College Student looking for Change

Options
Hey, I'm a college student and my weight has skyrocketed. It has gotten out of control.
I have a really busy schedule with classes and homework so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the kind of food I can get thats quick in the morning or anyone who wants to be my friend on here and just be an accountability buddy?

Replies

• 6ronXtreme9
    6ronXtreme9 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    college student here add me :)
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    hi sweety! from a college crazy kid to another: MEALPLANNING IS YOUR BFF! take a day (and not even a day a few hours even!) to plan ahead your meals, or if your college offers a meal plan to study it and select what to eat and what not. Try to schedule not only classes but also when you rest so you get a good rest and avoid mid night snacking and keeping your body fresh and renew for another crazy day.
    About breakfast, oatmeal is my no.1 choice, is easy tasty and filling! you can add COUNTLESS fruit choices to add a lil something extra, anyways I'm adding you! college girls together!
    take care! xo
  • b2kelly
    Options
    College was a horrible eating period of my life... Utilize the tools this site provides and stick to it, that is all I can suggest.. you need to find what works for you weather its this site or weight watchers or any other program.. It is a serious test of will power because of all the negative influences around being at college.. battle through
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of slicing up an apple and putting it in a ziplock for days I'm on the go.
  • ichigofruit
    ichigofruit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm also in college, currently in my 2nd year. The unlimited dining plan and college lifestyle have taken a big toll on me as well. I have a goal of losing about 80-90 lbs. Like some of the other posters here suggest, planning your meals is a big part of it. If your'e eating at a dining center on campus, check out their website. Most of the time they'll have a list of nutritional information that you can use to plan your day. As for quick meals, I keep a stash of granola bars, greek yogurt, and snack veggies in my fridge pretty much all the time. I also have a wonderful single serve blender that I use to make smoothies in, which works really well for an on-the-go meal.
    The other important thing is to make sure you have time during the week to exercise. I've found it easiest to devote the same times/days a week for exercise. It gets easier if you make it a steady routine.
    Good luck to you! Feel free to add me on here as well. :)
  • lecounth
    lecounth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I work at a college and in Campus Dining, one person is the point person to talk about making healthy choices in the dining hall. She gives students lots of ideas on how to fill up and make good choices despite the fact that the dessert bar is always open!! See if your Campus Dining services has a person like this to help you navigate options.

Find a work out buddy, too. Walk around campus. Take PE classes to hold yourself accountable.

College is a big transition with lots of stressors. Take charge of yourself because no one else will.

Good luck!!
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    College student here. I stand by @hellomanen. Meal planning! I make my breakfast the evening before (smoothies, quinoa dishes, some sweet treats, etc). You might fall in love with cooking this way too.
  • b2kelly
    Options
    The unlimited dining plan and college lifestyle have taken a big toll on me as well.

HAHAHA I also had this plan through college mine was called Heavy Eaters Plan (It was like a $6500 food budget throughout the semester) I played football and figured I would need the food.. Needless to say at the end of the semester I had like $3000 left on my plan that I had to spend or the college would keep it. Well me and some friends backed up a Uhaul to the cafeteria and actually unloaded like all of the candy, chips baked goods everything, cleaned it right out.. My advice to people going to college just get the regular plan it is more then enough. Those were the days hahaha
  • dossett0424
    dossett0424 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on wanting to get healthy! To be completely honest, no matter what anybody says on here- healthy eating is the only solution. I wouldn't refer to it as a "diet" because what you should really be doing is establishing healthy eating habits to use throughout your life. If you want to learn for free I would suggest Scooby's workshop! He is very knowledgeable and has several videos and guides discussing nutrition. Good luck and I hope everything goes well!
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    The unlimited dining plan and college lifestyle have taken a big toll on me as well.

