Can someone review my diet plan for me?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    You are missing protein for breakfast and lunch! Protein helps increase your metabolism, if you wait until dinner to eat it you are missing out on prime time for your body to boost metabolism! You might be craving food all day because of the artificial sweetners. I used to drink 6-8 Diet Dr Peppers aday, I replaced it with Advocare Spark and I don't crave sweets anymore. I still eat them occasionally, but I don't crave them!

Nice Advocare plug. <Eye roll.>

I'm pretty sure protein doesn't increase metabolism, and it definitely doesn't need to be eaten at every meal. Just make sure eat enough per day.

Incorrect: (Article from BodyBuilding.com) http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-what-is-thermic-effect.html

The thermic effect of food is the caloric cost of digesting and processing different macronutrients in your diet. There is evidence that scientists have known about this phenomenon since the early 1900s. Amazingly, despite what we could consider greatly antiquated methods, researchers over 75 years ago were able to accurately determine the different thermic effects of each of the different macronutrients.

"IF you eat 200 calories worth of protein, your body will use between 40 and 70 of them in digestion."Understand that there are no hard-and-fast values for the thermic effect of the different macronutrients, because research shows slightly different results from study to study. Granted that, here are some generally accepted parameters:

■Protein: 20-35% of calories burned through processing
    ■Carbohydrates: 5-15% of calories burned through processing
    ■Fats: 0-5% of calories burned through processing
    To put this in tangible terms, if you eat 200 calories worth of protein, your body will use between 40 and 70 of them in digestion. The most common estimate for the total thermic effect of food is around 10 percent of your total caloric intake, but as your protein intake increases so does this number.

In the context of a diet, TEF is completely negligible.
  • c26-B000QSNYGI-1-s.jpg

100444973_2c5611_4930c3bb557ef9dd6ecbf827e805a701.jpg

bacon.jpg

Sums it up!

^^^This!
  • staystrong_314159
    staystrong_314159 Posts: 43 Member
    I think you have your proteins/carbs sorted out, but I don't see a lot of fruits and veggies.
  • A couple of suggestions from someone who used to have some serious stomach problems:

Quit the gum. I totally understand that it's hard (I used to go through a pack a day), but the artificial sweeteners in that can actually really mess up your digestive system (there are warnings on a lot of gums and throat drops in Europe for this reason).

It's likely that if you cut back on sweeteners slowly, you'll actually crave them less. American processed foods teach us really messed up proportions of fat/sugar/salt and natural foods can't compete with that...but they sure make you feel better!

Also, you don't have a ton of veggies in your diet, which likely leads to a loss of fiber. I would suggest adding woody green vegetables to your menus. But while you're figuring out how to do that in a way you like, start taking a fiber supplement (I love psyllium husk, but I'm not sure if it would work for you). Fiber works out the muscles of the digestive track, which makes them stronger and more effective over time.

Best of luck!
  • jonnythan
    A couple of suggestions from someone who used to have some serious stomach problems:

Quit the gum. I totally understand that it's hard (I used to go through a pack a day), but the artificial sweeteners in that can actually really mess up your digestive system (there are warnings on a lot of gums and throat drops in Europe for this reason).

This is very true. Many low/no calorie sweeteners act as laxatives. Indigestible sugars and sugar alcohols like lactulose and xylitol have laxative effects.
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    You are missing protein for breakfast and lunch! Protein helps increase your metabolism, if you wait until dinner to eat it you are missing out on prime time for your body to boost metabolism! You might be craving food all day because of the artificial sweetners. I used to drink 6-8 Diet Dr Peppers aday, I replaced it with Advocare Spark and I don't crave sweets anymore. I still eat them occasionally, but I don't crave them!

I'm pretty sure protein doesn't increase metabolism, and it definitely doesn't need to be eaten at every meal. Just make sure eat enough per day.

