Put on a pound and I'm not sure how.

Hi guys,

I recently logged back in after a couple of months of not logging and not weighing myself but generally sticking to my new healthy way of life, with a few blips here and there. I weighed on Monday (in the morning, naked, after toilet) and logged my new weight. All was good.

I only log weekly but I weigh in regularly just to check everything is going okay. I weighed on Thursday and had put on a pound. I'm a big guy and I have a lot to lose so my maintenance calories are about 2800. I KNOW I haven't been exceeding this. I put it down to too much sodium and drank as much water as I could to flush it out.

Weighed again this morning and I'm still up that pound. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I should say that when I first started, the weight was flying off me so I know there's nothing wrong with me that's preventing weight loss.

Is it possible that the Monday weight was an anomaly and the new weight is my 'true weight'? I know I shouldn't get disheartened and it's only a pound but seeing the scales go the wrong way is kinda scary.

Thanks, guys.

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Your weight can fluctuate ~3-5 lbs depending on hydration and a ton of other factors. I'd probably wait a week and see if you are seeing progress.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    It's normal body fluctuations. My guess is a bit of water retention. Sodium or an increase in exercise are usually the culprits. Give it some time and it'll go back down.
  • DelCB
    DelCB Posts: 11 Member
    Take a look at the sodium content in the foods in your daily food journal. I have found looking at the food dairy on a lap top or desk top verses a mobile device is a little easier to see everything. I only lost .5 lbs today and was shocked because I was doing so well and my weight was lower earlier in the week than it was this morning. When I looked at the sodium content in some of the foods eaten yesterday, I realized I had exceeded my sodium goal. Sodium increases water in your body and consequently will increase your weight.

I was surprised to learn, the amount of sodium in my salad dressings and cheeses that I have selected to eat. Also, I love to eat Swai fish, very low in calories but high in sodium. I love to eat shrimp, again low in calories but high in sodium.
    Sodium was never a concern for me because I do not suffer with high blood pressure, but sodium is sodium and it will add some water weight.

Another thing to look at is your water intake. Are you drinking at least 8 cups of water?

A final thing to look at, are you recording all of your food, including the small bites or one or two crackers consumed throughout the day. It all adds up in the end.

A thorough review of your food diary should help you to analyze why you gained instead of losing. Hope this helps.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    Keep us posted on your weight, next week, next month and tell us how many times that happens as your weight decreases.