40/30/30

Options
I'm trying to form my diet around 40% carbs, 30% fats, and 30% protein for the last week, but each day I end up not having enough protein or fats in my diet, but enough carbs. I still closely match my daily calorie intake, usually under by 100-200.

Are there any foods that can help me get those necessary proteins and fats in my diet without going over my daily calorie goal?

Replies

• tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Try some almonds.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    There's tons of food out there that will match what you want. eggs are a good source of protein/fat. Chicken of protein. nuts for fat and assuming you're eating the good stuff, you already know where your carbs are coming from. I'd say simply increasing your protein intake will probably take care of your fat intake. (because if you read on with my babbling, you'll see where proteins are usually accompanied with some fat).
    It's just something you're going to need to research.
    Really basic, you could eat some chicken,some vegetables and then a few almonds for dinner or something to get the right balance of protein, carbs and fats. The types of foods are important but the portions you are serving are almost as important.
    You can supplement to give you the extra fats or protein you need. e.g. Some fish oil for fats, some protein powder (and water) for protein. Just make sure you remember that the word supplement actually has a real meaning other than powder etc.
    Don't confuse a meal replacement with a supplement ... or fall into a marketing "slim shake" nonsense taht will magically burn fat (this is probably just giving your body a balance and some fats so that you will loose fat). Just look at your food, then figure out where you're deficient, then if you can't do it through food, or, because of time, it can be worthwhile to supplement your diet. Not replace.
    All this low fat low carb low everything will mess with your plan, you need all of these things to function (stay alive), build muscle and loose weight (hard to do both at same time). I think it's good that you're trying to eat fats, proteins and carbs rather than "low this" etc. Sometimes, choosing the low fat option makes it really hard to get your cals and your nutrient balance - as well as suppress hunger Especially, IMHO, for guys..

40/30/30 is also the zone diet ratio, so it may pay to look into that diet to see how it all fits together.

Here's a link to a usefull doc that starts to explain it in the crossfit "paleo" sense. You don't have to subscribe to the dogma but the information is still valid for the 40/30/30 split.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/cfjissue21_May04.pdf

Per this doc:
    7 grams of protein = 1block of protein
    9 grams of carbohydrate = 1 block of
    carbohydrate
    1.5 grams of fat = 1 block of fat
    (There is an assumption that there is
    about 1.5 grams of fat in each block
    of protein, so the total amount of fat
    needed per 1 block meal is 3 grams.)

So if you work off of this guide line for portioning, you can use/find foods to form your meals that will give you variety in what you eat, balance and also fall inline with that 40/30/30 split.

Also, if you're working out hard, a good source of protein is simply a casein shake before you go to bed at night. Pop a fish oil tablet with a meal and you may be set.
  • Nikki_Marz
    Options
    You might also want to consider adding a protein shake to your diet (pay attention to the nutrition values on them, some are higher in carbs than others, while others are higher in fats, so pick one that suits your needs), or more dairy products like milk and cheese will give you a higher protein and fat intake without bumping up your carbs much.