Incorrect: (Article from BodyBuilding.com) http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-what-is-thermic-effect.html

The thermic effect of food is the caloric cost of digesting and processing different macronutrients in your diet. There is evidence that scientists have known about this phenomenon since the early 1900s. Amazingly, despite what we could consider greatly antiquated methods, researchers over 75 years ago were able to accurately determine the different thermic effects of each of the different macronutrients.

"IF you eat 200 calories worth of protein, your body will use between 40 and 70 of them in digestion."Understand that there are no hard-and-fast values for the thermic effect of the different macronutrients, because research shows slightly different results from study to study. Granted that, here are some generally accepted parameters:

To put this in tangible terms, if you eat 200 calories worth of protein, your body will use between 40 and 70 of them in digestion. The most common estimate for the total thermic effect of food is around 10 percent of your total caloric intake, but as your protein intake increases so does this number.

While I agree; A blanent misstaement of fact should be pointed out:

"I'm pretty sure protein doesn't increase metabolism, and it definitely doesn't need to be eaten at every meal. Just make sure eat enough per day."
    [/quote]
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Oh, lord, if you're intolerant of gluten, eggs and soy, things have to be really difficult for you! First of all, if you've already lost 14 pounds and you're still losing inches, you're still doing great. Weight loss isn't linear, and inches/pounds don't always come off at the same time.

If eating smaller meals works for you, keep doing that. Do whatever works to keep your GI issues from flaring up, because then you may have water retention and inflammation issues, which can make it look and feel like you're not losing. Artificial sweeteners bother some people, but not others. It might be worth reducing them to see if things improve, but it's not absolutely necessary. You already have to restrict so many other things that it might feel like too much to cut one more thing out.

I agree that your protein might be a little low, and that you seem like you're missing fruits/veggies. If you feel like the fiber in veggies bothers your GI issues, you could try juicing. It could help you get some nutrients without irritating your system. It seems like it would be really difficult to find a protein powder that is gluten-, egg- and soy-free, but maybe a pea or hemp protein powder could help.

Finally, be observant when you choose low-fat or fat-free products. A lot of them have added sugars to compensate for the fat that's removed.
  • jonnythan

"I'm pretty sure protein doesn't increase metabolism, and it definitely doesn't need to be eaten at every meal. Just make sure eat enough per day."
    [/quote]

Indeed, indeed. New poster joined in 2011 with 22 posts and.... some actual knowledge. Monitoring this development.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member

[/quote]

Okay. This statement still doesn't sit well with me though:
    Protein helps increase your metabolism, if you wait until dinner to eat it you are missing out on prime time for your body to boost metabolism!
  • Amandabelanger614
    Amandabelanger614 Posts: 110 Member
    I just have to say you rock. I can't believe some of these responces.
    Oh, lord, if you're intolerant of gluten, eggs and soy, things have to be really difficult for you! First of all, if you've already lost 14 pounds and you're still losing inches, you're still doing great. Weight loss isn't linear, and inches/pounds don't always come off at the same time.

If eating smaller meals works for you, keep doing that. Do whatever works to keep your GI issues from flaring up, because then you may have water retention and inflammation issues, which can make it look and feel like you're not losing. Artificial sweeteners bother some people, but not others. It might be worth reducing them to see if things improve, but it's not absolutely necessary. You already have to restrict so many other things that it might feel like too much to cut one more thing out.

I agree that your protein might be a little low, and that you seem like you're missing fruits/veggies. If you feel like the fiber in veggies bothers your GI issues, you could try juicing. It could help you get some nutrients without irritating your system. It seems like it would be really difficult to find a protein powder that is gluten-, egg- and soy-free, but maybe a pea or hemp protein powder could help.

