What do you guys suggest to eat instead of breads?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm really craving bread or pasta I substitute some cookies or cake. As long as it fits my calories (and sometimes when it doesn't).:blushing:

Free advice from a fat unicorn.

I like you. :flowerforyou:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Oh oh! And sometimes I get huge heads of romaine to make sandwiches with except they always end up being wraps because romainwiches leak. But yeah! Super tasty without bread! Then I go eat a pot pie.

I like the way you do things.
  • RhysWill_I_Ams
    Options
    Quinoa or Cous Cous. Both excellent alternatives. Can put anything savoury in with them and it'll taste great. For pasta look up Soba noodles. Much better.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm really craving bread or pasta I substitute some cookies or cake. As long as it fits my calories (and sometimes when it doesn't).:blushing:

Free advice from a fat unicorn.

I like you. :flowerforyou:

Aww thanks! I want your tummy!

:drinker: @pikaknight & achrya & usedtobehusky
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love bread/baked goods and I found it impossible to cut it out completely. So I don't. I just pick and choose the days I'm going to eat it. I always give myself a day to not care so much about my calorie goal and have whatever I want. I still practice portion control on those days. Then I'm back on track the next day. This works really well for me but I've seen other people on here say that it's not a good idea. Do whatever works for you. Good luck on your journey.
  • HarleyQuinnAddict
    HarleyQuinnAddict Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow. I went to work for a little bit and come back and there are way more comments that I had expected! Thanks to everyone that put in a suggestion for me. I'll be reading through all of them eventually. Lol Already got through a few and I appreciate the feed back very much.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Tortilla's. It wasn't intentional, but thanks to MFP, I just sort of stopped buying bread and now haven't bought a loaf in over a year. Tortilla's, however, we go through like crazy.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I prefer making my own, mostly pancake style, using whatever I'm in the mood for.

-- Besan flour
    -- Soy flour
    -- Bean pancakes
    -- Banana pancakes
    -- Oatcakes
    -- Flaxseed pancake
    -- Rice pancake
    -- Grit cakes
    -- Pumpkin, carrots, or potato pancakes/latkes
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with carbs. Just eat the bread!!!
  • ztaitaifufu
    ztaitaifufu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    flour products give me a stomach ache,,, subsequently a crappy mood and usually zits, so i eat lots of varieties of sweet potatoes and squash (winter, fall & summer types) also pumpkins and other starchy tubers, (taro, mountain yam ect) and fruits and other carbilious vegetables depending on the season. i have a lot of fun eating this way, makes me super happy and enthusiastic about the seasons & all the variety i get to eat every day : )
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I just eat bread/pasta in moderation. I make it fit within my calorie/macro goals and then I enjoy it guilt-free.

this x 1000

OP - is there a specific reason you are avoiding bread?
  • Naomibunluv123
    Naomibunluv123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    OATS!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Zucchinni noodles!!!! you can find all kinds of recipices online. I love to sub vegetables for where I would have traditionally used a grain.

Side note: Cauliflower is an amazing sub for bread, potaoes, and rice :)

http://www.drsarasolomon.com/cheesy-garlic-cauliflower-breadsticks/
    http://www.drsarasolomon.com/cauliflower-mashed-fauxtatoes/

*facepalm*

it is only a matter of time before some genius comes up with cauliflower ice cream ….good lord just eat the bread and stay in a calorie deficit..
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I substitute bread with more bread. I like to substitute this every day.

If you work on developing a healthy relationship with food (where dichotomies of good and bad, or guilt and comfort aren't part of your mindset) then there is no need to eliminate anything except when medically necessary. While it is not easy to achieve this it is much more sustainable and enjoyable in the long run.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I need my morning toast, and you can't do that with cauliflower!
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter on wheat toast every morning!

I do avoid wheat bagels now, just because they aren't worth it to me calorically or sodium-wise, and I don't eat "just because" bread anymore like they give you at Longhorn before you even order. If I am eating bread now, it's as a part of my meal, like toast or a sandwich.. or french toast! MMM!
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I need my morning toast, and you can't do that with cauliflower!

and if you could, I wouldn't! :bigsmile:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Bread stinks! I am addicted to the processed carbs to some degree as well, but my body and especially tummy feel so much better when I avoid bread. Go for whole grains instead of pasta- brown rice, quinoa, barley. Swap cereal for rolled oats. And if you can manage- it is tough sometimes- turn your sandwich lunches into salads. Big handful of lettuce then put sandwich stuff like tomatoes, turkey, avocado, chicken salad, etc on the salad. I like homemade dressings and dijon mustard vinaigrette to make it really taste more like a sandwich. Hope this helps and good luck on the war against processed bread! Remember a war is won one battle at a time :wink:

addicted to carbs but still eats carbs…*facepalm*
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Puda, chickpea crepes, you can google a recipe
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I use Flatout Light Italian Herb Wrap or the Spinach Wrap for 90 calories & 9 Fiber they are great.