HRM Calories vs. Machine Calories

Options
I just recently purchased a HRM and the calories on there are different than the ones on the machine I'm using that also has a HRM. Which one would be most accurate and how accurate is a HRM watch? Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would think the HRM that you are wearing! Are you wearing a chest starp? I have a HRM and I have a chest strap and when they sold it to me they explained that the strap is what calculates your heart rate (makes sense) I have a Polas HT7. The HRM is against your body. The machines at the gym are used by how many people and are not as accurate. This is just my thoughts.

Swoopette
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things that all add up to calories burnt. Age, weight, heartbeat, pace, and breating. Most things just track a few things. My money is on the things that monitor heart rate, weight and pace. those 3 things would be what I consider the most important. Also remember, nothing is exact. Just pick something that will be standard for you.
  • sk_letsdothis
    sk_letsdothis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things that all add up to calories burnt. Age, weight, heartbeat, pace, and breating. Most things just track a few things. My money is on the things that monitor heart rate, weight and pace. those 3 things would be what I consider the most important. Also remember, nothing is exact. Just pick something that will be standard for you.

you're right that does make sense...my watch has my age and weight, but the machine I'm using at home doesn't have that option to input it, so I guess I'll be using the calories from my watch! Thank you so much! :smile:
  • gottagetitoff
    Options
    Your hrm is more accurate. The # on the machines is an estimate. It's a basic formula used as opposed to your hrm in which you entered your personal statistics. So again it is a formula, but YOUR exact numbers are in that equation...
  • k1979k
    Options
    I asked a similar question a couple of days ago and got some really helpful responses:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/119737-hrm-calories-burned-seem-huge

One interesting point someone made was:
    "when using your HRM remember to back out the calories you would have burned at rest anyway as those calories are already included in your base amount. Lets say you worked out for 90 minutes and on average you burn 1.5 cals per minute at rest you would take the 1100 from your HRM and back out 135 (90minx1.5cals/min) and enter 965 into MFP. "

I hadn't thought to factor that in.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    I am glad after reading this thread that I ordered a HRM. I am definitely going to ignore the machine and just rely solely on the HRM.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

you're right that does make sense...my watch has my age and weight, but the machine I'm using at home doesn't have that option to input it, so I guess I'll be using the calories from my watch! Thank you so much! :smile:

Does your HRM have a chest strap?