Strength Training with a broken butt

Options
I fell down the stairs in spectacular fashion and have bruised my tailbone. My strength training program is stronglifts 5x5 (modified to 3x5 twice a week as running is my focus). Due to my tailbone issues, sitting, bending, squatting and laying on my back are very uncomfortable. So that leaves me with overhead press as doable. Aside from push-ups and planks, any ideas on what I can do for strength training for the next few weeks?

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Did you fall like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhay0VKmtPA

:bigsmile:

Bodyweight rows, chin-ups, calf raises, bicep curls, weighted push-ups. Possibly Bulgarian split squats?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Did you fall like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhay0VKmtPA

:bigsmile:

Bodyweight rows, chin-ups, calf raises, bicep curls, weighted push-ups. Possibly Bulgarian split squats?

Pretty close! Although faster and more cursing. Thank you for the suggestions. I really am clueless in the strength training arena, so I appreciate the help.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Is it just squatting or any sort of leg effort (adductor, abductor)?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What about the rows? Can you not do those.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I would recommend just resting for a week or so. You're not going to progress on your usual program until you've healed, and going off-program isn't really going to help you progress (unless you've come to a natural stall).
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    What about the rows? Can you not do those.

Can you do those standing up straight? It's the bending over part that takes them out of rotation?

This is serious. I really am this clueless about strength training. I've only ever done the 5 stronglifts lifts.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked about this! I slipped on ice and fell flat on my back last Tuesday and have been having the same issues. I have not had any problems doing shoulders/triceps or back/biceps, but legs and chest (laying back onto the bench with dumb bells - OUCH!) are pretty tough.

For my last leg workout, leg curls and bodyweight squats were the only things I could do without much/any pain. I am going to try doing barbell bench press on Sunday to see if it still hurts to lift the weight from a lying down position.

I hope we both feel better soon!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    Is it just squatting or any sort of leg effort (adductor, abductor)?

It's the squatting part. Leg stuff seems ok I think. It's the "sitting" part and getting up from "sitting" that is uncomfortable.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    bump again
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump for me, too. I had a ladder fall 12/12/2014 and haven't been able to do situps since.
    Luckily, have full range of motion, but canNOT pivot on the coccyx, even now two months later. Driving to work was the hardest part.

Lat pull down was great since there was no surface at my back. Mostly lunges (not as deep) forward and backward, side-to-side squats or lunges (again, not as deep as pre-ladder incident), plank, curls, dumbell shrugs, front raises, dumbbell bent-over rows, calf raises, dumbbell woodchop, and such. Interestingly, I could still bridge as long as I end with bum on the floor -- I had to roll out of it off to the side.

ETA: Re-reading your post, VitaminDDD, squats and such out for now. What about dips?