Bulking without increasing my carb intake more

Hi MFP,

I am 22, 6'0 male. Currently about ~160lbs. I've been running a small deficit for ~3 months and working out a lot as I try to burn away the last of that belly fat before my first bulk ever (never had a flat stomach before, it is a current short-term goal). I haven't really decided how much I am going to eat when I start bulking, but I do know I do not want to eat more carbs. I am type 1 diabetic (since 16 y/o) and I am pretty conscious of it. I currently average ~200g of carbs per day (the range is like 150-250g per day). I see a lot of advice for bulking eat lots of foods that are calorie and carb dense (e.g. ice cream). I do not want that. Any good high calorie foods with a "normal" amount of carbs?

Thanks!

edit: I also have Celiac, so gluten-free too please :-)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Your only option would be to up your fats then. Fattier cuts of meat, full fat dairy products, nuts, nut butters, avocados, etc. More fat.
  • You could always try a keto bulk, take your bw times 20, so if your 160 3200 calories and eat them all based off protein and fat, keeping your carbs under around 50g per day, then do a refuel low fat high carb day every 4 days or so, do some research and see how you feel about it, but it's a great way to drive up your calories and keep your metobolism high while still torching fat, on keto your basicly running your body off ketones from fat rather than from glycogen from carbs.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Foods high in fat. Avocados, nuts, cheese, etc. When you cook add a lot of oil and fat to anything. For example instead of grilling meat make sure you fry it in good amount of oil. Make sure those carbs you ate are also in a lot of fat, like french fries boiled in oil for example. Make fatty souses to your foods. You don't have to ate all those unhealthy fat like butter and lard, you can use healthy fat sources like nuts, oils, etc and stay way below 30g of saturated fat a day, which is recommended maximum for males. That's what I do. Fat, fat, fat.
  • You could always try a keto bulk, take your bw times 20, so if your 160 3200 calories and eat them all based off protein and fat, keeping your carbs under around 50g per day, then do a refuel low fat high carb day every 4 days or so, do some research and see how you feel about it, but it's a great way to drive up your calories and keep your metobolism high while still torching fat, on keto your basicly running your body off ketones from fat rather than from glycogen from carbs.

This +1
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    You could always try a keto bulk, take your bw times 20, so if your 160 3200 calories and eat them all based off protein and fat, keeping your carbs under around 50g per day, then do a refuel low fat high carb day every 4 days or so, do some research and see how you feel about it, but it's a great way to drive up your calories and keep your metobolism high while still torching fat, on keto your basicly running your body off ketones from fat rather than from glycogen from carbs.

I disagree with this. I'm not a doctor,(I highly recommend the OP to run his bulk diet past his doctor) but the idea of a refeed for a diabetic sound freakin deadly. Diabetics should absolutely not be playing around with ketosis either.

OP please take everything you get here with a massive pinch of salt. Waldo, sidesteel, sarauk etc can maybe guide you, but this is not something I advice you to 'feel' your way through or experiment with.
  • Springfield1970
    Bulk

TDEE according to scooby (I put u in as moderate exercise) 2831.
    To add approx .5lb muscle and the approx unavoidable .5lb fat = 3500 extra cals per week
    Divide by 7 = 500 per day
    2831+500 = 3331 calories per day

Carbs first
    Your limit is 250 grams
    1000 cals

Protein
    Let's go high 160g (does anyone think he could go higher?)
    640 cals

Fat
    The remainder of the cals from fat
    Approx 1700
    Divided by 9
    188 grams fat

That's a lot of fatty meat and fish Greek yog, and nuts. Hope you got dollars! You are going to be meticulously weighing and logging your food too, as fats can get waaaay out and over and your bulk will become a fat bulk, remember you can only gain .5lb muscle per week approx.

I'd be tempted to do no cardio, just mild walking -to get your tdee lower during bulk, so you don't need the extra fuel, lift heavy three times per week.

