Have a breakthrough

Options
This week I had a breakthrough and I wanted to share. I'll start with the fact that I work hard and I love working out. Mostly. Usually. I do StrongLifts 2x a week, do Krav Maga (Israeli martial arts) 2x a week, and then run a 5k or other endurance training 1x a week.

Monday, I was doing squats and working on form. It was heavy, but instead of thinking about how heavy it was, I just drove my hips up and did it. I realized that it wasn't actually that bad and I just had to get out of my own way. I went up 10lbs for this morning.

Last Tuesday during my martial arts warm up, it got hard like it always does, but I was feeling great. The instructor started counting down during a set of pushups and I realized that I had more gas in the tank so I WENT FASTER (3 more pushups in 4s). Other days I would have dropped my knees at some point because it was "too hard".

Last night I was back in class and I was red faced and puffing, but every time I thought about slowing down, I ran faster instead. It was liberating! I was literally growling as I did yet another ab exercise because I was pushing so hard. If the instructor said to do it, I damn well was going to do it, because I could! No skating by with the bare minimum, no holds barred. Do it or don't. If you haven't passed out or thrown up, you can keep going

(**Disclaimer** This is for people without certain medical issues, and also does not apply to lifting weights once form has deteriorated).

I'll be honest and say that my body is a big, sore mess today, but I feel so accomplished and empowered. Get your head in the game, go hard, and don't let anyone, especially yourself, tell you what you can't do.

Carry on :flowerforyou:

Replies

• OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Good job. I have been training with a nasty oblique strain for about a week. Nothing will get in my way. Champions are made, not born
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Good job. I have been training with a nasty oblique strain for about a week. Nothing will get in my way. Champions are made, not born

Injuries make pushing hard a bit dicey. It's better to take it easy, than to turn a minor strain into something major that keeps you from training at all for a while. Hence my disclaimer. Keep going, but listen to your body too until you're 100%.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! That's what I learned from working with a trainer. What I thought was hard isn't really pushing hard. Hard is uncomfortable, but feels awesome when you achieve something new. I kept asking my running friends how to improve my pace. I got great advice. But after learning to push hard, I realized a big part of the answer was just "run faster".
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! That's what I learned from working with a trainer. What I thought was hard isn't really pushing hard. Hard is uncomfortable, but feels awesome when you achieve something new. I kept asking my running friends how to improve my pace. I got great advice. But after learning to push hard, I realized a big part of the answer was just "run faster".

Exactly. Stop thinking about running faster and just run faster!