How much cardio and running should I do?

Hi. My goal is to bring my blood pressure down (around 135/85) and lose weight mainly around my belly because I don't see to be carrying fat elsewhere.
I'm using the calorie app and I've reduced my calorie intake a lot but I also want to exercise to increase my fitness and aid weight loss.
I've been very inactive for a long time and I've started doing 25 minutes of home low impact interval cardio everyday to ease me in but I'm now thinking about also starting c25k as well. C25k is only 3 days per week and I think may be quite light exercise in the beginning so should I continue doing my home keep fit too and how frequently? Should I do it on the same day as running? I'd most likely run in the morning and do my cardio in the evening. Today I walked just over 4km in the afternoon and then did my cardio in the evening but I'm not sure if that was for the best. I feel fine but I know rest is important. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt

Replies

• You will need to eat less calories than you expend, so log all your food.

You will lose fat, but from where is not something you can control.

I would try HIT once you are able, it also burns a lot of calories (google for several programs).
  • vsprocket04
    vsprocket04 Posts: 26 Member
    I posted something similar. Last week, I go to the gym 3 x per week and do 40 mins cross trainer 40-50 mins tread mill and weights in each session. A lot of people suggested around 30 mins per session, but for me personally that's not enough as I like to push myself to see me burning more calories x
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    You can do all the low intensity cardio you want (slow to moderate pace walking, etc). You'll probably want to ease into whatever.

I wouldn't do HIIT until you have a decent baseline to work from, say after you finish the c25k program. You can also try to incorporate resistance training on the days you don't do cardio.

Just be mindful that a lot of what you are trying to accomplish lies on the food intake side of the equation.
  • mattjhussey
    mattjhussey Posts: 14 Member
    You can do all the low intensity cardio you want (slow to moderate pace walking, etc). You'll probably want to ease into whatever.

Thanks. This is an interval keep fit type video but without jumping because I found things like that a bit much to ease in. It's a challenge to do each day but I like that I'm doing something each day to get my heart rate up.
    I wouldn't do HIIT until you have a decent baseline to work from, say after you finish the c25k program. You can also try to incorporate resistance training on the days you don't do cardio.

Ok. That's good.

Just to clarify, my cardio isn't to lose weight but to get my heart rate up and maybe improve my fitness a bit. If it burns calories then great but that's not really my main intent.
    Just be mindful that a lot of what you are trying to accomplish lies on the food intake side of the equation.

I am watching this and have changed my diet to reduce intake. My Net calories each day is below my target (1360) although sometimes the intake itself is above that but exercise brings it back. On a couple of days I've actually had my intake well below (500-800) and I've had to hunt out something to boost it to avoid the app shouting at me for starving.

I did a trial of the c25k week 1 this morning and it wasn't too bad although I think I tried too much pace early on and my jogging is a bit flat footed but I can improve. I intend to start week 1 properly on from Wednesday with Wednesday, Friday and Sunday being my running days then I'll do my keep fit at home each evening too.

I have another appointment at the blood pressure clinic in about 6 months and I'd really like to go in with a bit less weight (already lost a some), a better blood pressure and to be able to say I actually exercise rather than sit at a desk all day.
  • mattjhussey
    C25k is a great app! I am on week four :) Starting week 5 on maonday :)
    Except I make the three day programs into 6 -7 day programs. Also I dont allow myself to go forward untill I have accomplished the work out 2-3 times :) I think it took me two weeks to do week 3!!!!!

I love cardio for the challenge, the sweat, the conditioning, and the calorie burn :) I personally would reccomend 30 mins minimum of cardio everyday and strength training/weights 3 -4 times per week.

These are my personal preferences and are not backed by any science. That being said I lost my first 70 lbs by hiking my dog every day for an hour or two:)

Start with whatever gets you interested and moving, work up from there :)

I'm not actually using the c25k app. I've programmed the intervals into runtastic pro so I can have the gps, graphs and vocal speed feedback while running.

I've not actually considered strength/weights yet.
  • mattjhussey

Thanks. This is an interval keep fit type video but without jumping because I found things like that a bit much to ease in. It's a challenge to do each day but I like that I'm doing something each day to get my heart rate up.

Ok. That's good.

Just to clarify, my cardio isn't to lose weight but to get my heart rate up and maybe improve my fitness a bit. If it burns calories then great but that's not really my main intent.

I am watching this and have changed my diet to reduce intake. My Net calories each day is below my target (1360) although sometimes the intake itself is above that but exercise brings it back. On a couple of days I've actually had my intake well below (500-800) and I've had to hunt out something to boost it to avoid the app shouting at me for starving.