Again. THIS IS NOT EXPERT ADVICE, but an interesting case for me and I will be reading the replies.Good luck!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Bacon, ribeye steaks, avocados, nuts, bacon, eggs, pork, whole milk, bacon
  • Springfield1970
    Bacon, ribeye steaks, avocados, nuts, bacon, eggs, pork, whole milk, bacon

Damn. I've got bulk envy now.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Bulk

TDEE according to scooby (I put u in as moderate exercise) 2831.
    To add approx .5lb muscle and the approx unavoidable .5lb fat = 3500 extra cals per week
    Divide by 7 = 500 per day
    2831+500 = 3331 calories per day

Carbs first
    Your limit is 250 grams
    1000 cals

Protein
    Let's go high 160g (does anyone think he could go higher?)
    640 cals

Fat
    The remainder of the cals from fat
    Approx 1700
    Divided by 9
    188 grams fat

That's a lot of fatty meat and fish Greek yog, and nuts. Hope you got dollars! You are going to be meticulously weighing and logging your food too, as fats can get waaaay out and over and your bulk will become a fat bulk, remember you can only gain .5lb muscle per week approx.

I'd be tempted to do no cardio, just mild walking -to get your tdee lower during bulk, so you don't need the extra fuel, lift heavy three times per week.

Again. THIS IS NOT EXPERT ADVICE, but an interesting case for me and I will be reading the replies.Good luck!

Absolutely he can go higher on protein, and he probably should in a bulk. I hit 170 grams yesterday with little effort, so for his bulk, it should be easier.

I'm not diabetic, but I am hypoglycemic and have issues with glucose spikes and lulls. OP, keep your carbs steady if you can. 200-250 is a good and manageable number for your plan. Fill salads and the like with higher fat items like avocados and creamy dressings. Certainly don't fear fatty cuts of meat, cheeses, yogurts, ricotta, etc. I know milk is sometimes great and sometimes bad (it's my go-to emergency "crash" stopper when my glucose gets too low) and given that you've lived with this for your lifetime, you know how to manage that.
  • SunofaBeach14
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    You could always try a keto bulk, take your bw times 20, so if your 160 3200 calories and eat them all based off protein and fat, keeping your carbs under around 50g per day, then do a refuel low fat high carb day every 4 days or so, do some research and see how you feel about it, but it's a great way to drive up your calories and keep your metobolism high while still torching fat, on keto your basicly running your body off ketones from fat rather than from glycogen from carbs.

I disagree with this. I'm not a doctor,(I highly recommend the OP to run his bulk diet past his doctor) but the idea of a refeed for a diabetic sound freakin deadly. Diabetics should absolutely not be playing around with ketosis either.

OP please take everything you get here with a massive pinch of salt. Waldo, sidesteel, sarauk etc can maybe guide you, but this is not something I advice you to 'feel' your way through or experiment with.

This is the best advice in this whole thread so far. Diabetes type 1 does not mean lower carb intake is better. Ketosis is not good for anyone, diabetes or not.

Smarter carb intake is the answer in this situation. Unfortunately I don't know what this means. I just have a vague idea, and so I can't guide someone with it. The other bad thing is, most physicians would probably not be familiar with bulking, and would therefore discourage it unless their patient was skinny. I would also think they would not encourage it for a diabetic--whether type 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. (yes, there are more than 2 types of diabetes.) But this doesn't mean you shouldn't bulk. On the contrary. It's probably good for you if done right.

I would try to learn as much about nutritional biochemistry as possible if I were in this position. It's about out-smarting the system, and working within the constraints you have to work within.

Hopefully someone who is an expert both on bulking and on diabetes type 1 will see this thread and reply.

