-milk-may-keep-us-lean

and...sorry... i lost all my links to the studies indicating health benefits of full fat dairy. But it is easy to google.