Am I running wrong?

Options
So I have never run before, even when I was a child I hated doing it. I played soccer with my DH tonight and was reminded why. My shins hurt whenever I run. It does not seem to matter what I run on or what shoes I wear or anything. I want to start the C25K right away and am hoping I don't just have to live with this! Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to a running store and getting fitted for a pair of shoes. They will watch you run then guide you towards the appropriate shoe for your needs. I have flat feet and using a stability shoe makes a big difference.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet too and the running shoe store people helped me get a pair that had proper stability and arch support. That sure helps. There are some shin warm ups you can do too, to help minimize the shin splints - a simple one is to trace the letters of the alphabet twice through with each foot. The coolrunning.com website has some other helpful hints to minimize shin splints too. I have just started C25K 2 weeks ago so I am just learning all this stuff too :)
  • wallyshiraz
    Options
    I have flat feet as well and was getting shin splints when I started p90x doubles routine about 2 months ago but I wen't to foot locker and bought me a pair of the new Air Max 2010's and believe me they are the lightest and most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. Last night I ran 4 miles for the first time in my life and I barely feel it today...I just finished running for 30mins tonight...I still feel great. These shoes rocK!
  • nahhan12
    Options
    I have trouble with shin splints too. I get them SO EASILY that I've had them just from walking before or to the point that it hurts just to drive... What works best for me is to make sure I stretch my shins/calves really well before and after cardio, and then to very very gradually work may way up with running. I'm talking walk 5 minutes, run for 30 seconds, and repeat type of "gradual". If that doesn't help and you want to become a runner it wouldn't hurt to look into seeing a physical therapist to help you re-learn how to run properly so it doesn't become a lasting problem.
  • angiereid
    Options
    everything everyone else said plus don't run everyday giver your legs a rest and drink a nice glass of chocolate milk after your run
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, my shins were so sore. Over a couple of weeks, they strengthened and stopped hurting. I would do what the others suggested and get a good pair of shoes, go slow, listen to your body, and also do shin strengthening exercises (writing the alphabet with your toes).

Good luck!