That said, I would think bulking would entail eating more of what you already eat. Since you must be on insulin therapy for type 1, I would guess there might be adjustments required to your testing/treatment plan.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    It's a lot more complicated when you're type 1 diabetic as you have to maintain a fine balance with your blood sugar and insulin levels. You really need to speak with your team, particularly your endocrinologist and dietician, to work out the right regime for you so you're not wasting your time.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    It's a lot more complicated when you're type 1 diabetic as you have to maintain a fine balance with your blood sugar and insulin levels. You really need to speak with your team, particularly your endocrinologist and dietician, to work out the right regime for you so you're not wasting your time.

And don't take no for an answer if they tell you that you shouldn't bulk. Explain to them how important it is, and that you're willing to do whatever it takes to do it in a safe way. Worst case, find a physician who understands and is willing to work with you. Most are pushing weight loss instead of gain. But a good doc should understand how challenging it can be for type 1 diabetics to maintain a healthy BMI and gain weight...due to the diet restrictions.

I don't have diabetes, but I'm lucky enough to have a physician who understands that gaining weight in this way is important to me, and who is encouraging me to do it and is supportive of me getting into better shape in the long run. This physician works with a lot of people with diabetes.

There are also others who have done this; I know there are.
  • SunofaBeach14

^ This is really a very good point.

OP - please talk to your doctor. You may have to find a doctor who ask experience with Type 1 diabetic athletes for good guidance though so don't be afraid to look around for the right doctor.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    the only thing you really need to change diet wise from cut to bulk is to increase carbs as u need more protein in a deficit anyway. Why r u worried about carbs on a bulk?

for workoits increase volume or time under tension.

Did i miss something, but i dont see anywhere that the op is diabetic.???
  • Fithealthyforlife
    the only thing you really need to change diet wise from cut to bulk is to increase carbs as u need more protein in a deficit anyway. Why r u worried about carbs on a bulk?

I think he wants to be extra careful and make sure his body can handle the carbs, since he is type 1 diabetic.

In theory, a properly managed type 1 diabetic should be just like anyone else...in theory. But extra caution is warranted, as treatment parameters may vary with carb intake and weight gain.
  • Springfield1970

It's in his initial post. Very small and in lower case, but it should be in bold capitals! Scary stuff, makes me wonder how many people (with diagnosed or even undiagnosed conditions) who are taking advice from us that could have horrible consequences. People tread carefully!
  • alecno
    alecno Posts: 27 Member
    Thank you for the conscientious replies. As many of you guessed, I have no intention of dropping to a low-carb diet. Ketosis has put me in the ICU for 4 days before (generally how you find out you are type 1 diabetic). Insulin management is quite challenging as I reshape my body, and I have to monitor it closely. So as said in the title, I just wanted to try to maintain my current carb intake.

Unfortunately, I am not generally spending a lot on food as a full-time student. Hopefully I can figure out a way to bulk on a budget.

Edit: relevant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetic_ketoacidosis
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member

It's in his initial post. Very small and in lower case, but it should be in bold capitals! Scary stuff, makes me wonder how many people (with diagnosed or even undiagnosed conditions) who are taking advice from us that could have horrible consequences. People tread carefully!

I see it now, thnx
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Thank you for the conscientious replies. As many of you guessed, I have no intention of dropping to a low-carb diet. Ketosis has put me in the ICU for 4 days before (generally how you find out you are type 1 diabetic). Insulin management is quite challenging as I reshape my body, and I have to monitor it closely. So as said in the title, I just wanted to try to maintain my current carb intake.

Unfortunately, I am not generally spending a lot on food as a full-time student. Hopefully I can figure out a way to bulk on a budget.

Edit: relevant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetic_ketoacidosis

That's a good strategy...work with the amount of carbs you're eating now...and then if you need more later, you and your physician can work together to alter your therapy as needed.

One advantage you have over most people is that you're testing your glucose levels often. If you're the type of person who is into biology, and you put in the effort to understand all the details, it can give you more information about what you need during your bulk. Most of us don't get to test our glucose levels as often. But it can be valuable information while you're on a bulk.