I did a trial of the c25k week 1 this morning and it wasn't too bad although I think I tried too much pace early on and my jogging is a bit flat footed but I can improve. I intend to start week 1 properly on from Wednesday with Wednesday, Friday and Sunday being my running days then I'll do my keep fit at home each evening too.

I have another appointment at the blood pressure clinic in about 6 months and I'd really like to go in with a bit less weight (already lost a some), a better blood pressure and to be able to say I actually exercise rather than sit at a desk all day.

If you are just starting out go SLOW like a mini jog! I am 5'3'' and when I started a slow jog for me was 4.5 mph. I now jog at 5.2 mph on a .5 incline :) If you dont start slow you could hurt yourself, worse yes lose any motivation and excitement you may have :)

I've just looked at my graph and the first 2 intervals where I struggled a bit was near to 10kph/6mph. I then slowed to about 8.5kph/5mph and this was easier. Walking sections were about 6kph/3mph. Defnitely helped slowing down so I'll set my app's intervals to about 5-6mph so I stay in a good range. Average pace was 6.7kph/4mph including walking and jogging. I think it was quite positive and then I had a relaxing 15 minute walk home at 5kph after stopping off for a coffee. All in all a nice hour this morning.

My main problem is that many years ago at school I was a sprinter and could never work out running distances. I was all for burst speed in sprinting and rugby so jogging was always hard even though I wasn't unfit. I just had to run as fast as possible, which means the maximum I could do then was maybe 1km before having to stop. I came 7th out of 300 in a cross country at school once without training because I cheated and used someone who'd been training to pace myself but I could never do that myself and just run until I burnt out. I need to get around this and slow down to allow me to go further and hopefully this app will allow me to pace myself.
  • mattjhussey
    C25k is a great app! I am on week four :) Starting week 5 on maonday :)
    Except I make the three day programs into 6 -7 day programs. Also I dont allow myself to go forward untill I have accomplished the work out 2-3 times :) I think it took me two weeks to do week 3!!!!!

I love cardio for the challenge, the sweat, the conditioning, and the calorie burn :) I personally would reccomend 30 mins minimum of cardio everyday and strength training/weights 3 -4 times per week.

These are my personal preferences and are not backed by any science. That being said I lost my first 70 lbs by hiking my dog every day for an hour or two:)

Start with whatever gets you interested and moving, work up from there :)

I'm not actually using the c25k app. I've programmed the intervals into runtastic pro so I can have the gps, graphs and vocal speed feedback while running.

I've not actually considered strength/weights yet.

I love runtastic too! That is what I use all spring/summer/fall when I run and hike! Wish I knew how to program the workout into it! I am doing the treadmill training app right now as it is winter here in NH and COLD!

I do cardio to condition my heart as well. I have BP issues and I attribute them to a lifetime of sedation and junk food. With the weight loss and cario my cardiovascular health is getting better, slowly :)

I'm hoping the same happens for me :)

The blood pressure place aren't really helpful so I'm trying to do it myself. I'm just below hypertension so I'm only on the watch list for now but I'd like to get off that and feel healthier too.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Hi. My goal is to bring my blood pressure down (around 135/85) and lose weight mainly around my belly because I don't see to be carrying fat elsewhere.
    I'm using the calorie app and I've reduced my calorie intake a lot but I also want to exercise to increase my fitness and aid weight loss.
    I've been very inactive for a long time and I've started doing 25 minutes of home low impact interval cardio everyday to ease me in but I'm now thinking about also starting c25k as well. C25k is only 3 days per week and I think may be quite light exercise in the beginning so should I continue doing my home keep fit too and how frequently? Should I do it on the same day as running? I'd most likely run in the morning and do my cardio in the evening. Today I walked just over 4km in the afternoon and then did my cardio in the evening but I'm not sure if that was for the best. I feel fine but I know rest is important. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt

Hi Matt..

I started with the same goals as you, to reduce fat and improve my blood pressure, cholesterol etc.

I started with food regulation and straight cardio…riding a bike 12-20 miles 4 times a week, and then getting into c25k and now long distance running.

Cardio with a decent healthy diet is what worked for me, but I do believe in addition to your c25k ( which does get progressively harder) you should add some sort of resistance/weight training for weight loss.

C25k changed my life…I ended up running my first marathon a year to the day I started it.

Good luck with your goals.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    If you love running or are looking to enter an event or join a running club (which are great things to do by the way) then ease into and build in some strength training.

However if you are only running as a way to help lose the weight then cardio is probably the least effective exercise to do to help with that.