HAHAHA I also had this plan through college mine was called Heavy Eaters Plan (It was like a $6500 food budget throughout the semester) I played football and figured I would need the food.. Needless to say at the end of the semester I had like $3000 left on my plan that I had to spend or the college would keep it. Well me and some friends backed up a Uhaul to the cafeteria and actually unloaded like all of the candy, chips baked goods everything, cleaned it right out.. My advice to people going to college just get the regular plan it is more then enough. Those were the days hahaha

:laugh:

Really though, plan your meals ahead of time. I spend 1-2 hours on Sunday chopping fruits/veggies and cooking enough protein for the whole week. Then I just keep it in the fridge so I can put meals together in under 5 minutes during the week. It's a life saver when you're always on the go.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    I think I lost like 20lbs my first year...
    Anyways, here's what I lived off of mostly: canned tuna, cottage cheese, whey protein, yogurt, pasta, oatmeal, whole grain cereal and practically ate nothing but vegetables at the cafeteria due to limited space to store vegetables.

Looking back, I think surviving off of frozen vegetables, eggs, egg whites, whey protein, and tuna would have been a good minimalist approach only needing a microwave and a frying pan. Use the whey strictly for commuting and oats if you're into carbs.
  • ArtsyGarbage
    Options
    I'm in college, you can add me if you want c:
    in the mornings egg whites are really fast...or I mostly blend up something in my nutribullet.
  • Trae3
    Trae3 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had lost weight previously and gained all of it back plus more through my high school graduation transitioning into college. Although Im still taking courses i am very motivated to get healthy!! Anyone feel free to add me as Im sure we can support each other and give each other some tips!
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hey I'll add you I'm in college too.. just finishing my 4th year and then heading to grad school. Like everyone else said.. planning is key. I have never lived in res, I live at home.. eating my parents never ending supply of junk food and carbs. I started taking the time to buy my own groceries, prep my own meals 90% of the time. Sometimes you remember you're gonna be at school all day the next day at 8 pm so I throw 3-4 chicken breasts in the oven sprinkled with whatever spices I want and I've got easy lunches and dinners for a few days. I love just chopping up a chicken breast on salad for next days lunch - easy to make the night before and I keep the dressing separate so it's always fresh for lunch. I also will cook a large piece of salmon one night, and portion it out. I don't really like to take fish for lunch because it's kind of stinky and usually I'm eating in class or meetings so I'll just make enough for maybe that night and the next couple nights. I always have canned tuna on hand for last minute meals. Can it it plain if that's your style but I usually add some salt and pepper and a tbsp or two of half fat mayo and then eat it like that or add it to a slice of bread with some pickles :).

The key for me I found was protein. Protein at every meal keeps me full all day. Carbs from bread make me kind of bloated which I didn't even notice before until I started spending those calories on other things so now I don't even like to eat more than a slice of bread at a sitting. And in the morning... shakes! The magic bullet is my bff. Protein powder is one of the cheapest protein sources you can buy. Mix with a bit of fruit, sometimes I add cocoa powder, usually add a couple tsp of flax oil for healthy fat and it's delicious! But shakes with protein are also good meal replacements for a lunch/ evening where you feel lazy or are on the go and don't wanna make a whole sit down meal.
  • SlopesK
    Options
    I am a college student, and I am working on the same things! I'd love to be friends through these challenges!
  • froggiebecky
    froggiebecky Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Another grad student here! Feel free to add me and we can cheer each other toward our goals!

You don't mention if you live in a dorm or someplace with more access to cooking facilities.

My go-to for breakfast is boiled eggs and a piece of fruit (apple, banana, orange, whatever's in season). I find carbs just burn up in the morning. I also did string cheese (portion control) with a banana for a while. Also a poached egg (from the microwave) and toast.
  • kkopp93
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Between college and getting a concussion that put me on bedrest for about 6-8 months I have gained an extra 100lbs in the last 2 years and its horrible. I have some health issues that prevent me from working out as much as I'd like but I'm starting out slow. Any of you are more than welcome to add me, the more the better :P
  • kkopp93
    Options
    Oh, and I have a microwave and a small, itty bitty fridge in my room but we do have access to a kitchen on the first floor with a stove.
  • Desert_flower3
    Desert_flower3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey there... I am a university student second year. I understand your pain. I gained weight 1st year of uni, it was so hard to find something especially living in the dorm. You can add me.
    I also suggest eating a bunch of fruits in the morning. They are nutrious, delicious and filling and don't take time to prepare.
    also Oats are good or even eggs omelets, they take less than 5 mins to make.