Finally, be observant when you choose low-fat or fat-free products. A lot of them have added sugars to compensate for the fat that's removed.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    I just have to say you rock. I can't believe some of these responces.
    Me neither! I think it's just being unfamiliar with what can happen to people who are exposed to allergens and not knowing how prevalent gluten and soy really are. My sister has celiac disease and I'm a vegetarian who tries to limit soy as much as possible because it gives me wicked headaches. You don't realize how many places they hide gluten and soy until you have to read every label before you eat anything. We have another friend who is also celiac and SUPER reactive, and when she gets glutened, it's not a minor "I just have a stomacheache," it's "I'll be home sick for at least a day, maybe two." Just focus on getting in as much nutrition as you can without upsetting your system, and you'll be fine.

Since you're not sensitive to dairy, could you try making some rice puddings and adding some milk with your rice at lunch? You could even add some dry milk powder for added protein, although I'm not sure if they add filler to dry milk powder or not. Something with blueberries and raw almonds, if you can have them, or do something savory with some veggies and some kind of meat?
  • Amandabelanger614
    I think i'm going to eat some chicken during my lunches also.

Still debating on giving up artificial sweetners. I for sure am going to stop with the greek yogure and start buying the "no sugar added" ice cream instead.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member

Still debating on giving up artificial sweetners. I for sure am going to stop with the greek yogure and start buying the "no sugar added" ice cream instead.

Just wanted to point out that cutting out your Greek yogurt could bring your protein intake down significantly, and ice cream isn't going to replace much. Is the chicken at lunch to replace the Greek yogurt?

Otherwise, I really feel for you on all of your food sensitivities- I'm lactose and soy intolerant. I avoid soy whenever possible (very small amounts are okay), but I haven't been able to give up on dairy yet. Lactaid pills are a Godsend.

If you're still losing inches I'd just keep doing what you're doing! Make sure you aren't having too much sodium, and drink water. If the artificial sweeteners don't bother you then I don't see a problem (they give me a headache). Give it some more time, and re-evaluate after a couple of weeks. If you still aren't seeing losing weight after 2 or 3 weeks, then you may need to reconsider whether your calorie level is too high.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member

Just make sure you read the nutrition label for anything that says "no sugar added". If you are trying to give up on artificial sweetners chances are that may be in that "no sugar added" product. At least that is what my experience has taught me when reading labels.

Chicken with lunch is a great idea!
  • anyamb
    anyamb Posts: 52 Member
    I think that if you are still losing weight and/or inches, then you are probably fine if that's your only goal. If you are also worried about nutrition/health, then I think that you should definitely try to incorporate more vegetables into your diet.

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out the lack of color in your diet plan -- everything is colored white to off-white or brown. One of the easiest ways to incorporate more nutrients in a diet without spending a ton of time over-thinking it is to eat a variety of colors, which can be easily achieved with vegetables.

Another reason that I'm harping on the vegetables is that they will up the amount of fiber in your diet, which I suspect might be a little low in your plan. Upping your fiber intake might be possible solution to to your GI problems; at least, it can be for many people.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    you said you've lost inches this month so clearly you are losing fat... probably gaining muscle as you lose the fat and so the scale isn't moving. i don't see a reason to change what you are doing unless a number is more important to you than the fact that you are losing inches.
  • kimid123
    kimid123 Posts: 16 Member
    I am training for the Body building Championships so yeah I guess you could say that.
  • kimid123
    kimid123 Posts: 16 Member
    I can't eat anything really that's processed. DId you read my comment of being intolerant to gluten eggs and soy?

eating 200gs a day - do you ever poop? eating 70 is making it already very difficult for me...but i have intense GI problems.
    I don't see a lot of protein in your diet... do you choose to stay away from lean meats as a choice or by medical necessity? If so, I would consider eating proteins through nuts, beans, soy, etc. There are some great protein powders and protein bars out there that help me boost my protein. Just an observation... I lose more when I make sure I eat my protein and keep my carbs under control.

THIS!!! I am currently dieting for competition and eating about 200grs of protein a day. Every meal (all 6 of them) include a protein of some sort. Also as another user stated its tough to tell without the macros listed.