If your just getting back into training then try body weight resistance training.

A good site to get help from is www.nerdfitness.com

However if it is running that floats your boat, ease back into it and try to add in sprints once a week.

Good luck with whatever route you go down????✋
  • mattjhussey

Matt

Hi Matt..

I started with the same goals as you, to reduce fat and improve my blood pressure, cholesterol etc.

I started with food regulation and straight cardio…riding a bike 12-20 miles 4 times a week, and then getting into c25k and now long distance running.

Cardio with a decent healthy diet is what worked for me, but I do believe in addition to your c25k ( which does get progressively harder) you should add some sort of resistance/weight training for weight loss.

C25k changed my life…I ended up running my first marathon a year to the day I started it.

Good luck with your goals.

What sort of resistance/weight training helps? I'm a bit strange because when I've told people I'm overweight and borderline obese they think I'm lying because all the weight is on my belly and my legs and arms are quite normal. Under a work shirt the belly hides and I look fairly normal.
  • mattjhussey
    If you love running or are looking to enter an event or join a running club (which are great things to do by the way) then ease into and build in some strength training.

However if you are only running as a way to help lose the weight then cardio is probably the least effective exercise to do to help with that.

If your just getting back into training then try body weight resistance training.

A good site to get help from is www.nerdfitness.com

However if it is running that floats your boat, ease back into it and try to add in sprints once a week.

Good luck with whatever route you go down????✋

Reducing the calories is my way of trying to lose weight really. The cardio like running and keep fit videos are really to try and get my heart rate up to increase some fitness.

This strength fitness is intriguing though and I'll have a look but I don't know where to start. A major issue I have is that I really need to do stuff from home due to commitments to the kids. I can do a video while they are around but I can't disappear off to a gym and have no room for equipment at home.
  • mattjhussey
    I just looked at the nerdfitness vids and they are the sort of thing I'm wanting to do at home but I need to work up to them. They don't look too dissimilar to what I'm doing now except that it doesn't have intervals. The thing I'm doing so far is intervals including half push ups, planking, crunches, lunges, etc.
  • tennisdude2004
    Hey that's great, it's all about building up.

I would say that it's best to start somewhere.

For example if a video or workout plan is suggesting 3 reps and you can only do one - then do one and pretty soon you would have conditioned yourself to do 2 and then 3 and so on and so on.

Getting started - is all about getting started and if your current level is 20% of what is being suggested then that's fine. Just when you do your next work out try for 22%. As long as you aim for a higher level each workout then that's exactly how'll you'll get there.

But don't be too unrealistic with your next goal (what I mean by that is if this week your hitting 30% of where you want to be then on the next workout don't aim for 50%, aim for say 35% - and within no time you'll be at the 50% mark and before you know it you'll be hitting 100%.

Also there will be workouts when you feel you may have gone back a step - don't worry about those ones there blips and everyone gets them.

Good luck????✋
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    HIIT improves health markers. Bicycling all out for 30 seconds, resting for 4 minutes, then repeating a few times done twice a week can be as effective at making you healthier as running for 30 minutes every day. They both have their place, but you'll likely get the most bang for your buck with HIIT.
  • tennisdude2004
    ^^^^^ agreed. Highest of five of your doing 2 lots a week. I'm just about managing to do them the once.

It's a love hate thing - love doing hate how much it hurts (joking OP). It doesn't take that long to do but boy you know you've had a work out. Plus unlike just cardio the calorie burn doesn't stop at the end of the exercise, in fact during the exercise you won't burn that much, the real calorie burn happens for the 24 - 48 hours after.

Give it try????
  • tennisdude2004
    To add to this - it doesn't have to be on a bike you can do it on a rower, or if you've got a local park near you you can just do some 15-30 second all out sprints (all out just means how fast you can go). Same thing again a good 2 - 4 minute rest depending on how long you need to get your heart rate down and repeat a few more times (or as many as you can manage). If you can only do the one sprint for say 10 seconds start there. Next time try for 2.
  • I have noticed that a lot of people that are trying to loose weight are so worried of what they eat and log it as if it was their full-time job. I have been on the paleo diet since January and i lost 18 pounds so far. I workout 3-4 times a week and things are good to go.
  • tennisdude2004
    Diet is definitely important.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    My PT says you can't out train a bad diet!! Just saying................
  • mattjhussey
    My PT says you can't out train a bad diet!! Just saying................

This is why I've swapped Salami, Cheese, Ginsters, Coke, Crisps, Popcorn, etc for eggs, fruit and water in most cases.