Anyone had weight gain from zoloft?

MamaRandall
MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I just started taking Zoloft a month ago and am worried I might start gaining weight. I have heard rumors that it may make me, but I am hoping that is not the case. Anyone had any experience with this??
In the past month, I haven't had any changes in appetite or anything of that nature. But i do feel like I could sleep all the time and that has me concerned too. However, I do happen to work graves and am usually getting between 4-6 hours of sleep and lately, I have been sleeping 7-10. So part of me wonders if my body just got burned out and I am blaming it on meds.

Replies

• haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    I've never been on zoloft myself, but my mom took it a few years back and she gained quite a bit of weight on it. She still hasn't been able to get it all back off. Just be careful hun.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Yes, all SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) cause weight gain. I'm on Wellbutrin which does not work on serotonin. It works on dopamine and norepinephrine. It does not cause weight gain and also helps with pain (the norepinephrine part).

I also work graveyard shift and get little sleep during my work week. Zoloft will make you sleepy, too. My antidepressant will keep me awake, so I take it when I get up in the afternoon. Take the Zoloft about an hour before you go to bed.
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Thanks for the advice! It definitely has me a little worried. I'm on a pretty low dosage and use it for anxiety, but may just talk to the doc about either switching or getting off it all together. I mainly wanted to get on it to see if it helped me at all.
This discussion has been closed.