New. Loosing weight

Options
My name is karey.
I used to be on here about 3 years ago when I lost weight for prom. Since then I'm 21 and I've gained 20 lbs.
In the following 3 years.
My right kidney has taken a nose dive.
I have twisted muscles and limpoiads in my back causing me a great deal of pain.
Surgery is out of he question.
I just told if I don't get my life together and start bring healthier I would loose my kidney
And may possibly not be able to walk at 30.
I currently have so much pain in my back I can't even arch it.
I look foward to the day that I can!
So please follow me enlighten me on what worked for you.

Replies

• Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight.

Even if u still eat a bit junk food you'll still lose weight because you're eating at a deficit.

I hope you're backpain, and kidney problem get better soon xx
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    The good news is you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

++Track for a week or two before worrying about losing. This way you'll see where you really stand, odds are it is different than where you thought you were, which is actually good news...

++Be scrupulously honest... you can lie to your friends, you can lie in your diary, you can lie to yourself, but YOUR BODY KNOWS EVERYTHING YOU EAT. So you might as well be honest in your diary (keep it private if you like) but you need that info because you can't get where you are going if your are not honest about where you are right now.

++See where you can make small changes on things that aren't so important to you.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

++Focus on what you should eat not what your shouldn't.
    Eating your nutritious foods first. Your body will be more satisfied and have less cravings.

++Small sustainable changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress.
    (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort, sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves. Also rather than having to think about everything all the time. You only have to think about a 2 or 3 new things to focus on.

++Rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. (I swear this saved my life.) I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

++Only worry about it 1 lb at a time.
    Forget I *NEED* to lose 20, 30, 50, 100 lbs. I'm only worried about 1 lb the next one. I'll worry about the others later.
    Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. )

++Think of losing weight like the stock market. Yes, there will be fluctuations but as long as the overall trend is the the right direction don't worry

Food is not the enemy. You need nutrition to fuel your body and make it strong. and healthy just feels so damn good.

Most vitamins are fat soluable... so remember to include plant and fish based fats (HAPPY FATS) so you can access the nutrients in your food.

All of your foods fall into 1 or more of 3 macro nutrient categories
    FATS • CARBS • PROTIENS ... I personally think it's unwise to severely restrict any one of these categories.
    Instead of eliminating or limiting quantity focus on the quality...

HAPPY FATS (Plant and fish bases)
    COMPLEX CARBS (un or minimally processed)
    LEAN PROTEINS

Oddly enough, on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occasional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time, now the occasional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Ditto what auntibabs said. Log everything to see where you stand at first then develop a plan. You just need to burn more calories than you eat, which can be done without exercising at all.

I have chronic pain issues, so I can understand how difficult it can be. Have you tried a warm water pool? Water walking, gentle stretching, aqua yoga etc can be very helpful for getting some movement in without the additional stress on your body. Has your doctor considered physical therapy? They could really help you figure out the type of movements that will help you.
  • b2kelly
    Options
    That has to be a serious wake up call eh? If you drink anything but water I would stop that right away. Getting surgery in America will financially destroy you and ruin your life and happiness forever I am so fortunate to not live there. You need to really buckle down and make yourself healthy through food choices you make... follow the framework of MFP it will really help you. I would also avoid acidic foods and chose foods that are more alkaline in nature. If a serious health scare like that doesn't propel you to want to change then I don't know what to say...
  • KareyKommited
    Options
    I would like to reply to guitar jerry.
    For his rude and ignorant reply.
    If someone comes to this site looking for actual help and you're first reply is to be a COMPLETE ****HEAD.
    Wooh my spelling was off. You know it's so easy typing on a phone screen then a ACTUAL keyboard .
    Apparently college didn't "teach" you manners.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    When you lost it the first time, what'd you do then?

What worked for me? A calorie deficit. How'd I achieve that deficit?

Here.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Move more. It's really that simple.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • hkied
    hkied Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I hurt my back in a car accident, everytime I gain weight it hurts...... but when I exercise and lose weight I feel awesome. Thats why I am back on mfp so dont give up maybe your body needs you to lose so you can feel better. friend me if you would like!
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I would like to reply to guitar jerry.
    For his rude and ignorant reply.
    If someone comes to this site looking for actual help and you're first reply is to be a COMPLETE ****HEAD.
    Wooh my spelling was off. You know it's so easy typing on a phone screen then a ACTUAL keyboard .
    Apparently college didn't "teach" you manners.

Don't let posters like that get to you. Seriously, they are all over the MFP forums blowing smoke up their collective arses and giving each other high fives about how witty and snarky they are. Just wade through Mr. Superior's mad "college level" articulation skillz !!1!1!11!!!!1!!111!1, because he done gone and got hisself the brain smarts, and you will find honest gems like trogalicious' post.
    I've been perusing the forums quite a bit these past couple days and if nothing else, it's been a lesson in how to ignore people who obviously need a cupcake... or something, because the deprivation is making them really cranky. It's no wonder us fat folk have a wrap for being jolly; compared to that kind of attitude I must seem like I'm freakishly ecstatic all the time.
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What worked for me is going to college and also learning to spell. Reading also improves vocabulary and teaches you how to properly communicate an idea.

Had a quick look at your profile. It would appear you never learnt to consistently use capital letters at the start of a sentence or when referring to your own name. Now, I wouldn't usually be so petty as to correct you but you were quick to take a swipe at some girl who is having some serious health issues asking for a bit of advice. Charming. ;-) (Oh and it's 'I'm' not 'im' - you're welcome). :flowerforyou: