D'oh. Just figured out why I'm stuck.

Options
There's this big link on the blue bar at the top of the page? And it says "Reports"? And when you click it, you can see your compiled data for the last week or month or whatever? And one of the options is Net Calories?

Well. In the last 45 days, I've racked up 27 days under my calorie goal ... by about 50 or 100 calories per day. And I've had 18 days over my calorie goal ... by anywhere from 250 to 1,000 calories per day. So, on average, I'm eating at maintenance. I'm just doing it in the way that makes me feel as deprived as possible.

Math is a cruel, cruel mistress.

[places hands over face]
[shuffles off stage]

Replies

• lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    This made me giggle! Good for you for figuring it out and being accountable for it! Now that you know, you will totally fix the problem. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear... Your goal is not your TDEE. That bar in the middle, it's your goal, not your TDEE. Your TDEE would be 500 calories over it (assuming you log exercise calories too). So just because you eat under or over your goal doesn't mean you're eating above your TDEE, ie, it doesn't mean you're eating at maintenance (unless you're not logging properly).
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yup, I've been there. Those days where you think "It's ok, I have been very good lately!" can slow all progress when they occur too often. Good luck getting back on track!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being cheerful rather than saying "Daaaaaaang you are an idiot." Because I sure feel like one! :)

Yeah, I'm accountable. I mean, physics kind of holds me accountable, you know? I just wish I'd explored that mysterious "Reports" link a long time ago.

Also, here is a lesson I have learned: the "Just for today" mentality works *only* if you have the same goal every day. "Just for today I'll stay under my calories" alternated with "Just for today I'll enjoy extra snacks" doesn't work. I have to take a longer view.

Man, it's hard to take the long view and also think "just for today" but have the same goal and still not obsess about being perfect. It really is a mental game.
  • tapirfrog
    Options
    Just to be clear... Your goal is not your TDEE. That bar in the middle, it's your goal, not your TDEE. Your TDEE would be 500 calories over it (assuming you log exercise calories too). So just because you eat under or over your goal doesn't mean you're eating above your TDEE, ie, it doesn't mean you're eating at maintenance (unless you're not logging properly).

I've been thinking in terms of Calories Burned, Calories Eaten, Net Calories, so I now have to step away from the computer and really think about the whole TDEE thing as well so I can internalize what you've said. Thank you. I think I'm doing it right, but, well, I thought that before and see what it got me.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being cheerful rather than saying "Daaaaaaang you are an idiot." Because I sure feel like one! :)

Yeah, I'm accountable. I mean, physics kind of holds me accountable, you know? I just wish I'd explored that mysterious "Reports" link a long time ago.

Also, here is a lesson I have learned: the "Just for today" mentality works *only* if you have the same goal every day. "Just for today I'll stay under my calories" alternated with "Just for today I'll enjoy extra snacks" doesn't work. I have to take a longer view.

Man, it's hard to take the long view and also think "just for today" but have the same goal and still not obsess about being perfect. It really is a mental game.

This is actually how I maintain. I eat at a deficit M-Thurs, and then cut loose a little on the weekends. Even if I have a 500 calorie/day deficit during the week, I still have to watch what I eat on those off days or I'll start to gain weight.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I'm going to say that if the OP is occasionally below goal ( but also occasionally above goal by 250-1000 calories that there is a really really really good chance they are in fact averaging out at maintenance. The fact they aren't losing weight just makes that even more likely because when one is neither losing nor gaining...well. Then they're maintaining.

OT: Good for you for realizing there's a problem and looking into it to see where you're going wrong. A lot of people just continue on doing the same thing and then blame the process when really small user tweaks are what's needed.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Yes, this is correct. If you're averaging around that line in the middle, you should still be losing. I aim for a range around my calorie goal of 1500, not 100 or 200 calories under it!

ETA: But the fact that you are having more "high" days than "low" days tells me that you should probably put a little more focus on eating your calorie goal.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I'm going to say that if the OP is occasionally below goal ( but also occasionally above goal by 250-1000 calories that there is a really really really good chance they are in fact averaging out at maintenance. The fact they aren't losing weight just makes that even more likely because when one is neither losing nor gaining...well. Then they're maintaining.

OT: Good for you for realizing there's a problem and looking into it to see where you're going wrong. A lot of people just continue on doing the same thing and then blame the process when really small user tweaks are what's needed.

I agree with all of this. It's hard sometimes to swallow your pride and say, "Oh gosh... I've been doing this wrong. Well, no wonder I haven't seen the results I want!" But results don't lie--so, seriously, good for you for figuring out where you were off track. :flowerforyou: Hopefully you'll start seeing the results you'd like to see soon.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I know this feeling!!! The reports have helped me out a lot. Check them out on your phone too - they are really easy to read and you can get a 'weekly average' on the phone app that I don't think you can see on the website.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    :applause:

Great job for tracking honestly.

