Weight machines 4 days a week

Options
I'm trying to go for losing a healthy 2lbs a week with weight machines for an hr 4 days a week. I got one of those HRM and it says I'm burning 300 cal each time and I try to run for 10 min after but do cardio 2 other days a week. Is there any Other things I can do to lose more a week? Am I doing everything right? Should I incorporate free weights or body resistance bands or use my own body weight exercises?

Replies

• lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello?
  • hcunn14
    hcunn14 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started about two weeks ago, and have stuck to 30 minutes of cardio (elliptical, walking on incline, stationary bike) whatever is available to you 5 days a week, and I try to do weight lifting all 5 after cardio but at least 3 days a week if I can't get to it all 5. Cardio burns fat while doing so, but strength training with weights burns long after the workout as well as during. The key is to get as many of your big muscles burning as you can.. That's allowing your body to burn the most fat throughout your body.
    Hope this helped!!!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    HRM aren't really supposed to be used to determine calorie burns with weight lifting, just cardio. As for the weights, once you feel comfortable with the lifts and your form is correct, I prefer free weights to machines. You will get better range of motion and engage your core and other stabilizing muscles. I usually do squats, bench press, dead lifts, lunges, calf raises, good mornings, biceps curls and tricep extensions with free weights. Body weight exercises and resistance bands are also good. I don't use bands, but I definitely do planks, push ups and pullups. Cardio is great, but I do it in a separate workout from the heavy lifting. Cardio combined with dumbbells, like circuit training, is a little different. I guess it depends on how heavy and how long you are working out. How long are you doing cardio on your 2 non-weight lifting days?
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing on the weight machines. Are you doing the same routine every day? You should give the same body part a day off every other day. So if you are doing the same exercises every day, I would do them every other day. If you are doing a splilt routine, then that is fine.
    Mike
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to go for losing a healthy 2lbs a week with weight machines for an hr 4 days a week. I got one of those HRM and it says I'm burning 300 cal each time and I try to run for 10 min after but do cardio 2 other days a week. Is there any Other things I can do to lose more a week? Am I doing everything right? Should I incorporate free weights or body resistance bands or use my own body weight exercises?

Looks like your target is 20 pound loss; not sure 2 pounds a week is realistic, sustainable or healthy. Typically for those this close to goal .5 to 1 pound a week is more realistic.
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on this plan?

Also, are you feeling challenged by the routine(s) you are doing? I know that I used to have a routine and I thought I was challenging myself, but I started working out with a friend at work who is a self-proclaimed gym rat. He pushed me to up my weight and challenge myself more. Not to the point I hurt myself. Everything is done safely. But it was a push that I needed, that really kicked my routine to the next level. And I have already noticed a huge difference.
  • law1558
    law1558 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Although cardio is a great way to burn calories, the most weight loss comes from nutritional changes. There have been numerous studies that show dietary changes can produce two to three more times greater weight loss than increasing your activity.

I know this to be so, because I used to "justify" my poor eating habits by claiming my time in the gym "earned" me the right to eat more...and then I wondered why I never lost significant weight.

It wasn't until I decided to focus on my diet that I saw changes in my weight.