Thirsty all the time?

misspenny762
misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Before I started MFP I wasn't drinking near enough water a day... probably between 3-5 glasses. Now that I've been drinking from 8-12 I find that I'm always thirsty and often can't make it through a small snack - even a watery one like a piece of fruit, without one or two glasses. My mouth feels dry all the time and sometimes I even wake up in the middle of the night parched, which never happened before. Is this normal? What does it mean?

Replies

• Best get your MD to check you out or get you blood sugars checked - excessive thirst is an early sign of some serious issues like diabetes that are best caught early.
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    I believe there was another topic similar to yours a couple of days ago. One response stated that once your body gets used to those 8 glasses a day it is thirsty if you miss even one. The explanation also said something like when you don't get enough water your body stores it cuz it doesn't think it will get anymore so maybe that's why you weren't so thirsty. Want your body know it's gonna get all that water I guess it get greedy. I hope somone else can help you better than I did.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Errr . . . Pre-diabetes and/or hypoglycemia has that as a major symptom. Not sure why it'd show up now that you're eating healthier, but depending on what you're habits were and what they are now, it's possible that your blood sugar is a little out of balance and that's what's causing the thirst.

Check it out online, and if you have some of the other symptoms, go to the doctor to get tested.
  • misspenny762
    I don't have any of the other symptoms of diabetes or hypoglycemia, and in general I'm quite healthy. I appreciate your concern but I highly doubt that's it.

I might have found a more likely cause though. I was looking up causes of dry mouth and apparently it can be caused by some acne medications, and I'm currently taking several, hmm. Fortunately I have an appt with my dermatologist coming up tomorrow so I can discuss it with him.

Can't shake the feeling that it has something to do with my change in water intake, though.
  • misspenny762
    Double post, my bad.
This discussion has been closed.