Gross Question - workouts & "bathroom issues"

Options
So I workout everyday sans the weekend but I get in my workout doing other things but I've noticed something that I thought was just coincidence but it's helping now every time so I want to know if this happens to others and if so, any way to stop or reduce the issues.

Every time, and I mean EVERY TIME, I do an ab workout even just crunches within 20 minutes I'm in the bathroom with "issues". The first couple times I just assumed I ate something bad but now, for the past several weeks this keeps happening. I don't know what the heck is going on. It's to the point that I dread doing any kind of ab workout cuz I know I'm gonna be sick. I don't have this issue when I'm on the treadmill or weight training but do an ab workout and I have issues.

HELP!!!!!!

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Have you gone to a physician to rule out any medical issues?
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    What do you mean by 'issues'? Unless it's super tmi, but I'm not sure what you mean.

Unless you mean abgasms? Which have happened to me a couple of times and it's annoying when at the gym.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Have you gone to a physician to rule out any medical issues?

I do have IBS but it's well controlled. I mentioned it to my doctor but he was unconcerned but he had never heard of this happening to other people though either lol.

As for the "issue", it's a rather nasty bout of diarrhea.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It could be the pressure being put on your stomach or/and the strengthening of that area.

It could also be more diet related versus exercise related. Maybe too little or too much fiber, not enough protein, etc. If you doctor isn't concerned, maybe give it another 4-8 weeks and see how things go.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Probably pressure and constant motion in the abdominal area. The digestive tract is essentially a hollow tube. So impact and movement will agitate things inside it.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Sounds related to IBS.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I could take a guess that the exercise is pushing your food through your tract before it has had time to digest, thus the problem. Not eating food for several hours prior to working out and/or more fiber may work????