Strange weight loss patterns

Options
Just wondering if this is normal or not... I'm just finishing week 6 of tracking on MFP. I don't know my starting weight because I didn't get a scale until after week 1 was over. But week 2 and 3 I didn't lose ANY weight. Week 4 I suddenly lost 4 pounds. Week 5 I lost a few ounces, but pretty much nothing. Now week 6 I somehow managed to lose 5 pounds. I'm guessing it has to be related to water weight somehow, but I really hope I'm not eating so little that I am able to lose 5 pounds in a week???

I just think it's weird that some weeks I barely lose anything, and other weeks it comes off quickly!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. You can lose weight and it won't show on the scales as the fat cells still hold onto the water then suddenly the water goes it whats technically known as the 'Whoosh' effect so it looks like you've lost a lot in a short time. It varies from person to person how this effects them. So to answer your question yes it sounds pretty normal to me. Congratulations on your loss
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,982 Member
    Options
    Humans can have weight swings of up to five pounds that are not even related to actual weight/fat loss.

Some things that affect weight are: sodium, exercise, hydration, sleep, stress, hormones.

Don't give too much credence to a number on the scale until it sticks for a week at least.