Help explain the numbers

Options
Ok these numbers are not specific to me just using them as an example.

My daily intake is supposed to be 1800 calories. Now working out I burn 500 calories so I am actually netting 1300 calories a day. So people say that is not enough so I need to eat what I burn?? This is where I don't understand. Why eat what I burn? Aren't the extra 500 calories just that-extra burn? If I have to eat what I burn then why burn them in the first place?

I never understood this with weight watchers either. You get activity points then you can eat them?? I need someone to explain the benefit of eating what you burn cause to me and my mind that is not productive to work out then eat what you just worked off.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you use the MFP recommendation, it already has the deficit factored in. If you don't do any exercise that day and eat your target, you're still at a deficit. If you exercise, you should eat those calories back to maintain your consistent daily deficit. That's how MFP is designed.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    goes back to you BMR, basal metabolic rate, so basically what your body needs to exist. So while eating under that can result in some really awesome weight loss it can also lead to other not so great side effect, some of them might seem to not be such a big deal, so what you feel a little tired and grumpy. Long term and it can sometimes lead to medical issues, funny bloodwork, vitamin and mineral deficiencies/abnormalities, changes in hormones and metabolism.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If you ate 1800 and burn 500 then you are in 500 calorie deficit, so you don't have to ate them back otherwise you would be on maintenance and would not lose weight. BUT, if 1800 calories are not your maintenance but already a deficit and your maintenance is lets say 2300 then you are already in 500 cal deficit by eating 1800 cals. So if you would also burn 500 on top of it that would put you in 1000 calorie deficit. And so huge deficit is not healthy that's why you should ate them back, for health reasons. Cos you don't wanna pass out on a street or just feel tired all day cos your deficit is too high, do you? But not if 1800 is your maintenance.

If you have to eat what you burn then why burn them in the first place? Well, apart from that being a way how to put yourself in deficit (in which case you don't have to ate them back if deficit is not too high) cardio and working out is also a good way how to keep your body healthy to live long and feel good. It also speeds your metabolism so you might start to lose fat even if you are on maintenance if you do work out.
  • Hozman121
    Hozman121 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you ate 1800 and burn 500 then you are in 500 calorie deficit, so you don't have to ate them back otherwise you would be on maintenance and would not lose weight. BUT, if 1800 calories are not your maintenance but already a deficit and your maintenance is lets say 2300 then you are already in 500 cal deficit by eating 1800 cals. So if you would also burn 500 on top of it that would put you in 1000 calorie deficit. And so huge deficit is not healthy that's why you should ate them back, for health reasons. Cos you don't wanna pass out on a street or just feel tired all day cos your deficit is too high, do you? But not if 1800 is your maintenance.

If you have to eat what you burn then why burn them in the first place? Well, apart from that being a way how to put yourself in deficit (in which case you don't have to ate them back if deficit is not too high) cardio and working out is also a good way how to keep your body healthy to live long and feel good. It also speeds your metabolism so you might start to lose fat even if you are on maintenance if you do work out.

Thank you-perfect explanation