Lawyers pushing Attorneys General to sue"Big Food"

Options

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    What ever happened to the notion of personal responsibility in this country? We have become such a litigious society it is freaking disgusting. burn yourself on some hot coffee, sue; want to have transgender restrooms, sue; and on, and on and on …
    Right! I mean, it's not as if trial lawyers have been the highest paid professionals since at least Ancient Rome...

Oh wait, they totally were. We're not a litigious society, we're a litigious species.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Note to self - Eat a dozen donuts each day for breakfast. Eat more all day long.
    Need to get back to obesity so I can be included in the class action suit. Yes, I would like to super size my order.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What ever happened to the notion of personal responsibility in this country? We have become such a litigious society it is freaking disgusting. burn yourself on some hot coffee, sue; want to have transgender restrooms, sue; and on, and on and on …
    Right! I mean, it's not as if trial lawyers have been the highest paid professionals since at least Ancient Rome...

Oh wait, they totally were. We're not a litigious society, we're a litigious species.

so its ok because lawyers have been being paid since ancient rome? That makes no sense whatsoever…

And I am pretty sure that if someone tried this 100 years ago in this country they would of been laughed out of the building...
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    so its ok because lawyers have been being paid since ancient rome? That makes no sense whatsoever…

And I am pretty sure that if someone tried this 100 years ago in this country they would of been laughed out of the building...
    It's not a question of "ok", it's a question of human nature being what it is.

The standard fee just for presenting the opening statement before a judge was equal to a week's wages for a skilled laborer, and pleading a case was equal to a month's. This gives us an idea of how in demand their services were... namely a lot!

Neither of us were alive 100 years ago, but the historical record suggests that "personal responsibility" is an admirable personal value but has never been all that important on a societal level.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Just more people looking for a free handout. Personal responsibility...what's that again?
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree that people should take responsibility for their overeating, but at the same time, I feel some sodas should have versions with a fourth of the sugar. It doesn't make sense to me that either you buy super sugary drinks or you get water.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I agree that people should take responsibility for their overeating, but at the same time, I feel some sodas should have versions with a fourth of the sugar. It doesn't make sense to me that either you buy super sugary drinks or you get water.

Aren't those known as 'diet' sodas, or 'sugar-free?'

3212414322_ron_jeremy_xlarge.png

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Aren't those known as 'diet' sodas, or 'sugar-free?'

3212414322_ron_jeremy_xlarge.png

<< Stares at can of Coke Zero. Naw, we need change, man!
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    'Big food' companies are providing less calorie/fat/sugar dense food options more and more now. No doubt it's in response to consumer demand and not ethical responsibility but they could certainly argue that they are providing choice and that the onus is on the consumer.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,006 Member
    Options
    'Big food' companies are providing less calorie/fat/sugar dense food options more and more now. No doubt it's in response to consumer demand and not ethical responsibility but they could certainly argue that they are providing choice and that the onus is on the consumer.
    More nutritional information and knowledge the consumer knows the more money they make. Diet alternatives everywhere, no sugar options, no fat options no trans fat options, no wheat option....all for the same product.......got to love the free market. I'm sure they're waiting for the next big marketing and diet fad to come along so they can diversify once again........ Nobody in Thailand knows what a calorie is, nor do the need to....j/k.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    More nutritional information and knowledge the consumer knows the more money they make. Diet alternatives everywhere, no sugar options, no fat options no trans fat options, no wheat option....all for the same product.......got to love the free market. I'm sure they're waiting for the next big marketing and diet fad to come along so they can diversify once again........ Nobody in Thailand knows what a calorie is, nor do the need to....j/k.
    I'm curious about whether people are eating this stuff though. For me it's opened up a world of choice at the food court. Now I don't have to blow half a days calories on lunch at the shopping centre if I don't want to. I can choose something reasonable from many of the outlets without being accused of 'always being on a diet' by my mother. :laugh:

I'm interested to see how many of the alternate choices stay on the menu and what the next fad will be. Clean eating at Maccas?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,066 Member
    Options
    Maccas

I am so.

out of the loop.

do we still say that, or is that too 2001?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I like the self serve taps where you can blend 50/50 diet and normal to get something like this.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    And how many of the plaintiffs in this action will spend their check on a gym membership and fresh food, and how many will just be able to afford a better quality of 5000 calories a day? Sigh.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,059 Member
    Options

Or if somebody tried this in any country outside of USA they would be laughed out of the building.

It wouldn't get off the ground in Australia - just a different cultural mind set to litigation, I guess.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Maccas

I am so.

out of the loop.

Everyone in Australia still calls it Maccas - perhaps the whole country is out of the loop.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Or if somebody tried this in any country outside of USA they would be laughed out of the building.

It wouldn't get off the ground in Australia - just a different cultural mind set to litigation, I guess.

Actually, Australia is incredibly litigious, almost as bad at the USA. Major changes to torts/personal injury laws back in 2006 slowed it down a lot, but it's still out there. Our media doesn't really pick it as newsworthy, however, so unless you're in the industry you don't see the extent of it. All you need to look at is the size of Slater & Gordon, lol.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Maccas

I am so.

out of the loop.

Aussies call Maccas Maccas so much that Maccas changed their signage to "Maccas" for Australia Day, and actually refers to themselves as "Maccas" in their advertising.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    So we pay taxes to the government to pay farmers to over produce corn for HFCS to sell to companies, then sue the companies for using HFCS in their products... okay makes perfect sense. Murika is grate!
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Are you in Australia Alaterial?

Do you think this relates to our fancy for shortening words? - you know, like 'the rellies are coming for Chrissie pressies' which probably sounds ridiculous to all other English speakers?

I still don't think a fast food lawsuit like this would get off the ground here - but, you are right, I don't work in the industry so I could be wrong.