Great job at having a clear perspective on what the reports were telling you.

WAY TO GO! for making a positive change in response to your learning.
  • tapirfrog
    Options
    Say my TDEE is 1500. And my Net Calorie goal is 1300. So I can either eat 1300 calories and not move a muscle all day, or 1500 calories and walk for 45 minutes. Either way, my Net Calories come out to be 1300, and that's less than my TDEE, and the weight comes off.

Sometimes my Net Calories are 1200. Yay, I'm closer to my goal!

Sometimes I have a treat and my Net Calories are 1800. I'm actually eating more than I'm burning, yikes!

And if I eat too many treats above my Net Calories, they balance out my low days and they also balance out my TDEE and then I stay at the same #$@(*&#$! weight for months and I am maintaining and I want to scoop out my eyeballs with a spoon. Right?

Okay. Just makin' sure I got it all correct.

Next stop: deciding whether or not to press the big red button labeled "Do Not Press" on that wall over there. I'm working my way up to the hard concepts slowly.
  • tapirfrog
    Options
    :applause:

Great job for tracking honestly.

Great job at having a clear perspective on what the reports were telling you.

WAY TO GO! for making a positive change in response to your learning.

I really appreciate that. Thank you.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I love math and i love this thread! This is why TDEE works:flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I mean, physics kind of holds me accountable, you know?

You know that.

I know that.

But a whole lotta folks are still in denial...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Say my TDEE is 1500. And my Net Calorie goal is 1300. So I can either eat 1300 calories and not move a muscle all day, or 1500 calories and walk for 45 minutes. Either way, my Net Calories come out to be 1300, and that's less than my TDEE, and the weight comes off.

Sometimes my Net Calories are 1200. Yay, I'm closer to my goal!

Sometimes I have a treat and my Net Calories are 1800. I'm actually eating more than I'm burning, yikes!

And if I eat too many treats above my Net Calories, they balance out my low days and they also balance out my TDEE and then I stay at the same #$@(*&#$! weight for months and I am maintaining and I want to scoop out my eyeballs with a spoon. Right?

Okay. Just makin' sure I got it all correct.

Next stop: deciding whether or not to press the big red button labeled "Do Not Press" on that wall over there. I'm working my way up to the hard concepts slowly.

I highly doubt that your TDEE is 1500 calories, but yeah, I think you have the right idea.
  • tapirfrog
    Options

I highly doubt that your TDEE is 1500 calories, but yeah, I think you have the right idea.

Okay, thanks for confirming my stake in the ground is in a good place.

Yeah, my TDEE isn't 1500. It's 1750. I should have said "for example." I just wanted quick-n-e-z numbers to test my own reasoning with, and it seemed like "1300" and "1500" were easier to deal with while doing mental math and doing comprehension checks.

I guess if my newfound relationship with the "Reports" button doesn't help, then I will lower my Net Calories goal. And if *that* doesn't help, then I'll get my TDEE checked by something more accurate than an armband, if there is such a thing.

But one step at a time. First, I shall obey the mighty Law of Averages, the one that says "Eating sensibly all week does not allow you to consume an entire marionberry pie on Saturday afternoon."
  • tapirfrog
    Options
    I mean, physics kind of holds me accountable, you know?

You know that.

I know that.

But a whole lotta folks are still in denial...

But .. but the diet pills that cause uncontrollable oily anal leakage! The ads promised they'd work!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Okay, thanks for confirming my stake in the ground is in a good place.

Yeah, my TDEE isn't 1500. It's 1750. I should have said "for example." I just wanted quick-n-e-z numbers to test my own reasoning with, and it seemed like "1300" and "1500" were easier to deal with while doing mental math and doing comprehension checks.

I guess if my newfound relationship with the "Reports" button doesn't help, then I will lower my Net Calories goal. And if *that* doesn't help, then I'll get my TDEE checked by something more accurate than an armband, if there is such a thing.

But one step at a time. First, I shall obey the mighty Law of Averages, the one that says "Eating sensibly all week does not allow you to consume an entire marionberry pie on Saturday afternoon."

I've found that estimating your calories eaten/calories burned until you figure out where your estimated maintenance is and then dropping your calories eaten/increasing your calories burned is a good functional way of doing TDEE without having to science overly much.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    hey,,I didnt know that either,,I just looked at mine,,it says I have had 0 trans fats! is that even possible?..the rest of the vit are all good,but I take supplements anyway,and the net calories and such are up and down..probably like you actually maintaning and I didnt even know it,,I need to pay closer attention,but I am lifting as heavy as I can,so I am eating more lean protien,and never even count the handful of kale or spinach I put in my egg whites,really how many calories can a handful of kale effing have!