LOL! Yes ma'am I do - but I also eat a lot of fibre and take fish oils. They help that stuff move along.

Why are you eating so much protein? Unless you're a bodybuilder or over 6' tall, your kidneys are likely filtering out half of that.

I am training for the Body building Championships so yeah I guess you could say that. I also do weights 4/5 times a week and cardio daily so I need to fuel it. This also isn't something I randomly decided to eat - it has been "prescribed"by an actual nutritionist.
    I wasn't stating that OP should be eating that much, just that she needs to eat more proteins in general.
    :)
  • Amandabelanger614
    Good morning - to anyone that replied to this...my adjusted meal plans for this week are.....

Breakfest -
    coffee with 1/2 artificial sugar zero cals & 1/2 scoop gluten/soy free protein shake
    1 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1/2 greek yogurt with zero cal sweetner
    60g trail mix

Lunch -
    1/2 cup brown rice with seasoning with stir fry chicken, red & green peppers and onions

Afternoon snack -
    herbal tea
    1/2 cup natural unsweeted applesauce cup

***workout***

Dinner -
    Some sort of cauliflower casserole
    (the last two weeks have been this one http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/2013/11/supreme-pizza-cauliflower-casserole-low-carb-gluten-free.html)
    1 serving in g of PB2 dehydrated peanut butter
    1 cup blue bunny ice cream sweetened with artificial sweetner
    1/2 scoop gluten/soy free protein shake (chocolate flavor)
    1 tbsp sugar free chocolate syrup
  • Mikulam93
    Mikulam93 Posts: 10 Member
    Its hard to say without knowing your height/weight but on a general basis.. Before i begin, great job with the water intake!

Now..

Before i nitpick the diet, your cardio levels are very high. 4 sessions a week is quite extreme. It will promote cortisol hormone levels to rise in your body (promotes fat storage). And you may end up with lean muscle loss and adrenal fatigue. I would reduce the cardio to 2-3 sessions per week and increase your strength training by 1 session/week. You don't need to train more than 5 days per week. Having 2 days of rest is perfectly acceptable. Try doing High Intensity Interval sprints for 20 mins x 2 times week (plus 5 min warmup and cool down). This will preserve your lean muscle (fat burning muscle) and also burn optimal amounts of fat. Then do 1 cardio session of your choice - eg. go for a swim, light jog or play tennis.

First thing i noticed - no carbs with breakfast?? If you're gonna eat carbs, then breakfast is the time to do it.
    Try eating 1/4 cup gluten free oatmeal in addition. You won't store it as fat as you will use this energy during the day and carbs are an essential macro nutrient. 1/4 cup of blueberries wouldn't hurt either.

2nd - Protein. Sorry - edit - i just noticed you're not much of a meat eater. As long as you're getting 100g a day of protein you should be fine. Otherwise try adding 100g chicken breast, or a can of un-flavoured tuna.

3rd - your raw fruit and vegetable intake is very low. Fruits and vegetables carry essential vitamins, minerals and fibre, which are all crucial to weight loss - especially fibre. Try adding a mixed salad in with one of your meals. For example, 1 cup of diced cucumber, capsicum and tomato, tossed with baby spinach.

4th - Too many artificial sweeteners.
    They're not good for you, they can mess with your hormones and are just chemicals, so basically poison..
    Your food should primarily come from clean and natural sources - lean meat, dairy, oats, brown rice, basmati rice, fruit and vegetables. I would eliminate the sweetener in your morning coffee for 1/4 tsp of honey.

For your GI - keeping your tummy happy and under control is priority - do you take probiotics? I suggest taking probiotics and digestive enzymes daily. I have IBS and these helped me incredibly. They keep your gut healthy and will help you digest the protein well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
    Check this out ^ make sure you are eating at least 100 calories above your BMR, but no more than 500 above.
    Never ever eat less calories than your BMR.

Anywho, i hope this helps a little

good luck :)